Who Are Your Favorite Philosophers?

• Thread starter jduster
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses various philosophers and their ideas, with David Hume being mentioned as a top favorite. Other philosophers mentioned include Kierkegaard, Immanuel Kant, Ludwig Wittgenstein, CS Peirce, Confucius, Lao Tzu, Gautama Buddha, Jeff Bridges, Marcus Aurelius, Poor Richard, Nietzche, Epiceticus, Locke, Voltaire, and more. The conversation also delves into the definition of a philosopher and the influence of various philosophers on the participants.
ThomasT said:
I'm not sure I'd call Noam Chomsky a philosopher. But I do admire his scholarship and perserverance and have learned much from him. Ditto nismaratwork. Also Apeiron, kote, StatutoryApe (I hope I got that right) and 'many' others, whose usernames I don't recall, certainly many of the mentors and science advisors, here at PF.

As for Leo Buscaglia. I saw/heard him speak about 40 years ago. All I remember is that he hugged a lot of people at the end of his talk.

Richard von Mises was influential in my early thinking.

She included me, so presumably it's a demonstration of her excellent sense of humor. Then again, Noam Chomsly's scholarship and dedication have a definite philosophical air about them.

Physics news on Phys.org
OH... Ambrose Bierce.