Extremely rare "ball lightning" phenomena caught on video.

In summary, ball lightning is a rare, high-intensity electrical discharge that is often misidentified as UFOs.
ElliotSmith
Extremely rare ball lightning phenomena was captured on video.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, ElliotSmith!

Highly improbable. Observe the context of the video: no additional elements except the recording camera.

Greetings!

Nice one, but without details and some post-case investigation it's not really useful.

Please note, that 'ball lightning' is not like UFOs - they are just unexplained, but their existence is mostly accepted and considered worthy of research.

Last edited:
Likes Klystron
It's hard to believe that's not a sentient being. It just trots across the track and heads off into the trees

rsk said:
It's hard to believe that's not a sentient being. It just trots across the track and heads off into the trees
I'm not seeing anything that implies sentience. It just moves in a more or less straight line. So what?

It knows exactly where it's going.

rsk said:

Certainly acts like somebody who has some urgent matters in the bush o0)

• Haha
Likes DennisN, Wrichik Basu and rsk
rsk said:
That's not an explanation of why you think that. I'll take a guess and assume that because you don't know/can't see what is making it move, you are jumping to an assumed conclusion that it is intelligence (which, note, still doesn't explain how it is moving). That's very unscientific thinking.

Likes Vanadium 50
That'll be it, I'm sure.

ElliotSmith said:
Extremely rare ball lightning
rsk said:
Rive said:
Certainly acts like somebody who has some urgent matters in the bush
Ball lightning are like Cicadas -- they stay hidden for many years, and only surface to, well, you know... :wink:

• Haha
Likes Klystron, DennisN, rsk and 1 other person
@ElliotSmith:

Cool video. I don't know what it is. The object seems to be far brighter than what other reports of ball lightning usually indicate (see e.g this post). At least that is my understanding of the ball lightning phenomenon.

Rive said:
Nice one, but without details and some post-case investigation it's not really useful.

Please note, that 'ball lightning' is not like UFOs - they are just unexplained, but their existence is mostly accepted and considered worthy of research.

Which is funny in a couple of ways. Firstly, "unexplained" versus "unidentified", hardly a big difference. And there is very little evidence for ball lightning. Yet it is generally accepted because it doesn't imply anything "extraordinary" [a totally subjective term]. All that it took for most scientists at the time was a fuzzy photo from a Park Ranger and suddenly it was a respectable subject.

Same for earthquake lights. It was considered crackpottery until a Japanese man got a few fuzzy photos.

Last edited:
onatirec said:
https://thedebrief.org/ball-lightning-and-the-unidentified-aerial-phenomena-mystery/

This site has a higher-quality version of the same video. Apparently when it was first posted in 2019 the description more clearly stated that it was in fact CGI.

One thing that caught my eye was the lightning coming from the ball. I have read many ball lightning reports and didn't remember ever hearing that claim.

It reminds me a bit of an early CGI fake of two UFOs, clearly what appear to be alien spacecraft s, flying over a vacation resort on some island. The video was very convincing at first glance. But the hardcore UFO crowd had it spotted as a fake right away. The two UFOs made banking turns as if flying aerodynamically. And everyone knows, they argued, "real UFOs" don't make banking turns. LOL! True story!

This was, I believe, the first photo of alleged ball lightning, taken by a Park Ranger IIRC, that was widely reported as legitimate.

1625819857086.png

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/628709.stm

Here is another photo thought to be legit that I posted here 15 years ago LOL!
1625820125476.png

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/scientific-facts-yet-to-be-explained.124130/post-1016112

1. What is ball lightning?

Ball lightning is a rare atmospheric phenomenon that appears as a glowing ball of light. It is typically the size of a grapefruit and can last for several seconds to minutes before disappearing.

2. How is ball lightning formed?

The exact mechanism of ball lightning formation is still unknown, but it is believed to be a result of a powerful electrical discharge in the atmosphere. It may also be formed from plasma created by a lightning strike.

3. Is it dangerous?

While there have been reports of ball lightning causing damage, it is generally considered to be a relatively harmless phenomenon. However, it is still recommended to stay away from it and seek shelter during a thunderstorm.

4. How rare is ball lightning?

Ball lightning is considered to be extremely rare, with only a few reported sightings every year. It is also difficult to capture on video, making this recent footage a unique and valuable observation.

5. What can studying ball lightning tell us about the atmosphere?

Studying ball lightning can provide valuable insights into the behavior of lightning and atmospheric electricity. It can also help scientists better understand the physical processes involved in lightning and potentially improve lightning safety measures.