Facts about Mirrors and Lenses: What You Need to Know for Your Final

In summary, when studying for their final exam, the person wanted clarification on mirror facts. They discussed the characteristics of convex and concave mirrors, such as focal length and image distance. They also mentioned the use of ray diagrams and asked if there were any other important facts to consider.
DODGEVIPER13

Homework Statement

I am studying for my final and just want some clarification on mirror facts.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Convex: focal length = negative and concave is opposite positive
Diverginging = - image dist converging just the opposite or positive
if an image is on the same side then the image distance is negative. If it is on the opposite side then positive
spherical has a negative focal length
if an image dist is neg then the image is virtual and upright
if image dist is pos then image is real and inverted
also magnification can tell me if the image is upright or inverted is it is pos then upright otherwise inverted. If magnification is postive the image distance is negative. I know ray diagrams help a lot but I need facts. Is there more that I am missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can someone tell me if I am on the right track

I'd be cautious about stating a spherical mirror has a negative focal length. Most of the mirrors used in school lab experiments are termed spherical mirrors, being pieces of a sphere. They can be silver coated on the "inside" or the "outside" to make concave or convex mirrors, and are cheaper to manufacture than a parabolic mirror.

I can see that you are thinking of a complete mirrored sphere, but "we" aren't necessarily thinking of a complete sphere when speaking of a spherical mirror.

1. How does a mirror reflect light?

Mirrors reflect light through a process called "specular reflection." This means that the light rays bounce off the smooth surface of the mirror at the same angle at which they hit it.

2. What is the difference between a convex and concave mirror?

A convex mirror bulges outward and reflects light outwards, making objects appear smaller. A concave mirror curves inward and reflects light inward, making objects appear larger.

3. How do lenses work?

Lenses work by bending or refracting light rays as they pass through the lens. Convex lenses converge light rays, while concave lenses diverge them.

4. What is the difference between a converging and diverging lens?

A converging lens, also known as a convex lens, brings parallel light rays together, while a diverging lens, or concave lens, spreads them apart.

5. How do mirrors and lenses affect the image we see?

Mirrors and lenses can affect the image we see by either reflecting or refracting light. Mirrors produce a virtual image that is the same size and orientation as the object, while lenses can produce both real and virtual images that can be magnified, reduced, or inverted depending on the type of lens.