F = (1/4)(n2/n1)2[1-{(n1-n2)/(n1+n2)}2] ?

In summary, the equation given is known as the transmission coefficient or optical efficiency relation and is used in the context of LEDs. It calculates the fraction of light transmitted from a medium to the outside world, taking into account the refractive indices of the two mediums involved. The equation does not have a specific name and is commonly used in the study of light and optics. The person asking the question is interested in understanding the equation further and reading more about it.
Huiling
Hi,I was wondering if someone could tell me the name of this equation, where does the equation come from?
“If light is isotropically generated in a medium then the fraction transmitted to the outside world is given by:
F = (1/4)(n2/n1)2[1-{(n1-n2)/(n1+n2)}2]”

Thank you so much :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Where did you find the equation?
Something to do with LEDs?

It looks like a transmission coefficient or optical efficiency relation... it probably does not have a special name: most equations don't. Why does it matter what an equation is called?

Hi, it's about LED. I saw this equation somewhere, I can't remember where, but I thought I would look into it so I can understand it and maybe read a bit more about it. Thanks

Related to F = (1/4)(n2/n1)2[1-{(n1-n2)/(n1+n2)}2] ?

1. What does "F = (1/4)(n2/n1)2[1-{(n1-n2)/(n1+n2)}2]" represent?

This equation represents the Fresnel equations, which are used to calculate the amount of light reflected and transmitted at an interface between two different media with different refractive indices.

2. How is this equation derived?

The Fresnel equations were first derived by French physicist Augustin-Jean Fresnel in the early 19th century, using wave optics and the principle of conservation of energy.

3. What do n1 and n2 represent in this equation?

n1 and n2 represent the refractive indices of the two media at the interface, with n1 being the incident medium and n2 being the transmitted medium.

4. How is this equation used in science?

The Fresnel equations are used in various fields of science, including optics, engineering, and physics, to calculate the reflection and transmission of light at an interface between two media. This information is important in understanding how light interacts with different materials and can be applied in designing optical devices and materials.

5. Can this equation be applied to all types of light?

Yes, the Fresnel equations can be applied to all types of light, including visible light, infrared, and ultraviolet. It is a fundamental equation in optics and is used to study the behavior of light in different media and under different conditions.