Faraday rotation experiment for a high school student?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a high school junior replicating the Faraday rotation experiment with guidance from their physics teacher. The experiment requires a demountable transformer kit with large coils and iron cores, and uses a big magnet to pass a light beam through glass. The speaker will review the instruction book for the experiment tomorrow.
KShah423
Is it possible to replicate the Faraday rotation experiment for a high school junior? I am in honors physics (IB) and have been taught about waves, electromagnetism, energy transfers, etc. My physics teacher will guide me if I choose to do this. Is the experiment too ambitious?

Physics news on Phys.org
KShah423 said:
Is it possible to replicate the Faraday rotation experiment for a high school junior? I am in honors physics (IB) and have been taught about waves, electromagnetism, energy transfers, etc. My physics teacher will guide me if I choose to do this. Is the experiment too ambitious?
We have a big demountable transformer kit, with big coils and iron cores, and the instruction book includes a Faraday Rotation experiment. I will have a look at the handbook tomorrow. The transformer windings are about the size of a coffee cup, to give you an idea, so you need a big magnet to do it. I think the light beam is passed through glass.

What is Faraday rotation?

Faraday rotation is a phenomenon in which the plane of polarization of linearly polarized light is rotated as it passes through a medium in the presence of a magnetic field.

How does the Faraday rotation experiment work?

In the experiment, a beam of linearly polarized light is passed through a material, such as a transparent solution or a crystal, placed between two magnets. The magnetic field created by the magnets causes the plane of polarization of the light to rotate, which can be measured using a polarizer and detector.

What materials are needed for the Faraday rotation experiment?

You will need a laser or polarized light source, a transparent solution or crystal, two magnets, a polarizer, and a detector. These materials can often be found in a science laboratory or purchased from a science supply store.

What can the Faraday rotation experiment demonstrate?

The experiment can demonstrate the relationship between light and magnetism, as well as the principles of polarization and the behavior of light in different materials. It can also be used to measure the strength of a magnetic field.

Is the Faraday rotation experiment safe for a high school student?

Yes, the experiment is safe as long as all materials and equipment are used properly and under supervision. The laser or polarized light source should be handled with care to avoid direct exposure to the eyes.