Feynman diagram for scalar - vector interaction

In summary: Again this is reflected in the energy momentum space by the fact that the external photon momentum is ##k_{\mu}=p_1-p_2##.
gerald V
TL;DR Summary
How does the respective diagram look? How can the current conservation be seen?
The term for the electromagnetic interaction of a Fermion is ##g \bar{\Psi} \gamma_\mu \Psi A^\mu##, where ##g## is a dimensionless coupling constant, ##\Psi## is the wave function of the Fermion, ##\gamma## are the gamma matrices and ##A## is the electromagnetic field. One can quite simply see that in lowest order, one Fermion line goes in, one Fermion line goes out, and one electromagnetic line goes out or in.

In contrast, for charged scalars with complex wave function ##\varphi##, the interaction term reads ##g \varphi^* A^\mu \partial_\mu \varphi - cc.##. How does the interaction diagram look in this case, in particular the part encoding ##\partial_\mu \varphi##?

The electromagnetic current produced by the scalar field is conserved. How can this be seen from the diagram?I apologize if this is a stupid question. Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Complete nonexpert here but I would guess the ##\partial_\mu## contributes a factor of ##ik_\mu## in the integral.

In the usual fermionic QED you have only one tree-level vertex with one incoming and one outgoing fermion line, where the arrows indicate charge flow and a wiggly photon line carrying a Lorentz index ##\mu##. The vertex reads ##-\mathrm{i} \gamma^{\mu}## (in the ##\gamma## matrix you have of course also two Dirac-spinor indices, but they are usually not written out but you use the bispinor formalism with four-component bi-spinors ##u## and ##v## and the Dirac matrices as building blocks).

The current conservation holds for "on-shell" diagrams only (as in classical field theory, the Noether currents obey the continuity equation for the solution of the field equations only). The current is ##\propto \bar{\psi} \gamma^{\mu} \psi##. In the Feynman diagrams you usually work in energy-momentum space. The external fermion legs in a diagram have, e.g., the meaning of ##u(p_1,\sigma_1)## (leg with arrow pointing towards the vertex, meaning an incoming particle) and an ##\bar{u}(p_2,\sigma_2)## (leg with arrow pointing away from the vertex, meaning an outgoing particle). The spinors fullfil the "on-shell conditions" ##(p_{\mu} \gamma^{\mu}-m) u(p,\sigma)=0## and ##\bar{u}(p,\sigma) (p_{\mu} \gamma^{\mu}-m)##. At each vertex energy-momentum conservation holds, i.e., the photon momentum is ##k=p_1-p_2##. Current conservation thus is reflected for this example by
$$k_{\mu} \bar{u}(p_2,\sigma_2)\gamma^{\mu} u(p_1,\sigma_2)=\bar{u}(p_2,\sigma_2)\gamma^{\mu} (p_{1\mu}-p_{2 \mu}) u(p_1,\sigma_2)=\bar{u}(p_2,\sigma_2) (m-m)u(p_1,\sigma_2)=0.$$
Note that it is important that both spinors belong to the same particle, i.e., ##m## is the same for both particles in the vertex.

In "scalar QED" it is important to note that you have two vertices at the tree level. One looking as before, i.e., an incoming and an outgoing scalar-boson leg and a photon line but also another one with an incoming and an outgoing scalar-boson leg and two photon lines. The first one has the meaning ##-\mathrm{i} g (p_1^{\mu} + p_2^{\mu})## (in this notation the photon line carries the momentum ##p_1^{\mu}-p_2^{\mu}##, the 2nd one ##\mathrm{i} g^2 g^{\mu \nu}##. To see the current conservation again you only need the first diagram, and there the current conservation for on-shell external legs, implying ##p_1^2=p_2^2=m^2## the current conservation comes simply from ##(p_1-p_2) \cdot (p_1+p_2)=p_1^2-p_2^2=m^2-m^2-0##.

Likes Paul Colby

1. What is a Feynman diagram for scalar-vector interaction?

A Feynman diagram for scalar-vector interaction is a graphical representation of the mathematical calculations in quantum field theory that describe the interaction between a scalar particle (such as the Higgs boson) and a vector particle (such as a photon or W or Z boson).

2. How is a Feynman diagram for scalar-vector interaction drawn?

A Feynman diagram for scalar-vector interaction is drawn as a series of lines and vertices representing the particles involved in the interaction. Scalar particles are represented by straight lines, while vector particles are represented by wavy lines. The vertices where the lines meet represent the interactions between the particles.

3. What information can be obtained from a Feynman diagram for scalar-vector interaction?

A Feynman diagram for scalar-vector interaction can provide information about the probability of the interaction occurring, the energy and momentum of the particles involved, and the direction of the interaction.

4. How is a Feynman diagram for scalar-vector interaction related to quantum field theory?

Feynman diagrams are a tool used in quantum field theory to visualize and calculate the interactions between particles. In the case of scalar-vector interaction, the Feynman diagram allows us to calculate the probability of the interaction occurring and the resulting outcomes.

5. Are Feynman diagrams for scalar-vector interaction only used in theoretical physics?

No, Feynman diagrams for scalar-vector interaction are also used in experimental physics to analyze and interpret data from particle collision experiments. They provide a visual representation of the underlying physical processes and can aid in understanding the results of experiments.