Feynman solution for the radial wave function of the hydrogen atom

In summary: For ##k=n-1## the value of ##l## is ##0##, so that the recursive formula (19.50) gives the radial component of the wave function for ##k=l+1##.
emilionovati
TL;DR Summary
Problema in the interpretation of the Feynman solution of the Schrodinger equation for the hydrogen atom
Reading the classical Feynman lectures, I encounter the formula(19.53) that gives the radial component of the wave function:
$$
F_{n,l}(\rho)=\frac{e^{-\alpha\rho}}{\rho}\sum_{k=l+1}^n a_k \rho^k
$$
that, for ##n=l+1## becomes
$$
F_{n,l}=\frac{e^{-\rho/n}}{\rho}a_n\rho^n
$$
To find ##a_n## I use the recursive formula (19.50), but here I have problem. Using $k+1=n=l+1$ I find a division by zero.

$$
a_n =\frac{2\left( \frac{n-1}{n}-1 \right)}{(n-1)n-(n-1)n}
$$

so clearly I have a mistake. But where is it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I observe denominator of (19.50) is
[tex]n(n-1)-l(l-1)[/tex]
for k=n-1. As ##n \geq l+1## it is not zero.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
But, in the (19.50) the denominator is
$$
k(k+1)-l(l+1)
$$
that, for ##k=n-1## becomes
$$
(n-1)n-l(l+1)
$$
and, since ##n=l+1## we have
$$
(n-1)n-(n-1)n
$$

Feynman says "This means that k must start at l+1 and end at n."
Your case, ##k=n-1=(l+1)-1=l##, does not satisfy it.

Likes vanhees71
The general formula is ##n=n_r+l+1##, where the radial quantum number ##n_r \in \mathbb{N}_0=\{0,1,2,\ldots\}## and the orbital-angular-momentum quantum number ##l \in \{0,1,2,\ldots \}##. The principle quantum number ##n \in \mathbb{N}=\{1,2,\ldots \}##. Usually the hydrogen energy eigenstates (neglecting spin) are labeled by ##(n,l,m)## (where the magnetic quantum number ##m \in \{-l,-l+2,\ldots,l-1,l\}##). The energy eigenvalues are ##E_n=-\frac{m_e e^4}{2 (4 \pi \epsilon)^2 \hbar^2 n^2}=-1 \text{Ry}/n^2## with ##1 \text{Ry} \simeq 13.6 \; \text{eV}##; ##n## is thus called the principal quantum number (that the ##E_n## do not independently depend on ##n_r## and ##l## is due to the dynamical O(4) symmetry of the hydrogen bound states; ##E_n## is ##n^2## fold degenerate).

Since ##n_r =n-l-1 \geq 0## for a given ##n## the possible values for ##l## are ##0,1,\ldots n-1##.

Likes etotheipi

1. What is the Feynman solution for the radial wave function of the hydrogen atom?

The Feynman solution for the radial wave function of the hydrogen atom is a mathematical formula that describes the probability of finding an electron at a certain distance from the nucleus of a hydrogen atom. It was developed by physicist Richard Feynman in 1948.

2. How is the Feynman solution different from other solutions for the hydrogen atom?

The Feynman solution differs from other solutions in that it is based on a path integral formulation, which takes into account all possible paths that an electron can take when moving from one point to another. This allows for a more accurate description of the electron's behavior compared to other solutions.

3. What is the significance of the Feynman solution in quantum mechanics?

The Feynman solution is significant in quantum mechanics because it provides a more intuitive and comprehensive understanding of the behavior of particles, such as electrons, at the atomic level. It also forms the basis for many other important theories and calculations in quantum mechanics.

4. How is the Feynman solution used in practical applications?

The Feynman solution is used in practical applications such as in the development of new materials, understanding the properties of atoms and molecules, and in the design of electronic devices. It is also used in theoretical research to explore the behavior of particles in extreme conditions, such as in black holes.

5. Are there any limitations to the Feynman solution for the hydrogen atom?

Like any scientific theory, the Feynman solution has its limitations. It does not take into account the effects of relativity and does not accurately describe the behavior of particles in very strong magnetic fields. However, it is still a valuable tool in understanding the behavior of particles at the atomic level.