Fields and Field Extensions - Dummit and Foote, Ch. 13 .... ....

In summary: Dummit and Foote, Chapter 13, relies on the homomorphism property of $\pi$. This property allows for multiplication of cosets, as in your example with $p(x) = x^2 - 5$.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Dummit and Foote, Chapter 13 - Field Theory.

I am currently studying Theorem 3 [pages 512 - 513]

I need some help with an aspect the proof of Theorem 3 ... ...

Theorem 3 on pages 512-513 reads as follows:
View attachment 6580
View attachment 6581
In the above text from Dummit and Foote, we read the following:

" ... ... We identify \(\displaystyle F\) with its isomorphic image in \(\displaystyle K\) and view \(\displaystyle F\) as a subfield of \(\displaystyle K\). If \(\displaystyle \overline{x} = \pi (x)\) denotes the image of \(\displaystyle x\) in the quotient \(\displaystyle K\), then

\(\displaystyle p( \overline{x} ) = \overline{ p(x) }\) ... ... (since \(\displaystyle \pi\) is a homomorphism)

... ... "My question is as follows: ... where in the proof of \(\displaystyle p( \overline{x} ) = \overline{ p(x) }\) does it depend on \(\displaystyle \pi\) being a homomorphism ...

... indeed, how does one formally and rigorously demonstrate that \(\displaystyle p( \overline{x} ) = \overline{ p(x) }\) ... ... and how does this proof depend on \(\displaystyle \pi\) being a homomorphism ...
To make my question clearer consider the case of \(\displaystyle p(x) = x^2 - 5\) ... ...

Then ...

\(\displaystyle p( \overline{x} ) = \overline{x}^2 - 5_K \)

\(\displaystyle = ( x + ( p(x) ) ( x + ( p(x) ) - ( 5 + ( p(x) )\)

\(\displaystyle = ( x^2 + ( p(x) ) - ( 5 + ( p(x) )\)

\(\displaystyle = ( x^2 - 5 ) + ( p(x) ) = 0\)

\(\displaystyle = \overline{ p(x) } \)
... ... in the above case, my question is ... where does the above calculation depend on \(\displaystyle \pi\) being a homomorphism ... ?
Hope someone can help ...

Peter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
... indeed, how does one formally and rigorously demonstrate that \(\displaystyle p( \overline{x} ) = \overline{ p(x) }\) ... ... and how does this proof depend on \(\displaystyle \pi\) being a homomorphism ...

The homomorphism property of $\pi$ allows for multiplication of cosets, as in your example with $p(x) = x^2 - 5$. In this general case, since $\pi$ is a homomorphism of rings, $\pi(ax^k) = \pi(a)\pi(x)^k=a\pi(x)^k$ for all scalars $a$ and for all $k \ge 0$, i.e., $\overline{ax^k} = a\bar{x}^k$ for all $a$ and $k$. Hence, by additivity of $\pi$, $p(\bar{x}) = \overline{p(x)}$.

Euge said:
The homomorphism property of $\pi$ allows for multiplication of cosets, as in your example with $p(x) = x^2 - 5$. In this general case, since $\pi$ is a homomorphism of rings, $\pi(ax^k) = \pi(a)\pi(x)^k=a\pi(x)^k$ for all scalars $a$ and for all $k \ge 0$, i.e., $\overline{ax^k} = a\bar{x}^k$ for all $a$ and $k$. Hence, by additivity of $\pi$, $p(\bar{x}) = \overline{p(x)}$.
Thanks Euge ... most helpful as usual ...

Peter

1. What is a field extension?

A field extension is a mathematical structure that is formed by extending a smaller field by adding new elements. These new elements are called algebraic or transcendental elements.

2. How is a field extension represented?

A field extension is commonly represented as F(a), where F is the base field and a is the added element. It can also be represented as F(a1, a2, ..., an), where multiple elements are added to the base field.

3. What is the degree of a field extension?

The degree of a field extension is the dimension of the extension over the base field. It is denoted by [F(a):F] and represents the number of elements needed to generate the extension.

4. What is the difference between an algebraic and transcendental extension?

An algebraic extension is formed by adding algebraic elements, which are roots of polynomials with coefficients in the base field. A transcendental extension is formed by adding transcendental elements, which are not algebraic over the base field.

5. What are some applications of field extensions?

Field extensions have various applications in mathematics, including solving polynomial equations, constructing new fields with desired properties, and studying the structure of algebraic varieties. They also have practical applications in cryptography, coding theory, and physics.