Faraday's law and Magnetic Fields

In summary, the conversation was about checking a formula for the correct dimensions and numerical factors for magnetic field. The correct expression was found to be a vector form with an i hat.
maksym_slnc
Homework Statement
A very large loop of metal wire with radius 1 meter is driven with a linearly increasing current at a rate of 200 amps/second . A very small metal wire loop with radius 5 cm is positioned a small distance away with its center on the same axis (the loops are coaxial). The small loop experiences an induced emf of 983nV . What is the separation of the loops in meters?
Relevant Equations
$$
\varepsilon=\oint \overrightarrow{\mathbf{E}} \cdot d \overrightarrow{\mathbf{l}}=-\frac{d \Phi_{\mathrm{m}}}{d t} .
$$
${\mathbf{B}}=\frac{\mu_0 I \hat{\mathbf{j}}}{2 \pi\left(y^2+R^2\right)^{3 / 2}}$
1682079672875.png

I am not really sure which direction i am moving in with this solution

Physics news on Phys.org
1682087140381.png
Check this formula. Note that that the right-hand side does not have the correct dimensions for magnetic field. Also, check the numerical factors in the equation. For ##x = 0## the formula should reduce to the field at the center of a circular current loop.

Otherwise, your approach looks correct.

Last edited:
TSny said:
Check this formula. Note that that the right-hand side does not have the correct dimensions for magnetic field. Also, check the numerical factors in the equation. For ##x = 0## the formula should reduce to the field at the center of a circular current loop.

Otherwise, your approach looks correct.
Oh, thanks a lot, it was a vector form, but without the i hat. Correct expression was this one.
correct expression.png

maksym_slnc said:
Oh, thanks a lot, it was a vector form, but without the i hat. Correct expression was this one.View attachment 325234
Ok. You should get a reasonable answer now.

1. What is Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that describes the relationship between a changing magnetic field and an induced electric field.

2. How does Faraday's Law relate to magnetic fields?

Faraday's Law states that a changing magnetic field will induce an electric field, which can then produce an electric current. This shows the strong connection between magnetic fields and electricity.

3. What are the applications of Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law has many practical applications, such as in generators, transformers, and motors. It is also used in technologies like MRI machines and electric power distribution systems.

4. Can Faraday's Law be used to generate electricity?

Yes, Faraday's Law is the basis for how generators work. By rotating a coil of wire in a magnetic field, an electric current is induced, producing electricity.

5. How can I calculate the induced electric field using Faraday's Law?

The induced electric field can be calculated by taking the negative derivative of the magnetic flux with respect to time. This is expressed as E = -dΦ/dt, where E is the induced electric field and Φ is the magnetic flux.