Food Chemist vs. Chemical Engineer- Help

In summary: Thanks!In summary, the person is looking for guidance on what type of chemist they should be looking to contact to continue the process of making an edible product. They are thinking that it may be more of an engineer to help put the ingredients together to make the product.

Food Chemist vs. Chemical Engineer for Invention of edible product. Reasoning in comments, please.

• Food Chemist

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chemical Engineer

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
sunshine1025
First, thank you for taking the time to read this. I need some guidance as I am inventing somewhat of a new edible product. Curious as to if someone can point me in the right direction for the type of chemist I should actually be looking for. At first I was under the impression that it would be a food chemist, but from further research, am thinking it may be more of an engineer to help make this product by combining certain ingredients while it still being edible to consume... I can't give too much info away on exactly what the product is although I know it'd make it easier to find the help but I'm pretty sure you get the idea of the direction I'm going with this.
Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
sunshine1025 said:
but I'm pretty sure you get the idea of the direction I'm going with this.
Actually, no. You're describing a "mind reading" experiment. What you want is a non-disclosure agreement with patent attorneys and consultants/consulting firms.

Of course a non- disclosure agreement/ patent when working with someone or telling someone about it (which is why I didn't go into it on here) ... but what I'm asking In this thread is guidance on what type of chemist I should be looking to contact to continue the process. Food Chemist vs. Chemical Engineer to help put the ingredients together to make the edible product. If I'm way off here between these two types of professions, what would you suggest?

Bystander said:
Actually, no. You're describing a "mind reading" experiment. What you want is a non-disclosure agreement with patent attorneys and consultants/consulting firms.
And thank you for your reply.

Chemical engineers are probably better trained for the materials handling aspects. Food chemists? Pardon the pun, but they probably come in many flavors, those who are more focused on nutrition and diet, those who deal with preservation and storage issues, those who work on chemical issues in primary production (agricultural chemistry), and, I would suppose, chem. E's who've moved into food processing.

Bystander said:
Chemical engineers are probably better trained for the materials handling aspects. Food chemists? Pardon the pun, but they probably come in many flavors, those who are more focused on nutrition and diet, those who deal with preservation and storage issues, those who work on chemical issues in primary production (agricultural chemistry), and, I would suppose, chem. E's who've moved into food processing.
I see what you're saying. When you break it down that way, it does sound like a chemical engineer would be more beneficial to me at this point. Your answer helped... and got quite a chuckle at the flavors comment. Very clever haha

1. What is the difference between a Food Chemist and a Chemical Engineer?

A Food Chemist focuses on the chemistry of food and its properties, while a Chemical Engineer applies principles of chemistry, physics, and engineering to design, develop, and optimize processes for the production of chemicals, materials, and other products.

2. Can a Food Chemist also work as a Chemical Engineer?

While there may be some overlap in the skills and knowledge required for both roles, a Food Chemist and a Chemical Engineer have different areas of expertise and typically work in different industries. However, a Food Chemist with a strong background in chemistry and engineering principles may be able to transition into a role as a Chemical Engineer.

3. Which field offers better job opportunities, Food Chemistry or Chemical Engineering?

Both fields offer excellent job opportunities, but it ultimately depends on your interests and career goals. Food Chemistry may be a better fit for those interested in the food industry, while Chemical Engineering may be more appealing for those interested in the production of chemicals, materials, and other products.

4. What kind of education and training do I need to become a Food Chemist or a Chemical Engineer?

To become a Food Chemist, you typically need at least a bachelor's degree in Food Science or a related field. For a Chemical Engineer, a bachelor's degree in Chemical Engineering or a related field is generally required. Both roles may also require additional certifications or training depending on the specific job requirements.

5. What are the typical job responsibilities of a Food Chemist and a Chemical Engineer?

A Food Chemist may be responsible for testing and analyzing food samples, developing new food products, ensuring food safety and quality, and conducting research and experiments related to food chemistry. A Chemical Engineer, on the other hand, may be responsible for designing and optimizing chemical processes, troubleshooting production issues, and developing new products and materials.