Figuring out the acidic % of a certain food

• Thread starter chris111
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Food
In summary, to figure out the acidic % of something, dissolve it in water and titrate with very dilute sodium hydroxide.
chris111
what's the easiest way to go abouts figuring (using basic lab tools) out the acidic % of a certain type of food, especially if it's a solid not a liquid. Would you still titrate it somehow? Help! please! Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What's an "acidic %?" Do you mean pH?

- Warren

chris111 said:
especially if it's a solid not a liquid.
Weigh the food then dissolve it in water. Titrate with very dilute sodium hydroxide.That will tell the number of equivalents. If you know what acid you are looking for (citric in lemons?), you can turn that equivalence into moles, then into mass. Divide the mass of the acid by the mass of the entire thing you dissolved then multiply by 100 and you have % acid.

But how would i "Dissolve the item in water"...lets say it's a pickle? Would I just grind it up till its in smaller chunks? Would that be an accurate way? thanks for ur help btw.

Acidity in terms of pH pertains to that of an agent's dissociation constant (in relevance to hydronium ions).

As far as the pH of a solid food of any type is concerned, you would simply dissolve the agent in water...if you wish to find the pH of sliced pickels you would do the same, each of them may correspond to different pHs.

If you were concerned about the pH contribution of sliced pickels v.s. larger chunks of these pickels, dissolve both in water and properly calculate pH. The same with any other situation, pH=-log[H30+], each situation will have its own pH.

chris111 said:
But how would i "Dissolve the item in water"...lets say it's a pickle? Would I just grind it up till its in smaller chunks? Would that be an accurate way? thanks for ur help btw.
I'd pulverize it thoroughly, soak it, then put it in a funnel with filter paper and wash it, collecting the water.

In a health perspective this question is somewhat relevant, one with heartburn might want to know the effect of eating a pickel, or rather the contribution of the pickel in further damaging the inner lining of the esophagus (not quite sure about the biology). The straightforward answer would probably be that, the acid component of a pickel is vinegar, thus in don't eat pickels whether sliced, cubed, or in any shape and size.

Thus calculate or look up the pH of vinegar, or try squeezing it out of the pickel, pickel itself is not a compound :smile: so you won't determine the pH of it persay.

awsome, you guys really know your chem. I was just confused by the whole situation, but that helps a lot! thanks

Related to Figuring out the acidic % of a certain food

1. How do you determine the acidic % of a certain food?

The acidic % of a certain food can be determined by conducting a titration experiment. This involves adding a base solution to the food sample until it reaches a neutral pH. The amount of base solution used can then be used to calculate the acidic % of the food.

2. What equipment is needed to figure out the acidic % of a certain food?

To determine the acidic % of a certain food, you will need a burette, a base solution (such as sodium hydroxide), an indicator (such as phenolphthalein), and a sample of the food.

3. What is the purpose of figuring out the acidic % of a certain food?

Knowing the acidic % of a certain food can help in understanding its potential health effects and potential interactions with other foods or medications. It can also be useful in determining the shelf life and stability of the food product.

4. Can the acidic % of a certain food change over time?

Yes, the acidic % of a certain food can change over time due to various factors such as exposure to air, temperature, and microbial activity. It is important to note the age of the food sample when conducting experiments to determine its acidic %.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when figuring out the acidic % of a certain food?

Yes, when handling chemicals such as a base solution, it is important to wear gloves and safety glasses to protect yourself from potential harm. It is also important to properly dispose of any waste products and clean up any spills to prevent accidents.