Father puts .45 rounds into teenage girl's laptop

• Thread starter Char. Limit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laptop
In summary, a teenage girl wrote a rant about her parents on Facebook and tried to hide it from them, but her father found it and responded by destroying her laptop with a gun. The father's actions have sparked debate about appropriate parenting methods and the lessons being taught to the daughter.
Wow, this thread just keeps on going.

One thing that would be nice to know is how many posting in this thread have teenage daughters?

I do. My track record with 3 sons in their 30s and a teenage daughter, is no destructive drug use, no problems with the law and 4 respectful, responsible kids (now adults).

This guys bad parenting did not start with this laptop incident. The daughter they have is a result of a lifetime of bad parenting. Personally, I cannot think of a single thing that would require the use of gun to make a point with my daughter. I see the use of a gun as a act of violence, while I have used violence in disciplining my children, I have restricted it to a open hand applied forcefully to the butt. Frankly I regret some of that.

Once a child has reached teenage, really it is to late to discipline them. If you have not taught them proper behavior and respect by that time, all corporeal punishment will accomplish is to further alienate them. At that age they are young adults, and should be treated that way, treating them any other way will not suddenly turn them into responsible adults.

Clearly this father has NOT taught his daughter respect, it is now to late to beat it into here. ( Yes I equate shooting the laptop as a form of beating). He may be facing worse issues in the near future.

Physics news on Phys.org
What part of the daughter's comments on FB were PRIVATE, not public, are people not getting?

After a 15 year-old U.S. teenager wrote an angry note about her parents but hidden from them on a social networking site
He found the entry by getting into her FB account.

This guy is a very poor parent, IMO. He can't take that his teenaged daughter is complaining privately to her friends? He needs counseling.

Integral said:
Wow, this thread just keeps on going.

One thing that would be nice to know is how many posting in this thread have teenage daughters?

I do. My track record with 3 sons in their 30s and a teenage daughter, is no destructive drug use, no problems with the law and 4 respectful, responsible kids (now adults).

This guys bad parenting did not start with this laptop incident. The daughter they have is a result of a lifetime of bad parenting. Personally, I cannot think of a single thing that would require the use of gun to make a point with my daughter. I see the use of a gun as a act of violence, while I have used violence in disciplining my children, I have restricted it to a open hand applied forcefully to the butt. Frankly I regret some of that.

Once a child has reached teenage, really it is to late to discipline them. If you have not taught them proper behavior and respect by that time, all corporeal punishment will accomplish is to further alienate them. At that age they are young adults, and should be treated that way, treating them any other way will not suddenly turn them into responsible adults.

Clearly this father has NOT taught his daughter respect, it is now to late to beat it into here. ( Yes I equate shooting the laptop as a form of beating). He may be facing worse issues in the near future.

The best comment on this I think.

Evo said:
He can't take that his teenaged daughter is complaining privately to her friends? He needs counseling.

lol, hopefully he doesn't happen across this thread. Some servers might get shot up!

Integral said:
This guys bad parenting did not start with this laptop incident. The daughter they have is a result of a lifetime of bad parenting.
There's no way you could possibly know that. In fact, bad kids do sometimes happen to good people.

Integral said:
Clearly this father has NOT taught his daughter respect ...
Sometimes it's not a matter of teaching. Some kids really are just bad kids, and they'll grow up to be bad adults. Sociopaths, psychopaths -- or less extreme variations on those themes, but still what most of us would consider not good people. Ungrateful people, complainers, manipulators, etc.

This guy's daughter seems like not a very good person. So, if she were my daughter, no I wouldn't shoot her laptop, I'd just cut her loose. That's it, you're on your own. You're welcome back whenever you're ready to be a grateful, contributing member of the family. Otherwise, goodbye and good luck.

This guy is a good parent. It was a swift but decisive way to show that his daughter was wrong. He used hollow points, to really show that he means business.

The only thing that would have improved this parenting example is if he had used an action move one liner before gunning that laptop down.

"Tweet THIS"
or similar.

Plus he has a cool hat.

ThomasT said:
There's no way you could possibly know that. In fact, bad kids do sometimes happen to good people.

Sometimes it's not a matter of teaching. Some kids really are just bad kids, and they'll grow up to be bad adults. Sociopaths, psychopaths -- or less extreme variations on those themes, but still what most of us would consider not good people. Ungrateful people, complainers, manipulators, etc.

This guy's daughter seems like not a very good person. So, if she were my daughter, no I wouldn't shoot her laptop, I'd just cut her loose. That's it, you're on your own. You're welcome back whenever you're ready to be a grateful, contributing member of the family. Otherwise, goodbye and good luck.

Sorry, I do not agree with you. Other then cutting her loose, best thing he could do now.

Sometimes it is not clear what constitutes good or bad parenting. Every child is unique and has different needs so no single set of rules applies to all.

xxChrisxx said:
This guy is a good parent. It was a swift but decisive way to show that his daughter was wrong. He used hollow points, to really show that he means business.

The only thing that would have improved this parenting example is if he had used an action move one liner before gunning that laptop down.

"Tweet THIS"
or similar.

Plus he has a cool hat.
He invaded her privacy by getting into her FB account to read her PRIVATE messages. That's like breaking the lock on her diary. This guy has emotional problems. Children are entitled to talk privately to their friends.

Integral said:
... cutting her loose, best thing he could do now.
Ok, we agree on that. But you know that would be really hard to do wrt a 15 or 16 year old kid. And I thinK I can understand the father's frustration. He's got a difficult daughter. How do you deal with that?

Integral said:
Sometimes it is not clear what constitutes good or bad parenting. Every child is unique and has different needs so no single set of rules applies to all.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this. I think that there are certain norms or rules that everybody should be expected to conform/adhere to. And I think that this guy's daughter broke the rules.

Evo said:
He invaded her privacy by getting into her FB account to read her PRIVATE messages. That's like breaking the lock on her diary.

You say that like it's a bad thing.His house, his rules.
When you have a hat as cool as his, you can do anything.

Evo said:
He invaded her privacy by getting into her FB account to read her PRIVATE messages. That's like breaking the lock on her diary. This guy has emotional problems. Children are entitled to talk privately to their friends.
I don't recall having any privacy while I was living with my parents.

Maybe you're right that the guy has emotional problems. Or, maybe his daughter is a bad seed and he's frustrated and doesn't really know how to deal with it.

All I can say is that, in my day, if someone wrote what his daughter did, then that person would be considered an ungrateful, disprespectful person, and would be treated accordingly.

Char. Limit said:
That's too bad, because as you see in the quote above, he makes the claim that using a gun is WORSE. I want to know WHY.

Yes, the gun makes it worse, but it's still bad to start with. The gun is a dedicated symbol of violence. It carries bad connotation with it. It adds the additional message that it's ok to use a deadly weapon in anger. As if reacting publicly in anger doesn't make one look foolish enough as it is.

I found the distinction between gun use and bad parenting pretty interesting, so I did a recount.

Current score is:

11 people accept the use of a gun in this context
10 people judge the use of a gun unacceptable
20 people show no clear opinion about the gun

15 people think the father did good as a parent
13 people think it's bad parenting
13 people show no clear opinion about his parenting skills.

And yes, we already have 41 different people that have vented their opinion!EDIT: What I also find interesting is seeing that every poster's opinion is clear is his/her first post.
Any discussion does not seem to change anyone's point of view, but only confirms it.

I would also echo Integral's question about how many are actually teen parents themselves.

ThomasT said:
Sociopaths, psychopaths -- or less extreme variations on those themes, but still what most of us would consider not good people. Ungrateful people, complainers, manipulators, etc.

You'll actually find that a large majority of criminal socio/psycho paths were abused or neglected as children. People with the brain-type that don't become criminals often find productive roles in society (as police or fire-fighters or journalists or stunt-men for instance).

Pythagorean said:
You'll actually find that a large majority of criminal socio/psycho paths were abused or neglected as children. People with the brain-type that don't become criminals often find productive roles in society (as police or fire-fighters or journalists or stunt-men for instance).
Are you saying that many policemen, firemen, journalists and stuntmen are socio/psycho paths? Why stop there? What about teachers, scientists, politicians, sanitation workers, and chefs, etc., etc.

I like Serena said:
I found the distinction between gun use and bad parenting pretty interesting, so I did a recount.

Current score is:

11 people accept the use of a gun in this context
10 people judge the use of a gun unacceptable
20 people show no clear opinion about the gun

15 people think the father did good as a parent
13 people think it's bad parenting
13 people show no clear opinion about his parenting skills.

And yes, we already have 41 different people that have vented their opinion!

EDIT: What I also find interesting is seeing that every poster's opinion is clear is his/her first post.
Any discussion does not seem to change anyone's point of view, but only confirms it.
Quantification is always good. So, what's your opinion? Is the father out of line? Or the daughter? Or not enough data?

ThomasT said:
Are you saying that many policemen, firemen, journalists and stuntmen are socio/psycho paths? Why stop there? What about teachers, scientists, politicians, sanitation workers, and chefs, etc., etc.

No, socio/psycho paths is a DSM diagnosed disorder, I was talking about the underlying neural similarities (a lack of fear response). And of course it's not all members of the occupation.

The neural feature is that they don't have the fear response associated with risky behavior that the large majority of the populous does have and they tend to be excited by risky behavior, so they tend to find occupations that include the risky behavior, but if they are raised right, they generally don't choose activities that are harmful to society.

Maybe I should have said war/crime journalist to emphasize the point of risky behavior.

ThomasT said:
Quantification is always good. So, what's your opinion? Is the father out of line? Or the daughter? Or not enough data?

Oh, I already gave my opinion in my first post and confirmed it in the ones after.

I believe the father did right in parenting, finally setting clear boundaries, following up on what he said and promised before, and using a tit-for-tat strategy.
I usually fervently oppose guns, but in this case he followed up on his word and used his gun in a safe manner which I deem acceptable.

Hey! This is the majority view (by now)!
I do hope my opinion did not skew my counting. ;)

Last edited:
Pythagorean said:
No, socio/psycho paths is a DSM diagnosed disorder, I was talking about the underlying neural similarities (a lack of fear response). And of course it's not all members of the occupation.

The neural feature is that they don't have the fear response associated with risky behavior that the large majority of the populous does have and they tend to be excited by risky behavior, so they tend to find occupations that include the risky behavior, but if they are raised right, they generally don't choose activities that are harmful to society.

Maybe I should have said war/crime journalist to emphasize the point of risky behavior.
That's interesting stuff. Never thought about it much.

I like Serena said:
Oh, I already gave my opinion in my first post and confirmed it in the ones after.

I believe the father did right in parenting, finally setting clear boundaries, following up on what he said and promised before, and using a tit-for-tat strategy.
I'm usually a fervent opponent against guns, but in this case he followed up on his word and used his gun in a safe manner which I deem acceptable.

I do hope my opinion did not skew my counting.
Ok, I remember now. I don't think you skewed anything. I agree that consistency, wrt reasonable contingencies, would seem to be a good training strategy. Unfortunately, apparently, something went askew in this particular situation.

ThomasT said:
Ok, I remember now. I don't think you skewed anything. I agree that consistency, wrt reasonable contingencies, would seem to be a good training strategy. Unfortunately, apparently, something went askew in this particular situation.

I'd say what went askew was the fact that the world found out...

Char. Limit said:
I'd say what went askew was the fact that the world found out...

Yep. It appears that things on facebook do not always remain hidden. ;)

ThomasT said:
All I can say is that, in my day, if someone wrote what his daughter did, then that person would be considered an ungrateful, disprespectful person, and would be treated accordingly.
Even when they confide it in private to friends?

I like Serena said:
Yep. It appears that things on facebook do not always remain hidden. ;)
Yes, when an insecure, distrustful, control freak breaks into your account.

Evo said:

Please.
Regardless of whether the father is an "insecure, distrustful, control freak", he did not publish it to the world.
I presume her "friends" did.

Pythagorean said:
Whether he takes away privileges or not is irrelevant to the actual parenting issue.
In previous posts, you had made several statements to the effect that threats and punishment being bad parenting. These are withdrawn, then?

Now, if you're just complaining that you think the father was taking action irrationally, then try and say just that; don't make it look like you're against the very notion of discipline, or that you think destroying the laptop is an inherently inappropriate punishment regardless of circumstance.

But...
his method of revoking privilege
You do seem to explicitly state that that the props are important. That, regardless of the circumstances involved, shooting the laptop is inherently inappropriate. If that is true, then you need to discuss that point on its own without getting it all confused up in the other aspects.

Anyways one thing I want to point out:
The father was visibly shaken and his feeling were hurt by his daughter's words. And his choice of words further demonstrates this.
demonstrates ... it's okay to destroy people's possessions in anger.
Taking action in anger is a very different thing than being angry/upset while taking action.

Going through with the punishment was clearly very difficult and upsetting for him. But that doesn't mean it was done in anger. In fact, the main feature of the punishment is described as being selected beforehand during "amicable discussion".

Evo said:

Btw, he does not strike me as an insecure, distrustful, control freak.
He strikes me as a concerned parent that, yes, did break into her account, but I think that's better than a parent that doesn't know or care that his kid is into bad things.

Last edited:
I like Serena said:
Please.
Regardless of whether the father is an "insecure, distrustful, control freak", he did not publish it to the world.
I presume her "friends" did.
No, he broke into her FB account through her laptop and obtaining her password without her knowledge.

I like Serena said:
yes, did break into her account, but I think that's better than a parent that doesn't know or care that his kid is into bad things.
What *bad things* did she do? All I read is that she confided her frustrations privately to her friends.

Last edited:
Evo said:
No, he broke into her FB account through her laptop and obtaining her password without her knowledge.

That's not what I said or responded to in the post you quoted.
I did respond to that in my other post.

Edit: Btw, we do not know that he hacked into her account to get the information.
To see what he did, it would probably suffice if he was a friend of a friend of her, which is quite likely.
I can imagine that after what he saw, he hacked into her account.
Evo said:
What *bad things* did she do? All I read is that she confided her frustrations privately to her friends.
I didn't say she did *bad things*. I said he was a concerned parent that did monitor his kid as he should (on a medium that is semi-public).

Last edited:
Evo said:
Even when they confide it in private to friends?

If you look back at post #56 I will assume most have not seen it as it was far back it contains a reply from teh father to a news outlet originally posted by Char.limit

I put the reprisal in exactly the same medium she did, in the exact same manner. Her post went out to about 452 people. Mine went out to about 550 people… originally.
He included the parents of many of the "friends" involved.

Evo how many people can you say somethign to and still consider it to be confide(ing) it in private to friends?

I do not think that number is over 20 let alone 400.

For the count I support the dads choice but would prefer he threw it out the window, but once he committed in the previous grounding to putting a bullet in it he needed to follow thru.

Oltz said:
If you look back at post #56 I will assume most have not seen it as it was far back it contains a reply from teh father to a news outlet originally posted by Char.limit

He included the parents of many of the "friends" involved.

Evo how many people can you say somethign to and still consider it to be confide(ing) it in private to friends?

I do not think that number is over 20 let alone 400.

For the count I support the dads choice but would prefer he threw it out the window, but once he committed in the previous grounding to putting a bullet in it he needed to follow thru.
She didn't post it on youtube. I think the father is insecure, and vindictive. Great example for a child, IMO. I'm so glad that I had emotionally stable parents.

Its not about posting it on you tube he used you tube to host the video and post it to FB her "private friends list" included more then 400 people.

I agree that it was not the best plan on his part but she as you have said repeatedly was not just venting to close friends in private.

Does that change your rather harsh stance on him at all?

Or are you sticking with the "she was posting in private to her friends" he had no right to even see it let alone punish her for it?

For all we know one of the parents of another child saw it on a news "feed" and called him about it before he "broke into" her FB account.

@ Hurkyl

It's fairly standard child psychology that states that punishing bad behavior is ineffective compared to rewarding good behavior. Punishment is a short term resolution that is more convenient for parents; sometimes it's all a parent can do for their own sanity. I don't retract those statements, but they aren't the main issue; the one you specifically asked about: emotional inhibition.

You're still putting words in my mouth. The props still don't matter. It's the method (which can be reproduced with any number of props).

Are you honestly having trouble with this or are you attempting Socratic sagaciousness?

Evo said:
She didn't post it on youtube. I think the father is insecure, and vindictive. Great example for a child, IMO. I'm so glad that I had emotionally stable parents.

I just... disagree.

Pythagorean said:
It's fairly standard child psychology that states that punishing bad behavior is ineffective compared to rewarding good behavior.

When a parent is totally fed up with the behavior of his child, I think it is good that he does not keep that to himself, but that he shows that.
That's not about punishing or rewarding, which is more of a policy.
It's about venting what you really think and feel.
IMO that's one of the best messages anyone can send - straight from the heart.