Facts about waves - UK BMAT exam question

In summary: I believe #6 is true and the rest are false.In summary, the correct statement about waves is that ultrasonic waves are longitudinal, while the rest of the statements are false.
AndrewMorris
Homework Statement
Which statement about waves is correct? (compressions and rarefactions occur in longitudinal waves)
1. All longitudinal waves travel at the same speed.
2. Longitudinal waves cause vibrations perpendicular to the direction of energy transfer
3. Sound waves are transverse.
4. Transverse waves always travel faster than longitudinal waves
5. Transverse waves are all electromagnetic
6. Ultrasonic waves are longitudinal
7. Ultraviolet waves consist of compressions and rarefactions
8. X-rays cannot travel in a vacuum
Relevant Equations
none
To me, they all look incorrect.

Oh hang on. Ultrasonic waves. I misread that. It's no 6 then.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. Yes, I believe #6 is true and the rest are false.

Thanks for confirming!

Is there a way to check your answer?

berkeman said:
Yes, I believe #6 is true and the rest are false
In solids, there exist both longitudinal and transverse ultrasonic waves:

Longitudinal ultrasonic waves - waves, the direction of propagation of which coincides with the direction of displacement and velocities of the particles of the medium.

Transverse ultrasonic waves - waves propagating in a direction perpendicular to the plane in which the directions of displacements and velocities of body particles lie, the same as shear waves [2].

Likes nasu
AndrewMorris said:
Homework Statement:: Which statement about waves is correct? (compressions and rarefactions occur in longitudinal waves)
1. All longitudinal waves travel at the same speed.
2. Longitudinal waves cause vibrations perpendicular to the direction of energy transfer
3. Sound waves are transverse.
4. Transverse waves always travel faster than longitudinal waves
5. Transverse waves are all electromagnetic
6. Ultrasonic waves are longitudinal
7. Ultraviolet waves consist of compressions and rarefactions
8. X-rays cannot travel in a vacuum
Relevant Equations:: none

To me, they all look incorrect.

Oh hang on. Ultrasonic waves. I misread that. It's no 6 then.
What a truly awful question!

Likes nasu, gmax137 and berkeman

1. What are the different types of waves?

There are three main types of waves: mechanical, electromagnetic, and matter waves. Mechanical waves require a medium to travel through, such as sound waves. Electromagnetic waves do not require a medium and can travel through a vacuum, such as light waves. Matter waves, also known as quantum waves, describe the behavior of particles at a microscopic level.

2. How do waves transfer energy?

Waves transfer energy by causing particles in a medium to vibrate. As the wave travels through the medium, it causes the particles to move back and forth, transferring energy from one particle to the next. This is known as mechanical energy transfer.

3. What is the difference between wavelength and frequency?

Wavelength is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of a wave, while frequency is the number of waves that pass a point in a given time. In other words, wavelength is a measure of distance, while frequency is a measure of time. They are inversely related, meaning that as wavelength increases, frequency decreases, and vice versa.

4. How do you calculate the speed of a wave?

The speed of a wave can be calculated by multiplying the wavelength by the frequency. This is known as the wave equation: speed (m/s) = wavelength (m) x frequency (Hz). For example, if a wave has a wavelength of 2 meters and a frequency of 10 Hz, its speed would be 20 m/s.

5. What is the relationship between amplitude and energy in a wave?

Amplitude is the maximum displacement of particles from their resting position in a wave. The greater the amplitude, the more energy the wave carries. This is because larger amplitudes require more energy to create and maintain. Therefore, waves with higher amplitudes have more energy than waves with lower amplitudes.