Feasibility of multiple "big bangs"

• B
  • Thread starter MikeeMiracle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Multiple
In summary, the conversation discusses a pop-sci video that talks about the possibility of all particles in the observable universe coming together to recreate the conditions of the big bang. This could potentially happen in an infinite space and would go unnoticed by observers in other parts of the universe. The video also mentions the dangers of relying on pop-sci videos for scientific information and encourages finding more reliable sources.
MikeeMiracle
TL;DR Summary
Is this pop-sci video plausible?
I found this pop-sci video which sounds plausible to myself but naturally I am not schooled in cosmology so wanted others opinion on the plausibility of it.

Thoughts?

Space news on Phys.org
MikeeMiracle said:
Thoughts?

1. Do you want to summarize the video? I mean, if it's not worth your time to summarize it, why is it worth our time to watch it?

2. It is possible that a random Youtube video is an excellent presentation of science to non-experts. It is also possible one will find a nugget of gold in a sewage treatment facility.

• Haha
Likes phinds
It summarizes from 9.42 on wards for a minute and a half. It talks about truly large numbers and possibilities. For example given enough time it's possible that all air molecules in a room will find them themselves at the same place in the room momentarily. By extension it also states that all the particles in an observable universe could find themselves at the same spot recreating the conditions of the big bang given enough time.

He talks of the potential for this to be a relatively "localized" event in an infinite space so overall not much changes in the "greater" universe. For example if our observable universe started collapsing and recreated the conditions of "our" big bang and recreated "our" big bang, an observer 300 billion lights years away would be unaware of this ever occurring.

If this process repeats itself at random places in the universe, it could mean that "big bangs" happen relatively frequently given infinite time, it's just we would never be aware of them. It would also point to in infinite past as well as the infinite future.

I have tried to summarize but it's best to spend that minute and a half watching the summary to get a better idea.

I am familiar of the dangers of "pop-sci" video's trying to teach science and the dangers and gross misrepresentations this can present. Personally I do not find the findings of the video reasonable as the matter would be so spread out so much due to cosmic expansion but his use of "Laws of truly large numbers" and "infinity" with which I am not overly familiar with prompted me to create this post asking for feedback from those more versed in these topics. i.e the members of this forum.

Thank you in advance for your comments.

From your description he describes possibilities. For example, all air in a room being at one point is possible, but meaningless. Off hand his presentation sounds like much of the same.

MikeeMiracle said:
but it's best to spend that minute and a half watching the summary to get a better idea.

There's a minute and a half of my life I am never getting back.

Vanadium 50 said:
. It is also possible one will find a nugget of gold in a sewage treatment facility.
Oh, it's a nugget all right.

• Haha
Likes phinds
MikeeMiracle said:
I found this pop-sci video
This is not a valid reference. You need to find a textbook or peer-reviewed paper that discusses the topic you are interested in. (Hint: if the video doesn't reference any such source, how reliable do you think it is?)

Thread closed.

1. What is the concept of multiple "big bangs"?

The concept of multiple "big bangs" refers to the idea that the universe may have gone through multiple cycles of expansion and contraction, with each cycle starting with a big bang and ending with a big crunch. This theory suggests that the universe is constantly expanding and contracting, rather than having a single beginning and end.

2. How does the feasibility of multiple "big bangs" differ from the traditional big bang theory?

The traditional big bang theory suggests that the universe began with a single big bang and has been expanding ever since. The feasibility of multiple "big bangs" challenges this idea by proposing that the universe has gone through multiple cycles of expansion and contraction, with each cycle starting with a big bang.

3. What evidence supports the feasibility of multiple "big bangs"?

One of the main pieces of evidence supporting the feasibility of multiple "big bangs" is the observation that the expansion of the universe is accelerating. This suggests that the universe is not only expanding, but also accelerating in its expansion, which could be a result of previous cycles of expansion and contraction.

4. What are some potential implications of the feasibility of multiple "big bangs"?

If the feasibility of multiple "big bangs" is proven to be true, it could change our understanding of the origin and nature of the universe. It could also have implications for the future of the universe, as it suggests that the universe may continue to go through cycles of expansion and contraction.

5. What research is currently being done to investigate the feasibility of multiple "big bangs"?

Scientists are currently using various methods, such as studying the cosmic microwave background radiation and observing the expansion of the universe, to gather more evidence and support for the feasibility of multiple "big bangs". They are also conducting simulations and experiments to better understand the conditions and processes involved in multiple big bangs.