FEA of a Load Cell: Better Ways to Calculate Stress?

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of stress in a load cell for an assignment using approximations and equations. There was uncertainty about the accuracy of the calculations and a question about other potential methods of analysis. The equations used were Stress=\stackrel{My}{I} and I = \stackrel{bh^{3}}{12}. The person also mentioned getting help from Simon Barron for the assignment.
richardstan

Homework Statement

5184686234_3367eaec81_z.jpg

This is one half of a load cell I am analysing for an asignment. I have managed to calculate the stress in the beam using the equations below.
I have approximated the centroid to be along the red line so that I can work out the distance for M, and then taken y or (h/2) to be an average of the values from the thin linear section and the fat linear section. I get a value of 59MPa from this calc and the FEA module Solidworks Simulation gives me a value of 60MPa.
This could be fluke or could be correct I'm not too sure since the approximations I've used are quite rough. i.e. average y.

My question is, is there a better way of doing this? I would think that it could be analysed as a cantilever beam with a load at one end, with a varying cross section, but can't find any relevant physics/mathematics for varying cross section.

Homework Equations

Stress=[tex]\stackrel{My}{I}[/tex] where I = second moment of area.
I = [tex]\stackrel{bh^{3}}{12}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

see above.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi richardstan i got the answer form simon barron he gave the answers before the submittion date...get in touch with simon i am sure you will get what you need...

all the best

see ya

Related to FEA of a Load Cell: Better Ways to Calculate Stress?

1. What is FEA and how does it relate to load cells?

FEA (Finite Element Analysis) is a numerical method used to analyze the behavior of complex structures or components under different loading conditions. In the case of load cells, FEA can be used to calculate stress and strain distributions within the load cell, which is crucial for understanding its performance and improving its design.

2. What are the advantages of using FEA for load cell analysis?

FEA allows for a more detailed and accurate analysis of load cells compared to traditional analytical methods. It takes into account the complex geometry and material properties of the load cell, as well as the actual loading conditions, resulting in more realistic and reliable results. FEA also allows for quick and efficient optimization of load cell designs.

3. What are the main challenges when using FEA for load cell analysis?

One of the main challenges is accurately modeling the load cell's geometry and material properties, as well as the loading conditions. This requires a thorough understanding of the load cell's design and its intended use. Another challenge is the computational time and resources required for FEA, as it can be computationally intensive for complex load cell designs.

4. Are there any alternative methods for calculating stress in load cells?

Yes, there are alternative methods such as analytical equations, experimental testing, and simplified models. However, these methods may not provide as accurate results as FEA and may not take into account all the factors that can affect the stress in a load cell.

5. How can FEA results be validated for load cell analysis?

FEA results can be validated by comparing them to experimental data or using different FEA models with varying levels of complexity. It is also important to ensure that the FEA model is well-validated and accurately represents the load cell's geometry and material properties.