Factoring this thing with 6 degree

In summary, the conversation discusses how to factor a polynomial and whether there is a shortcut or rule to do so. It is determined that there is no simple rule and the best method is to divide out known factors and use synthetic division. The final solution is a quartic polynomial with complex roots.
zeion

Homework Statement

I need to factor this:

u - u^6 -u^3 +1 = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that (u +1) and (u-1) are roots.. but not sure what to do now without long division..
Do I put them into multiples like (u^3 + 1)(u^3 -1) ??

Physics news on Phys.org
(u^3 + 1)(u^3 -1) is wrong. What's the problem with long division?

It takes too long.. I was just wondering if there was simply rule I could follow when it's in this kind of form?

zeion said:
It takes too long.. I was just wondering if there was simply rule I could follow when it's in this kind of form?

No, no simple rule. You know (u-1) and (u+1) are factors, but you don't how many times they divide into your original polynomial. In this case, the answer for both is once. You just have to divide them out. If you want to minimize the work a bit you could divide by (u-1)*(u+1)=u^2-1. Saves you dividing by both separately.

Ah okay.. so there is no shortcut :(

There is a sort of shortcut, synthetic division. You have to actually do the division, but you don't have to write down all the x powers. You might have learned it already and forgotten it.

So I got (u^2-1)(-u^4-u^2-u-1) = -(u+1)(u-1)(u^4+u^2+u+1)
Does that mean there are roots only at u = -1 and u = 1?

zeion said:
So I got (u^2-1)(-u^4-u^2-u-1) = -(u+1)(u-1)(u^4+u^2+u+1)
Does that mean there are roots only at u = -1 and u = 1?

The quartic doesn't have any rational roots. It has complex roots, of course. But as far as a factoring exercise, I think you can just leave it there.

Oh okay, thanks!

Related to Factoring this thing with 6 degree

1. What is factoring?

Factoring is the process of breaking down an algebraic expression into smaller parts, called factors, which when multiplied together give the original expression.

2. What is a 6 degree expression?

A 6 degree expression is an algebraic expression in which the highest exponent of any variable is 6. For example, x^6 + 2x^3 + 4 is a 6 degree expression.

3. Why is factoring important for 6 degree expressions?

Factoring is important for 6 degree expressions because it helps to simplify and solve complex equations. It also allows us to find the roots, or solutions, of the equation.

4. How do you factor a 6 degree expression?

To factor a 6 degree expression, we need to first look for common factors and then use various factoring techniques such as grouping, difference of squares, and perfect square trinomials.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when factoring a 6 degree expression?

One common mistake is forgetting to factor out the greatest common factor. Another mistake is not following the proper order of operations, which can lead to incorrect factors. It's also important to check for extraneous solutions when solving for the roots of the expression.