Files have become overly sensitive to mouse drags

• Thread starter nomadreid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    files
In summary: I'll give that a try before I go out and buy a new mouse.In summary, the conversation discusses an issue where the mouse is opening files instead of dragging them, and the speaker wonders if there is a way to adjust the settings to fix this. They ask for pointers on how to do so in Windows 10 and also consider the possibility that the mouse itself may be faulty. A possible solution is suggested to try unplugging and plugging the mouse back in before considering purchasing a new one.
nomadreid
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Recently, when I want to drag a file, the file opens before I can drag it.
In the last month, when I use my mouse to drag a file, it has been opening the file instead. I have not changed my technique for dragging, so I suppose there is some setting that has become shifted. Can I adjust for, say, a time-lapse before opening, or perhaps changing the opening command to a double click, or some such. If so, where do I find this (Windows 10) Or do I just need a new mouse? I would be grateful for pointers.

Computer science news on Phys.org
nomadreid said:
Summary: Recently, when I want to drag a file, the file opens before I can drag it.

If so, where do I find this (Windows 10)
Tho it is possible that the pushbutton in the mouse it becoming faulty ... you haven't stated how old it is.
You should be able to determine that by how well the physical click sounds coming from the mouse switch.

If it sounds weak ( not a clear defined click) then yes the mouse is probably faulty... they don't last for ever
~2 yrs and time for a new one :smile:

failing that, you could check the click speed in the Win10 mouse settings I find the medium setting suits me
see screen dump below

mouse settings.jpg

cheers
Dave

Likes nomadreid
Super answer, thanks, Dave (davenn). :biggrin: Yes, old mouse. I will try the Settings you indicate, and if that doesn't work, get a new mouse.

Before you get the new mouse try unplugging it and plugging it back in, that will reset the parameters changed if any. I havge to do this all the time after my son starts playing with the DPI buttons on my gaming mouse.

Likes anorlunda and nomadreid
Thanks for the tip, MikeeMiracle!

1. What causes files to become overly sensitive to mouse drags?

There are a few possible causes for this issue. One common reason is that the mouse sensitivity settings may have been changed, making the files more sensitive to small movements. Another possibility is that there may be a problem with the mouse hardware itself, such as a worn out or dirty mouse sensor.

2. How can I adjust the mouse sensitivity to fix this issue?

To adjust the mouse sensitivity, you can go to your computer's control panel or settings and look for the mouse or touchpad settings. From there, you should be able to adjust the sensitivity to a level that works for you.

3. Why is it important to fix this issue?

If your files are overly sensitive to mouse drags, it can make it difficult to accurately select and move files on your computer. This can lead to frustration and may also impact your productivity if you rely on precise movements for your work.

4. Are there any other possible solutions for this issue?

Yes, there are a few other things you can try. First, you can try cleaning your mouse and mousepad to ensure there is no debris or dirt interfering with the mouse's movement. You can also try using a different mouse to see if the issue persists. If the problem only occurs with a specific program or application, you may need to adjust the settings within that program.

5. Could this issue be caused by a virus or malware?

It's unlikely that a virus or malware would specifically cause files to become overly sensitive to mouse drags. However, it's always a good idea to regularly scan your computer for viruses and malware to ensure your system is functioning properly.