Fermi Energy of Non-Interacting Identical Li Atoms in a 3D Harmonic Potential Well

You're counting states here - k is just the label for the state, and there's always one state per unit cell.In summary, the degeneracy of the nth level above the ground state for a three dimensional harmonic oscillator is (n+1)(n+2)/2, and for a gas of N non-interacting identical lithium atoms confined in a 3d harmonic potential well, the Fermi energy can be determined by counting the number of states with energy less than E_F. The density of states for this system is given by g(E) = A E^2 / w^3, where A is a constant and w is the vibrational angular frequency. However, the density of states is calculated in terms of
bon

Homework Statement

The degeneracy of the nth level above the ground state for a three dimensional harmonic oscillator is (n+1)(n+2)/2 where n takes values n=0,1,2,...

A gas of N non-interacting identical lithium atoms (mass 6amu) each having spin1/2 is confined in a 3d harmonic potential well with vibrational angular freq w. Explain what the fermi energy is and sketch a graph of the fermi energy at absolute zero of temperature in units of h/2pi w as a function of the number of particles N for N in the range 1 to 50.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea where to even begin really. Any help would be great thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
i assume the fermi energy graph will be like a step function...but how do i include the fact that they are spin 1/2? do i need to? I can see that because of the degeneracy it will be a step funciton..

also what is the energy in each level. in the ground state is it just hbar w ? in the next state 2 hbar w etc..?

bon said:
i assume the fermi energy graph will be like a step function...but how do i include the fact that they are spin 1/2? do i need to? I can see that because of the degeneracy it will be a step funciton..

How many spin 1/2 particles can occupy a single energy eigenstate?

also what is the energy in each level. in the ground state is it just hbar w ? in the next state 2 hbar w etc..?

For a 3d HO, the energies are

[tex]E_n = \hbar\omega \left(n+\frac{3}{2}\right).[/tex]

To determine the Fermi energy, you will need to determine the number of states with energy less than [tex]E_F[/tex] (with quantum number [tex]n_F[/tex]). This gives the total number of particles [tex]N[/tex] in the system. Generally you'll assume that [tex]N[/tex] is large enough that you can approximate sums with integrals when counting states.

hmm ok so ground state we have n=0, only 1 atom can fit. therefore fermi energy is 3/2 (in units of hbar w)

n=1 degeneracy is 3, in each state 2 atoms can fit (1 spin up, 1 spin down), therefore, 6 atoms can fit into n=1 state? so until N=7 fermi energy = 5/2 hbar w.

then for N=8 it becomes 7/2? etc...

is this right?Also the next part of the question asks me to show that the density of states for the motion of a particle confined in such a well is

g(E) = A E^2 / w^3 where A is a constant which it asks me to obtain a value for and hence derive an approximate value for Ef when N = 10^6 and w = 2pi x 10^5.

But the density of states will include a volume V and I am not given this...how am i supposed to work out the Ef without this?

Thanks!

sorry that should be n=0 degeneracy is 2 therefore 2 can fit. therefore from N=3, ef = 5/2 then from N=9 becomes 7/2.. etc right?

bon said:
hmm ok so ground state we have n=0, only 1 atom can fit. therefore fermi energy is 3/2 (in units of hbar w)

n=1 degeneracy is 3, in each state 2 atoms can fit (1 spin up, 1 spin down), therefore, 6 atoms can fit into n=1 state? so until N=7 fermi energy = 5/2 hbar w.

then for N=8 it becomes 7/2? etc...

is this right?

If you can get 2 atoms into each n=1 state, why can you only get one into the ground state?

Also the next part of the question asks me to show that the density of states for the motion of a particle confined in such a well is

g(E) = A E^2 / w^3 where A is a constant which it asks me to obtain a value for and hence derive an approximate value for Ef when N = 10^6 and w = 2pi x 10^5.

But the density of states will include a volume V and I am not given this...how am i supposed to work out the Ef without this?

Thanks!

You might want to explain a bit more. The density of states comes from considering volume elements in the space of quantum numbers [tex]\vec{n}[/tex], not real space.

Thanks okay.

Well for the density of states..i thought it would be:

g(k) dk = (1/8 4pi k^2 dk) / (pi/L)^3 x 2

i.e. vol in k space occupied by all the states divided by the volume per state and all of this times two becomes of the spin degen. But then the L^3 on the bottom = V, the volume of the gas...?

bon said:
Thanks okay.

Well for the density of states..i thought it would be:

g(k) dk = (1/8 4pi k^2 dk) / (pi/L)^3 x 2

i.e. vol in k space occupied by all the states divided by the volume per state and all of this times two becomes of the spin degen. But then the L^3 on the bottom = V, the volume of the gas...?

I'm not sure what k is, here you have quantum numbers [tex]\vec{n}[/tex] and there's one state per unit cell in [tex]\vec{n}[/tex] space.

Related to Fermi Energy of Non-Interacting Identical Li Atoms in a 3D Harmonic Potential Well

1. What is the Fermi energy of non-interacting identical Li atoms in a 3D harmonic potential well?

The Fermi energy of non-interacting identical Li atoms in a 3D harmonic potential well is the maximum energy that an electron in the system can have at absolute zero temperature. It is a measure of the highest occupied energy level in the system.

2. How is the Fermi energy calculated for this system?

The Fermi energy can be calculated using the formula EF = (3N)1/3 * hbar * omega, where N is the number of atoms in the system, hbar is the reduced Planck's constant, and omega is the angular frequency of the harmonic potential.

3. What is the significance of the Fermi energy in this system?

The Fermi energy is an important quantity in quantum mechanics as it helps to determine the electronic properties of a system. In this system, it represents the energy at which the electrons are at their highest energy level and cannot occupy any higher energy levels due to the Pauli exclusion principle.

4. How does the Fermi energy change with temperature in this system?

In this system, the Fermi energy remains constant at absolute zero temperature. As the temperature increases, the Fermi energy also increases due to the thermal energy of the atoms. However, this increase is very small compared to the overall energy scale of the system.

5. What other factors can affect the Fermi energy in this system?

The Fermi energy in this system can also be affected by external factors such as the strength of the harmonic potential and the number of atoms in the system. Additionally, interactions between the atoms can also alter the Fermi energy, making it more complex to calculate in realistic systems.