Faraday's Law - loop turning in the Earth's B-field

In summary: Remember that in B⋅dA we are interested in the projected area in the direction of B, This projected area depends on the angel of B wrt dA and not dA itself. sodΦ = ∫ dB⋅dA +∫B⋅d(dA ) =...In summary, the homework statement is incomplete and needs more detail.
Taulant Sholla

Homework Statement

prob stmt.png

Homework Equations

Faraday's Law, Ohm's Law, definition of current[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

We were given this solution:[/B]
soln.png

The above solution is leaving out a lot of intermediary steps. I don't agree that "the axis of the coil is at 20°, not 70°, from the magnetic field of the Earth." Technically, the coil's surface normal starts at an angle of θi=(90+70)=160°, and ends-up at θf=(90-70)=20° I want to produce a totally complete, step-by-step solution. Here's how I'm starting...
qw2a.jpg

qax1.jpg

I'm not sure how to proceed after #7. How do I evaluate the integral (not sure how to deal with dA as the integration variable with cosθ sitting there??

Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• prob stmt.png
    prob stmt.png
    48.5 KB · Views: 726
  • soln.png
    soln.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 748
  • qw2a.jpg
    qw2a.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 372
  • qw2b.jpg
    qw2b.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 435
  • qa1a.jpg
    qa1a.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 439
  • qax1.jpg
    qax1.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 421
Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing I see is that eq. 5 is not correct. dΦ ≠ d(B⋅dA). You missed something in eq. 6 WRT dA. WRT eq 7 reconsider your integration limits.

The flux integral should be taken over the entire area of the loop at a given instant in time. In particular, ## \theta_i ## and ## \theta_f ## are not bounds for the inner (flux) integral--in fact, they're bounds for the outer (time) integral, since ## \theta ## is a function of time.

This actually simplifies things quite a bit, because as far as the inner integral is concerned, ## \theta ## is a constant--meaning that factor of ## \cos(\theta) ## can essentially be ignored when evaluating the integral. The expression $$ \int \cos(\theta) dA $$ then simply becomes ## A \cos(\theta) ##, where ## A ## is the total area of the loop.

I actually like the way you've written the expression in 7 quite a bit, although I haven't seen it this way before. Using this notation, we have: $$ \frac{-NB}{R} \int_{\theta_i}^{\theta_f} d (A \cos(\theta)) = \left( \frac{-NB}{R} \right) A (\cos(\theta_f) - \cos(\theta_i)) $$ Note that this is identical to the expression given in the solution, except for your minor disagreement about the values of ## \theta_i ## and ## \theta_f ##. I'll let you think about why that distinction actually doesn't matter in the end.

Thanks for your help!

"The first thing I see is that eq. 5 is not correct. dΦ ≠ d(B⋅dA). "
Since Φ Ξ ∫B⋅dA, doesn't dΦ = d[∫B⋅dA] = d∫B(dA)cosθ?

"You missed something in eq. 6 WRT dA."
∫dAcosθ = A∫cosθ ? If so, is the integration variable dθ, and if so -- how does this come about?

"WRT eq 7 reconsider your integration limits."
Does the angle but the surface normal and the B-field not begin at 160° and end at 20°?

Thanks again for your help!

Very helpful (and educational!). Thank you so much!

VKint said:
The flux integral should be taken over the entire area of the loop at a given instant in time. In particular, ## \theta_i ## and ## \theta_f ## are not bounds for the inner (flux) integral--in fact, they're bounds for the outer (time) integral, since ## \theta ## is a function of time.

This actually simplifies things quite a bit, because as far as the inner integral is concerned, ## \theta ## is a constant--meaning that factor of ## \cos(\theta) ## can essentially be ignored when evaluating the integral. The expression $$ \int \cos(\theta) dA $$ then simply becomes ## A \cos(\theta) ##, where ## A ## is the total area of the loop.

I actually like the way you've written the expression in 7 quite a bit, although I haven't seen it this way before. Using this notation, we have: $$ \frac{-NB}{R} \int_{\theta_i}^{\theta_f} d (A \cos(\theta)) = \left( \frac{-NB}{R} \right) A (\cos(\theta_f) - \cos(\theta_i)) $$ Note that this is identical to the expression given in the solution, except for your minor disagreement about the values of ## \theta_i ## and ## \theta_f ##. I'll let you think about why that distinction actually doesn't matter in the end.

Taulant Sholla said:
Very helpful (and educational!). Thank you so much!

One last question... in your last equation, how do you know to do d(cosθ)=Δcosθ rather than d(cosθ) = -sinθ ?

This is more or less notational. In the context of an integral, "d" doesn't really translate to "take a derivative"--think of it more as a label for the variable of integration. In particular, anytime you see an expression like this: $$ \int_a^b d[ \textrm{stuff} ] $$ the answer is always $$ \left. \textrm{stuff} \right]_a^b = \textrm{stuff}(b) - \textrm{stuff}(a). $$ For example, ## \int_a^b dx = b - a ##, despite the fact that "dx," interpreted as "the derivative of x," would just be a constant.

Taulant Sholla said:
Since Φ Ξ ∫B⋅dA, doesn't dΦ = d[∫B⋅dA] = d∫B(dA)cosθ?

remember that in B⋅dA we are interested in the projected area in the direction of B, This projected area depends on the angel of B wrt dA and not dA itself. so
dΦ = ∫ dBdA +∫B⋅d(dA ) = AΘ B⋅dAd(cosΘ) = AΘsinΘdΘ which take care of eq 6 where you did not have an increment in the angle (dΘ) over which to integrate.

Taulant Sholla said:
Does the angle but the surface normal and the B-field not begin at 160° and end at 20°?

Yes you are correct.

Likes Taulant Sholla
gleem said:
remember that in B⋅dA we are interested in the projected area in the direction of B, This projected area depends on the angel of B wrt dA and not dA itself. so
dΦ = ∫ dBdA +∫B⋅d(dA ) = AΘ B⋅dAd(cosΘ) = AΘsinΘdΘ which take care of eq 6 where you did not have an increment in the angle (dΘ) over which to integrate.
Yes you are correct.
Thanks a bunch - this really gives me a lot of insight I did't really have before.

1. What is Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the relationship between a changing magnetic field and the induction of an electric current in a conductor.

2. What is the significance of a loop turning in the Earth's B-field in relation to Faraday's Law?

A loop turning in the Earth's B-field refers to the Earth's magnetic field, which is essentially a large loop of current flowing within the Earth's core. This is significant in Faraday's Law because it demonstrates the principle of electromagnetic induction, where a changing magnetic field induces an electric current in a conductor, which in this case would be the Earth's B-field and any conductive material on the Earth's surface.

3. How does Faraday's Law apply to generators and motors?

Faraday's Law is the basis for the functioning of generators and motors. In a generator, mechanical energy is used to rotate a loop of wire in a magnetic field, inducing an electric current in the wire. In a motor, an electric current is passed through a loop of wire in a magnetic field, causing the loop to rotate and produce mechanical energy.

4. Does Faraday's Law have any practical applications?

Faraday's Law has numerous practical applications, including power generation, electric motors, transformers, and wireless charging. It is also used in technologies such as magnetic levitation and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

5. Are there any limitations to Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism and has been extensively tested and proven to be accurate. However, it does have limitations in certain scenarios, such as when the conductor is moving at a constant velocity or when there are non-linear effects in the magnetic field. In these cases, more advanced theories, such as Maxwell's equations, are needed to fully describe the electromagnetic phenomena.