Final Concentration Formula for Chemical Mixtures: CiVi+CiVi=CfVf

• Thread starter recon9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mixing
In summary, the formula used to find the final concentration when mixing two samples of the same chemical with different volumes and concentrations is CiVi + CiVi= CfVf ?C1V1 = C2V2Thats for dilution. The final volume will be the sum of the 2 volumes before, but the concentration will be different. Another option is to use the formula \frac {C_1V_1+C_2V_2}{V_1+V_2}, which takes into account the final volume and concentration after mixing the two solutions. However, it is important to note that the final concentration will be lower than each of the individual solutions due to the dilution effect of mixing.
recon9
Ok, I am trying to remember my grade 11 chem stuff cause I am helping out a friend who is taking it, but When you have 2 samples of the same chemical, different volumes and different concentrations then mix them, what formula is used to find the final concentration? is it CiVi + CiVi= CfVf ?

Likes Huzaifa
Chemistry news on Phys.org
C1V1 = C2V2

• Informative
Likes Huzaifa
Thats for dilution. In this question I have 2 samples of the same substance each with a different volume and concentration. Those are then mixed. How do I find the total concentration of the mixture? The final volume will be the sum of the 2 volumes before, but the concentration will be different.

Likes Huzaifa
I got it now. You may use this then:
[tex]\frac {C_1V_1+C_2V_2}{V_1+V_2}[/tex]
This will give the final concentration after two solutions are mixed. But please remember that the final concentration will be less than each of the two, as two solutions are mixed; so a dilution approach would not be incorrect, unless one of the participants is solvent-free.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Huzaifa and Cyrus the great

Related to Final Concentration Formula for Chemical Mixtures: CiVi+CiVi=CfVf

What is the final concentration formula for chemical mixtures?

The final concentration formula for chemical mixtures is CiVi+CiVi=CfVf, where Ci represents the initial concentration of a substance, Vi represents the initial volume of that substance, Cf represents the final concentration of the mixture, and Vf represents the final volume of the mixture.

How is the final concentration formula for chemical mixtures derived?

The final concentration formula for chemical mixtures is derived from the law of conservation of mass, which states that the mass of the reactants must equal the mass of the products in a chemical reaction. This formula takes into account the initial concentrations and volumes of the individual substances, as well as the final concentration and volume of the mixture.

What are the units for the final concentration formula for chemical mixtures?

The units for the final concentration formula for chemical mixtures will depend on the units used for the initial concentrations and volumes. However, the final concentration will have the same units as the initial concentrations, and the final volume will have the same units as the initial volume.

Can the final concentration formula for chemical mixtures be used for any type of mixture?

Yes, the final concentration formula for chemical mixtures can be used for any type of mixture as long as the law of conservation of mass holds true. This formula is commonly used in chemistry to calculate the concentration and volume of a solution after two or more substances are mixed together.

Are there any limitations to using the final concentration formula for chemical mixtures?

There are a few limitations to using the final concentration formula for chemical mixtures. This formula assumes that the total volume of the mixture is equal to the sum of the initial volumes of the individual substances. It also assumes that there is no change in volume due to a chemical reaction or other factors. Additionally, this formula may not be accurate for highly concentrated mixtures or mixtures with multiple reactions occurring simultaneously.