Extra curricular activities while in math?

• Thread starter Tvm44
  • Start date
In summary, the author from Australia does not think that student leadership roles at their freshman dorm will help them in their goal to obtain a PhD in math. However, they think that continuing to do the things they enjoy will be more beneficial in the long run.
Tvm44
So this is my first post in PF :)
I'm not from the US/Europe and I'm from (and studying) a country with a "bad science culture." (Can't find the words to describe) Yeah, and I'm currently a freshman taking up mathematics
So how bad? Well, I'm at the best university at the country and less than 10 physics major graduates each year and almost all the math majors head to actuarial science.
And even if my univ has the best math program in the country, only the required pure math courses are available. I've never met anyone taking up set theory or algebraic geom.
But the professors are great though, with almost all tenured profs having PhD from US/Japan/Germany.
And as a background, I came from the best high school in the country, excelled in math there, and actually won a national competition. And as of now, I have the best gen. weighted avg (GPA in US) in our class. So I think I have what it takes to do good in math.
But I have a dilemma.
I'm currently a student officer at the freshmen dorm, and to be honest, I'm a good leader. And some upperclassmen who are officers want me to take leadership roles too. Of course I want that :) I want to lead and do successful projects.
But the problem is, I think it is too time consuming. Right now I'm not bothered cause I'm only taking up single variable calculus + 4 humanities, but I fear that when I take up analysis and algebra, it will start to affect my grades.
I really want to obtain a PhD in pure/applied math, and I want to take it abroad, where the math program is more recognized/ offers more courses.
So will this student leadership stuff benefit me? And what are some tips on doing well on undergrad math, specially analysis and algebra? :)
Sorry for the long first post.

tl;dr I want to obtain a PhD in math. But I also want to do extra-curricular activities during my undergrad. Will that benefit me in my goal to get a PhD?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it will not help you very much with respect to obtaining a PhD. But that's not necessarily a reason not to do the extra curricular things. You can't do math day in day out, it will be exhausting and you will burn out quite soon. Everybody needs some extra curricular things to change their mind from math all the time.

If you enjoy the activity, then do it!

You from Australia Tvm44? ANU?

Thanks micromass :) So I think I should continue doing what I like.

chiro, I'm not from Australia. I'm from the Philippines.

What are some tips for doing well in undergraduate math, especially in analysis and algebra?

I understand the importance of extra-curricular activities in shaping a well-rounded individual. However, in the field of mathematics, it is crucial to prioritize academic success and focus on building a strong foundation in the subject.

While leadership roles and extra-curricular activities can be beneficial in developing important skills such as time management and teamwork, it is important to balance these commitments with your academic studies. At the end of the day, your grades and understanding of the subject matter will be what matters most in pursuing a PhD in mathematics.

In terms of tips for excelling in undergraduate math, my advice would be to actively engage in class, ask questions, and seek help when needed. It is also important to practice regularly and seek out additional resources, such as textbooks or online lectures, to supplement your learning. Additionally, it may be helpful to form study groups with classmates and participate in math-related activities, such as competitions or conferences, to further enhance your understanding and passion for the subject.

Ultimately, while extra-curricular activities can be beneficial, it is important to prioritize your academic studies in order to achieve your goal of obtaining a PhD in mathematics. With hard work, dedication, and a strong foundation in the subject, I have no doubt that you will succeed in your academic pursuits. Best of luck!

1. What are some examples of extra curricular activities related to math?

Some examples of extra curricular activities related to math include math clubs, math competitions, math tutoring or mentoring, coding clubs, robotics clubs, and Math Olympiads.

2. How can participating in extra curricular activities while in math benefit my academic performance?

Participating in extra curricular activities while in math can benefit your academic performance in several ways. It can enhance your problem-solving skills, critical thinking abilities, and mathematical reasoning. It can also provide additional practice and exposure to different math topics, leading to improved understanding and mastery.

3. Can participating in extra curricular activities related to math help in college admissions?

Yes, participating in extra curricular activities related to math can help in college admissions. It can demonstrate your passion and dedication towards the subject, showcase your leadership and teamwork skills, and make you stand out as a well-rounded student.

4. Are there any extra curricular activities for math that I can do at home?

Yes, there are several extra curricular activities for math that you can do at home. You can participate in online math competitions, enroll in online math courses or workshops, watch math-related videos or documentaries, or even start a math-related blog or YouTube channel.

5. How can I balance extra curricular activities while also maintaining good grades in math?

Balancing extra curricular activities while maintaining good grades in math may seem challenging, but it is possible with proper time management and prioritization. It is essential to plan ahead, set realistic goals, and allocate specific study time for math. Additionally, participating in extra curricular activities can also enhance your time management and organizational skills, which can ultimately help you balance your academic and extracurricular commitments.