Factoring two variable function

In summary: Looks as if it's all solved very nicely.Rather than considering this as a two variable function, I would consider p to be a parameter and x to be a variable, the independent variable. So ##\ 2x^2 - (p-2)x - p \ ## is a quadratic (degree 2 polynomial) in ##\ x\ .##They way you factored this expression is very sensible.Expanding the middle term gives a polynomial with 4 terms. A classic method for factoring a 4 term polynomial is called factoring by grouping, which is what you did.In your case you might consider it to be good fortune that, you were given
terryds

Homework Statement

How to factor 2x^2 - (p-2)x - p ??

Homework Equations

Basic factoring

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to do it.
The answer is 2(x-p/2)(x+2/2)..
Help me please..

Physics news on Phys.org
By finding its roots?

blue_leaf77 said:
By finding its roots?
Using quadratic roots formula?
It seems pretty complicated

terryds said:
Yes.
terryds said:
It's very easy, you just need to pick that pen of yours and work it out on a paper.

Likes terryds and Samy_A
terryds said:
As Blue Leaf posted, that will certainly work, but there is often an easier way. Assuming it has reasonable factors, you can factorise the first and last coefficients. This yields the only possibilities as (x ...)(2x...) and (... 1)(... p). There are two ways of merging those, and some number of options for the sign in between.
I think there is actually a theorem about this.

haruspex said:
As Blue Leaf posted, that will certainly work, but there is often an easier way. Assuming it has reasonable factors, you can factorise the first and last coefficients. This yields the only possibilities as (x ...)(2x...) and (... 1)(... p). There are two ways of merging those, and some number of options for the sign in between.
I think there is actually a theorem about this.

Aha!

2x^2 + 2x - px - p= 0
2x (x+1) - p (x+1) =0
(2x-p)(x+1)=0

Thanks a lot! :D

terryds said:

Homework Statement

How to factor 2x^2 - (p-2)x - p ??

Homework Equations

Basic factoring

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to do it.
The answer is 2(x-p/2)(x+2/2)..
Help me please..
Looks as if it's all solved very nicely.

Rather than considering this as a two variable function, I would consider p to be a parameter and x to be a variable, the independent variable. So ##\ 2x^2 - (p-2)x - p \ ## is a quadratic (degree 2 polynomial) in ##\ x\ .##

They way you factored this expression is very sensible.
Expanding the middle term gives a polynomial with 4 terms. A classic method for factoring a 4 term polynomial is called factoring by grouping, which is what you did.

In your case you might consider it to be good fortune that, you were given a quadratic in x, which could be expressed as a factorable 4 term polynomial.

The suggestion of blue_leaf77 in post #2, was also good advice. Whatever the method of finding the two zeros (roots to ##\ ax^2+bx+c=0\ ##), if those two zeros are ##\ s_1\ ## and ##\ s_2 \ ##, then the polynomial factors as follows.
##ax^2+bx+c = a(x-s_1)(x-s_2)##​

.Notice that the roots to you final equation in post #6 are x = p/2, -1 .

This gives the factoring you gave in post #1.
## 2x^2 - (p-2)x - p = 2(x - p/2)(x +1) ##​

Likes terryds

1. What is factoring a two variable function?

Factoring a two variable function is the process of breaking down a polynomial expression with two variables into simpler expressions that can be multiplied together to get the original expression. It involves finding common factors between terms and grouping them together.

2. Why is factoring a two variable function important?

Factoring a two variable function is important because it helps simplify complex expressions and make them easier to work with. It also allows us to find the roots or solutions of the function, which are the values of the variables that make the expression equal to zero.

3. What are the steps for factoring a two variable function?

The steps for factoring a two variable function are:1. Identify any common factors between terms.2. Group the terms with common factors together.3. Factor out any GCF (Greatest Common Factor) from each group.4. Use the FOIL (First, Outer, Inner, Last) method to multiply the remaining terms in each group.5. Factor out any common factors between the two groups.6. Combine the terms to get the final factored expression.

4. Can all two variable functions be factored?

No, not all two variable functions can be factored. Some functions may have complex or irrational roots, making it impossible to find a simplified factored form. In these cases, the function can be expressed using other methods such as the quadratic formula.

5. How is factoring a two variable function useful in real life?

Factoring a two variable function is useful in real life because it can help solve problems involving multiple variables, such as in physics or engineering. It also allows us to find the minimum and maximum values of a function, which can be helpful in optimizing a process or finding the best solution to a problem.