Factorizing x+3: Legal or Not?

• Thread starter Michael Santos
  • Start date
In summary, it is possible to factor x+3 out of x+3+h and turn it into (x+3)(1+(h/(x+3))), as long as the parentheses are properly inserted to indicate the intended order of operations.
Michael Santos

Homework Statement

Is it legal to factor x+3 out of x+3+h and turn it into (x+3)(1+(h/x+3))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you multiply out the result again to see if it fits?
I think you are missing brackets. 1/x+y is usually read as ##\frac 1 x + y##, but what you mean is probably ##\frac{1}{x+y}## (formulas written with LaTeX).

Likes Delta2
Michael Santos said:

Homework Statement

Is it legal to factor x+3 out of x+3+h and turn it into (x+3)(1+(h/(x+3)))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Yes, provided you mean ##\displaystyle \ (x+3)\left( 1 + \frac{h}{x+3} \right) \,.##

I inserted the missing parentheses in the above quote of your post. These are necessary when writing the fraction on a single line rather than in stacked form as pointed out by @mfb .

Likes Michael Santos

What does it mean to "factorize" x+3?

Factorizing x+3 means finding two or more numbers or expressions that, when multiplied together, result in x+3.

Why is there a question about the legality of factorizing x+3?

There is a question about the legality of factorizing x+3 because it is not always possible to factorize an expression. Some expressions, including x+3, cannot be factored using traditional methods.

Is it possible to factorize x+3?

No, x+3 cannot be factored using traditional methods. It does not have two or more numbers or expressions that can be multiplied together to result in x+3.

Can I simplify x+3 by factoring it?

No, factoring is not a simplification method. It is a way to break down an expression into smaller parts. Since x+3 cannot be factored, it cannot be simplified in this way.

Are there any cases where x+3 can be factored?

No, x+3 cannot be factored using traditional methods. However, if we consider complex numbers, x+3 can be factored as (x+3) = (x+3+0i) = (2+0i)(x+2i), where i is the imaginary unit.