Fermions Mass Terms in SM: Questions & Answers

In summary, fermions are a fundamental class of particles in the Standard Model with half-integer spins, including quarks and leptons. The mass term in the Standard Model refers to the part of the Lagrangian that gives particles their mass through interaction with a scalar field. Fermions acquire mass through the Higgs mechanism, which involves interaction with the Higgs field. The Higgs boson, associated with the Higgs field, plays a crucial role in generating mass for fermions. The masses of fermions differ due to their varying interactions with the Higgs field, explaining the differences in mass between particles such as the top quark and the electron.
Safinaz
Hi all,

I have some points not so clear for me about the fermions mass terms in SM; first, why
## \bar{\psi}\psi = \bar{\psi}_L \psi_R + \bar{\psi}_R \psi_L ##, that since

## \bar{\psi} = \bar{\psi}_R + \bar{\psi}_L ## and
## \psi = \psi_R + \psi_L ##

Where are such terms: ## \bar{\psi}_R \psi_R , \bar{\psi}_L \psi_L ##

Second: Why in SM the Majorana mass terms has not taken into account, that since term as:
## m~ \bar{\psi}_L \psi_R ## is not ## SU(2)_L ## invariant, a term as

## m~ \bar{\psi}_L \bar{\psi}^c_L, ~ m ~\bar{\psi}_R \bar{\psi}^c_R ## are gauge invariant. I mean could not Majorana mass terms replace the Higgs mechanism ?

Last: I read in literatures that ## m~ \bar{\psi}_L \psi_R ##, is not a re-normalizable term, but I don't see why , if ## \psi ## has dimensions of mass equals 3/2, then the the mass dimension of this term is only 4 !

Thanks,
S.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first question is answered by the fact that [itex]P_L P_R[/itex] or [itex] P_R P_L [/itex] are equivalent to the zero-operation:

[itex] (1 \pm \gamma_ 5) (1 \mp \gamma_5) = 1 - \gamma_5^2 = 0 [/itex]

now your [itex] \bar{\psi}_R \psi_R = \psi^\dagger P_R \gamma_0 P_R \psi = \bar{\psi} P_L P_R \psi =0[/itex]
where I used that [itex] P_R^\dagger = P_R [/itex] and that [itex] P_R \gamma_0 = \gamma_0 P_L [/itex]

For the second, first of all, the [itex] \psi_L [/itex] combination you have given is not SU(2)_L invariant, because both your fields transform as doublets under SU(2) transformation. It's the same reason that in the Sea-Saw mechanism you don't add such a term for the left handed neutrinos.
For the rights I am not sure, but which fermion in the SM is Majorana? appart from neutrinos there is no other chargeless fermion... And in neutrinos you can have such a term [in Seesaw mechanism]...

Finally for the mass term. Can you give some "literature" you found it in? In general the fermionic mass dimension doesn't have to be 3/2 (in general dimensions).
Then the mass term won't necessarily have the dimension 1.
However I don't understand why someone would call it non-renormalizable. You can renormalize the bare mass by adding mass regularizing terms (self energy diagrams).

Likes vanhees71
For the second, first of all, the ## ψ_L ## combination you have given is not SU(2)_L invariant, because both your fields transform as doublets under SU(2) transformation.

Do you mean that ## \psi_L ## transforms by ## \psi_L' \to e^{-iT_i a^i(x) } \psi_L ##, and ## \bar{\psi_L}^c ## transforms also by ## \bar{\psi_L'}^c \to e^{-iT_i a^i(x) } \bar{\psi_L}^c ## ?

Nevertheless, in a talk as
http://www.ippp.dur.ac.uk/~dph3tcl/NuNotes/TLiSeeSaw.pdf

slide 5, ## \bar{\nu_l}^c \nu_l ## term has taken in Seesaw mechanism ..

What do you think about good and clear reference for Seesaw mechanism ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Your original post is a bit unclear since you have not defined how the fields transform under the gauge group ##SU(2)_L##.

The Majorana mass term for Standard Model neutrinos is breaking ##SU(2)_L## due to the reason given by ChrisVer, the neutrino field is part of a weak doublet together with the corresponding left handed charged lepton. However, we know that ##SU(2)_L## is broken and at low energies it is possible to have such mass terms. In the seesaw mechanisms, they are generally introduced by integrating out a heavy field which gives rise to a Weinberg operator. Upon the Higgs taking a vev and breaking ##SU(2)_L##, this results in a neutrino Majorana mass. This is the effective regime that Tracey is looking at.

Likes vanhees71
I don't ask about neutrino specifically, but as in my second question it isn't clear why a combination as ## \bar{\psi_L}^c \psi_L ## is not allowed under SU(2)_L .

You cannot get an answer to this question unless you specify how ##\psi## transforms under ##SU(2)_L##. If ##\psi## is a neutrino field ##\nu_L##, it is part of an ##SU(2)_L## doublet and therefore cannot appear in the Lagrangian without its ##SU(2)_L## partner. As I said in the previous post, it can appear after electroweak symmetry breaking once ##SU(2)_L## is broken, generally by the Higgs field in the Weinberg operator ##\overline{L^c}\phi \tilde \phi^\dagger L /\Lambda + h.c.## taking a vev and thus singling out the neutrino component of the ##SU(2)_L## doublet ##L = (\nu_L e_L)##, where ##e_L## is the left handed charged lepton field.

Likes vanhees71

1. What are fermions in the Standard Model?

Fermions are one of the two fundamental classes of particles in the Standard Model of particle physics. They are particles with half-integer spins, and include quarks and leptons.

2. What is a mass term in the Standard Model?

A mass term in the Standard Model refers to the part of the Lagrangian that gives particles their mass. It is a scalar field that interacts with the fermion fields, resulting in the generation of mass for particles.

3. How do fermions acquire mass in the Standard Model?

Fermions acquire mass through the Higgs mechanism, which involves the interaction of the fermion fields with the Higgs field. This interaction results in the fermions gaining mass, giving them their observed properties.

4. What is the role of the Higgs boson in fermion mass terms?

The Higgs boson is the particle associated with the Higgs field, which is responsible for giving particles their mass in the Standard Model. The Higgs boson interacts with fermions, resulting in the generation of mass through the Higgs mechanism.

5. How do the masses of fermions differ in the Standard Model?

The masses of fermions in the Standard Model differ due to the strength of their interactions with the Higgs field. The more strongly a fermion interacts with the Higgs field, the greater its mass will be. This explains why some particles, like the top quark, are much more massive than others, like the electron.