Fan motor stalling on running winding

In summary, it is possible that the design differences between fan and PSC motors may not be immediately apparent, but could be present in subtle ways that avoid casual visual inspection.
b.shahvir
TL;DR Summary
Fan motor stalls when start capacitor disconnected at full speed.
Hi Guys,
Single phase capacitor start induction run motor keeps running even after start capacitor is disconnected by centrifugal switch. But in practice, table fan motor stalls and hums when I disconnect starting capacitor when fan motor reaches full speed.
Why one phenomenon works in certain motors but fails in fan motors. Are centrifugal clutch type motors designed differently to keep running normally even after disconnection of starting capacitor at 80% rated speed?

Thanks,
Shahvir

Engineering news on Phys.org
Fan motors are often of the PSC (Permanent Split Capacitor) variety, and in these, the capacitor is always in circuit. Two clues - the capacitance rating will be much lower than a run cap (typically in the 5 uF to 20 uF range), and is of a metallized film construction rather than an electrolytic.

Likes jim hardy
But I don't find any design difference between centrifugal clutch motors and normal fan motors. The latter should function exactly as centrifugal clutch motor at rated speed!

I am not sure but, I think there is a difference in the two. In one the clutch disconnects the start winding after start up. In the other the start winding is made ineffective by an induced back emf from the run winding at top rpm.

The induced back emf wouldn't affect an already disconnected start winding at full speed.

b.shahvir said:
The induced back emf wouldn't affect an already disconnected start winding at full speed.
That is true. I am talking about the one where the start winding is NOT disconnected by a switch.

b.shahvir said:
But I don't find any design difference between centrifugal clutch motors and normal fan motors. The latter should function exactly as centrifugal clutch motor at rated speed!

I'd flip this reasoning around and suggest, since as you've observed
  • a PSC motor stalls when the start winding capacitor is open/disconnected
  • opening the start winding circuit with a centrifugal switch is how other types of split phase motors operate
there are other design differences that may be subtle enough to avoid casual visual inspection that nevertheless exist.

Read this overview from Twin City Fans.
https://www.tcf.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Single-Phase-AC-Induction-Squirrel-Cage-Motors-FE-1100.pdf

and page 1 from this paper regarding PWM control of PSC motors.
http://lipo.ece.wisc.edu/2000pub/00-04.PDF

The capacitor value is chosen so that the total impedance in the auxiliary
winding (auxiliary winding impedance plus the external capacitance)
produces a sufficient phase shift in the current so that a
rotating MMF is developed inside of the machine. The rotating
MMF is developed when the phase currents are in quadrature.
The series connection of the capacitor and the inductive auxiliary
winding effectively creates a resonant tank which raises the
applied voltage across the auxiliary winding. In order to keep
the MMF produced by this winding equal to that produced by
the main winding, the auxiliary winding has additional turns, a
greater resistance and a reduced current causing the PSC induction
motor to be asymetrical.

Try removing the fan blades and see if it makes a difference.

Unloaded, it should run with just one winding (once started) ..

Likes Asymptotic and dlgoff

1. Why is my fan motor stalling on the running winding?

There are a few possible reasons for a fan motor stalling on the running winding. One common cause is a buildup of dirt or debris in the motor, which can impede its movement and cause it to stall. Another possible cause is a faulty capacitor, which is responsible for providing the necessary electrical charge to keep the motor running smoothly. Finally, it could be a sign of a more serious issue with the motor itself, such as worn bearings or damaged wiring.

2. How can I fix a fan motor that keeps stalling on the running winding?

The first step in fixing a fan motor that stalls on the running winding is to clean it thoroughly. This can help remove any dirt or debris that may be causing the issue. If cleaning does not solve the problem, the next step is to check the capacitor and replace it if necessary. If the motor still stalls, it may be necessary to have it professionally repaired or replaced.

3. Is it safe to continue using a fan motor that stalls on the running winding?

No, it is not safe to continue using a fan motor that stalls on the running winding. This issue can cause the motor to overheat, potentially leading to a fire. It can also put unnecessary strain on the motor, leading to further damage and potentially causing it to fail completely. It is important to address the issue as soon as possible to avoid any potential safety hazards.

4. Can a fan motor stall on the running winding if it is too old?

Yes, age can be a factor in a fan motor stalling on the running winding. Over time, the motor's components can wear out, leading to issues such as dirt buildup, capacitor failure, and worn bearings. It is important to regularly maintain and replace older motors to prevent these issues from occurring.

5. How can I prevent my fan motor from stalling on the running winding?

The best way to prevent a fan motor from stalling on the running winding is to regularly clean and maintain it. This includes keeping the motor and its surrounding area free of dirt and debris, as well as checking and replacing the capacitor when necessary. It is also important to replace the motor if it is showing signs of age or wear and tear.