How Much Light Can Fiber Optic Cables Carry?

In summary, the conversation discusses the different thicknesses of fiber optic cables and the purpose behind them. It is noted that there are limits on the intensity of light that can be put through an optical fiber, with potential issues such as material damage or Stimulated Brillouin Scattering. The minimum radius of bend and attenuation are also mentioned as factors to consider when choosing a fiber optic cable. The conversation ends with a question about whether a 1-2kW application can be easily handled by most fiber cables.
zplizzi
I am trying to design a system that will carry light for illumination along a fiber optic cable. I see that there are many thicknesses of fiber optic cable - however I am unsure of the purpose of this. I've never heard of a 'density' of light that you can put into a cable - is there such a thing? Ie. is there a certain 'amount' of light that you can put through a certain diameter of fiber optic cabling, kind of like there is a maximum amperage you can put through a certain diameter wire? (I know it's due to resistance in electrical wire, which is very minimal in fiber.. which would lead to a negatory answer)

If not, then why the different thicknesses of fiber? (I'm talking about single strands for simplicity)

Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
Light density = Light Intensity (or, more correctly, irradiance).

There are upper limits on the intensity that can be put through an optical fibre, which limits are relevant depend on the application. The "hard" limit is material damage that arises due to high intensity light, though other "softer" limits such as Stimulated Brillouin Scattering can also arise, which can affect applications that use coherent light.

Claude.

Could the different thicknesses available relate to the minimum radius of bend that you can get? (As with copper cables)
Fibre width is very relevant for digital signalling, of course, but pulse spreading is not a problem in lighting applications.

Hmm.. I'm having trouble finding data on what kinds of irradiance fiber optics cables can handle.

My application will require something like 1-2kW of sunlight to be focused into the fiber.. I'm not sure if this is easily handled by most fiber cables or not.

I can see where bend radius might affect it - luckily my application won't need any tight bends so that isn't a major issue.

Ok, I've done some more thinking; here's what I've come up with.

A high quality APF (All Plastic Fiber) cable of some radius has an attenuation of about .15 db/m

Since attenuation is defined as ## att = 10*log(power_f/power_i),## my power transmission would be about 97% per meter.

For 1kw of power transmitted over 1m of cable, this equates to about 30W of power dissipated.. is this something a decently thick fiber optic cable can handle continuously?

Or am I on the completely wrong track?

1. What is fiber optic cable capacity?

Fiber optic cable capacity refers to the amount of data that can be transmitted through a single fiber optic cable at a given time. It is measured in terms of bandwidth, which is typically expressed in gigabits per second (Gbps).

2. How is fiber optic cable capacity determined?

The capacity of a fiber optic cable is determined by the physical characteristics of the cable, such as its length, diameter, and the quality of the materials used to make it. It is also affected by the type of transmission technology used, such as single mode or multimode fiber.

3. What factors affect the capacity of fiber optic cables?

The main factors that affect the capacity of fiber optic cables include the type and quality of the cable, the transmission technology used, the distance the data needs to travel, and the type of network equipment used to transmit and receive the data.

4. What is the maximum capacity of fiber optic cables?

The maximum capacity of fiber optic cables can vary depending on the factors mentioned above. However, with advancements in technology, modern fiber optic cables can have a capacity of up to 100 terabits per second (Tbps).

5. How does fiber optic cable capacity compare to other types of cables?

Fiber optic cables have a much higher capacity compared to other types of cables, such as copper or coaxial cables. This is because fiber optic cables use light to transmit data, which allows for faster and more efficient data transfer. Additionally, fiber optic cables have a much larger bandwidth capacity, making them ideal for high-speed data transmission.