Falling hailstones hitting two car windscreens

DifferentialGalois
Homework Statement
Two motor cars have their wind screens at ##\theta_1=15^{\circ}## and ##\theta_2=30^{\circ}## respectively. While moving in a hailstorm the drivers see the hailstones bounced by the wind screen of their cars in the vertical direction. What is the ratio ##\dfrac{v_1}{v_2}## of the velocities of the cars ##?## Assume the hailstorms fall vertically.
Relevant Equations
SEE HW STMENT
I tried to construct a diagram, but to no avail, since I don't really understand the qn. However, my professor provided me with this graphical depiction (that i obviously don't understand)
Book's vector diagram

Physics news on Phys.org
It's hard to tell which part of it you are not understanding without first showing some attempt.

Likes phinds
verbal explanation thus far:
Hailstones bounce in the vertical direction which implies that the angle of reflection is ##\theta_1## as shown in figure, which is same as angle of incidence in the cars' reference frame. Velocity of hailstones relative to the first car is ##\dfrac{v_1}{v_2}## as shown in the figure.

DifferentialGalois said:
verbal explanation thus far:
Hailstones bounce in the vertical direction which implies that the angle of reflection is ##\theta_1## as shown in figure, which is same as angle of incidence in the cars' reference frame. Velocity of hailstones relative to the first car is ##\dfrac{v_1}{v_2}## as shown in the figure.
There is some confusion in the subscripts.
Since the windscreen angle is drawn differently in the left and right diagrams I assume these are for the two cars, but both diagrams show ##\theta_1, v_1##, both use ##\alpha## instead of ##\alpha_1, \alpha_2##.
The speed of the hailstones relative to that of the first car is ##\frac v{v_1}##, not ##\frac{v_1}{v_2}##.

What is the relationship between ##v, v_1, \alpha_1##?
What is the relationship between ##\theta_1, \alpha_1##?

haruspex said:
There is some confusion in the subscripts.
Since the windscreen angle is drawn differently in the left and right diagrams I assume these are for the two cars, but both diagrams show ##\theta_1, v_1##, both use ##\alpha## instead of ##\alpha_1, \alpha_2##.
The speed of the hailstones relative to that of the first car is ##\frac v{v_1}##, not ##\frac{v_1}{v_2}##.

What is the relationship between ##v, v_1, \alpha_1##?
What is the relationship between ##\theta_1, \alpha_1##?
who knows? i hav no idea.

DifferentialGalois said:
who knows? i hav no idea.
Look at the right hand diagram. There is a triangle with sides labelled ##v, v_1## and an angle ##\alpha##. What equation relates them, given that v is vertical and v1 horizontal?

Look at the left hand diagram. What is the angle between the horizontal dashed line and the vertical arrow? What angles lie between them?

haruspex said:
Look at the right hand diagram. There is a triangle with sides labelled ##v, v_1## and an angle ##\alpha##. What equation relates them, given that v is vertical and v1 horizontal?

Look at the left hand diagram. What is the angle between the horizontal dashed line and the vertical arrow? What angles lie between them?
##\alpha + 2\theta_1=\frac{\pi}{2} and \tan{\alpha}-\dfrac{v}{v_1}##
but i still dont understand how they constructed that diagram.

My first thought is that you will need a clear strategy. The velocities of the cars, presumably, are to be calculated in the ground frame. Whereas, the driver's observations are in their moving reference frames.

There's a lot to get straight before you can begin to solve this. Tricky, IMO.

Last edited:
DifferentialGalois said:
There is some law about reflection at work in the cars frame of reference?

erobz said:
There is some law about reflection at work in the cars frame of reference?
Which is another unstated assumption in the question.

Likes erobz
Fixing up your LaTeX and other details:
DifferentialGalois said:
##\alpha_1 + 2\theta_1=\frac{\pi}{2} ## and ##\tan{\alpha_1}=\dfrac{v}{v_1}##
The diagram is using a graphical way to add vectors.
The hail has a vertically down velocity of ##v##. In car 1's frame of reference it also has a horizontal velocity to the right of ##v_1##. Adding these two vectors gives the velocity of the hail relative to car 1.

haruspex said:
Fixing up your LaTeX and other details:

The diagram is using a graphical way to add vectors.
The hail has a vertically down velocity of ##v##. In car 1's frame of reference it also has a horizontal velocity to the right of ##v_1##. Adding these two vectors gives the velocity of the hail relative to car 1.
Alr could u provide me a solution. Then i'll be happy. Thank you sir.

No one else will be happy with that result.

DifferentialGalois said:
I think you have a solution, but you don't understand it. The key point is that when we move to the car's reference frame, the velocity of the hailstones (in that reference frame) has the same vertical component (##v##) and also a horizontal component ##-v_1## or ##-v_2## respectively.

At this point you can analyse the scenario as if the car were stationary and the hailstones were being fired it at an angle with these velocity components.

A bit of trigonometry is needed to show that, if the windscreen is at an angle ##\theta## with the horizontal, then the angle of incidence of the hailstones is also ##\theta##. Given that the hailstones bounce vertically in the car frame. This is the diagram you were given.

That's all you need to derive an expression for ##\frac {v_1} v## in terms of ##\theta_1## and the same for ##v_2##.

You can then put these equations together to express the ration ##\frac{v_1}{v_2}## in terms of some trig function of ##\theta_1## and ##\theta_2##.

The solution involves these four steps and the associated calculations. Can you identify which parts of this solution you do not understand?

Likes hutchphd
DifferentialGalois said:
Please try to identify the step you do not understand in post #12 or #15.

haruspex said:
Please try to identify the step you do not understand in post #12 or #15.
All the steps

• Sad
Likes PeroK
DifferentialGalois said:
All the steps
If that is true, then the problem is too advanced for you at this stage. You should find some simpler problems and revise your trigonometry.

PeroK said:
If that is true, then the problem is too advanced for you at this stage. You should find some simpler problems and revise your trigonometry.
i mean i can treat it like a math problem, by writing down the logical conclusions:
##\tan{\alpha}=\tan{\left(\dfrac{\pi}{2}-2\theta_1\right)}-\cot{2\theta_1}##

𝑣/𝑣1=cot(2𝜃_1) then would the v/v2 be the same, i cant seem to justify why?
then the ratio is apparently 3, but also not sure why.

DifferentialGalois said:
i mean i can treat it like a math problem, by writing down the logical conclusions:
##\tan{\alpha}=\tan{\left(\dfrac{\pi}{2}-2\theta_1\right)}-\cot{2\theta_1}##
That doesn't look right. ##\alpha## is directly related to ##2\theta##.

PeroK said:
That doesn't look right. ##\alpha## is directly related to ##2\theta##.
IT LITERALLY IS AS IT SAYS.

DifferentialGalois said:
I wouldn't recommend "shouting" at the people trying to help you...It's impolite.

You have the following equation(s):

$$\alpha_i + 2 \theta_i = \frac{\pi}{2}$$

The value of ## \theta_i ## is fixed for each car. What is ## \alpha_i ## in terms of ##v,v_i## for a particular car?

Likes berkeman and Steve4Physics
Hi @DifferentialGalois. For the moment, forget about the original problem. Can you answer this...

A hailstone is falling vertically downwards at speed ##v## relative to the ground

You are driving (on the ground, straight and horizontally) at speed ##u## relative to the ground (and the hailstone's trajectory is directly in front of you).

In your (the car’s) frame of reference the hailstone appears to be moving at angle ##\alpha## to the vertical.

Can you find a formula for ##\alpha## in terms of ##u## and ##v##?

Edit: Ha! @erobz beat me too it.

Last edited:
Likes erobz
DifferentialGalois said:
@PeroK means more directly than in your equation in post #19. It does not need to involve any trig functions. How you got that is mysterious, and it cannot be right since it reduces to ##\tan(\alpha)=0##. Please post your steps.

1. How fast do hailstones fall and how does this impact their impact on car windscreens?

Hailstones can fall at speeds of up to 100 miles per hour, depending on their size and the strength of the storm. This high velocity can cause significant damage to car windscreens, especially if the hailstones are large and heavy.

2. Can hailstones cause cracks or chips in car windscreens?

Yes, hailstones can definitely cause cracks or chips in car windscreens. The force of the hailstone hitting the glass at a high speed can create impact damage, leading to cracks or chips. This damage may not always be visible immediately, but can worsen over time if not repaired.

3. Are certain types of car windscreens more susceptible to damage from hailstones?

Yes, some types of car windscreens may be more susceptible to damage from hailstones. For example, older or weaker windscreens may be more likely to crack or shatter upon impact. Additionally, windscreens with existing damage or flaws may be more prone to further damage from hailstones.

4. Can hailstones cause damage to the internal components of a car?

Yes, hailstones can cause damage to the internal components of a car. If the impact is strong enough, it can shatter the windscreen and send shards of glass flying into the car, potentially damaging the interior and injuring passengers. Additionally, if the hailstones are large enough, they can dent or damage the body of the car.

5. How can I protect my car from hailstone damage?

The best way to protect your car from hailstone damage is to park it in a covered area, such as a garage or carport. If you do not have access to covered parking, try to find a spot under a tree or other structure that can provide some protection. If you are caught in a hailstorm while driving, try to find a safe place to pull over and wait for the storm to pass. Do not try to drive through a hailstorm, as this can increase the likelihood of damage to your car and put you at risk for injury.