Fairground ride, main driver & pin, forces, stress & angular velocity help

In summary, the fair ground ride experiences both tensile and shear stress on the pin and arm when operational. To determine the maximum force that the car should exert on the pin, the stress must be equal to the maximum allowable stress of 15MN/m². Using the formula stress=Force/Area, the maximum force is calculated to be 15MN/m² x (pi x (25mm)^2)/4 = 36,743.5N. To find the angular velocity of the car about the axis of rotation which will give rise to a stress of 12MN/m² in the pin, the formula stress = F/A is used and rearranged to solve for angular velocity. Substituting the centrifugal force formula,
bobmarly12345

Homework Statement

A fair ground ride comprises of a car, connected to an arm, secured to the main driver by a pin. It rotates about a vertical axis.

when operational:
a) what type of stress is experienced by the pin?, and what type of stress is experienced by the arm?
b) if the max allowable stress in the pin is 15MN/m²; the pin is 25mm diameter, determine the max force F that the car should exert on the pin.
c)if the loaded mass of the car is 200Kg and the radius from the axis of rotation to the centre of mass of the car is 8m determine the angular velocity of the car about the axis of rotation which will give rise to a stress of 12MN/m² in the pin.

I know its a lot to ask but I've really been tearing my hair out over this question as i don't have an example to work from so any help on this would be great .. an example for me to work off would be even better. Thanks

Homework Equations

Centrifugal force ... F=(m)(r)(w²)

The Attempt at a Solution

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• P1000106.jpg
    P1000106.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 390
Physics news on Phys.org
"I know its a lot to ask but I've really been tearing my hair out over this question..."

Are you referring to question c or are you referring to the entire problem?

Hint: There are tensile-compressive stresses and there are shear stresses.

the entire question, a b & c .
tensile on the arm & shear on the pin?

You must make an attempt before we can help - forum rules.

my apologies,

for question b) i believe that to find the force i must use the formula stress=Force/Area and re-arrange it to be Stress X Area = force.

for c) if stress = F/A and using the centrifugal force F=mass x r x angular velocity² do i substitute the centrifual force formula into the stress =f/a formula. then rearrange it all so i can work out the angular velocity which the question is asking for?

so Stress = (m.r.w²)/area of circle
rearranged to: stress x (area of circle)/(mass x radius) =w²
then square root the answer to get angular velocity?

i might be completely wrong but that's what i assume would be the way of getting the right answer

"for question b) i believe that to find the force i must use the formula stress=Force/Area and re-arrange it to be Stress X Area = force. "

Correct

"for c) if stress = F/A and using the centrifugal force F=mass x r x angular velocity² do i substitute the centrifual force formula into the stress =f/a formula. then rearrange it all so i can work out the angular velocity which the question is asking for?"

Yes, that's it.

that's brilliant! thank you! :)

Related to Fairground ride, main driver & pin, forces, stress & angular velocity help

1. What is the main driver of a fairground ride?

The main driver of a fairground ride is the motor or engine that provides the energy to make the ride move and operate.

2. What is the role of the pin in a fairground ride?

The pin in a fairground ride acts as a pivot point or axis around which the ride can rotate or move. It helps to distribute the forces and prevent components from shifting or breaking.

3. How do forces affect a fairground ride?

Forces, such as gravity and friction, play a crucial role in the operation of a fairground ride. They are responsible for the movement, speed, and direction of the ride. Proper understanding and management of these forces are necessary for a safe and enjoyable ride.

4. What is stress in relation to fairground rides?

Stress refers to the amount of force or pressure experienced by a structure or component of a fairground ride. It is important to consider stress when designing and operating rides to ensure they can withstand the forces and remain safe for use.

5. How does angular velocity impact a fairground ride?

Angular velocity is the measure of how fast a fairground ride is rotating. It affects the ride's speed, smoothness, and overall experience. Proper control of angular velocity is crucial for a safe and enjoyable ride.