FINAL VOTE - Bridge Over Troubled Water

In summary, the wilson bridge is threatened by a bike that has been modified to have more power. The final round of voting is difficult because there are three votes separating the top three contestants. Good luck to everyone!

FINAL VOTE - Bridge Over Troubled Water

• hypatia

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Kurdt

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • hypnagogue

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • turbo-1

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Dmitri

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Janus

Votes: 10 32.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
This promises to be a rather difficult final round of voting. Good luck to everyone!

1. hypatia
oldbridge.jpg

2. Kurdt
http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/219/tyne270904026ut8.jpg

3. hypnagogue
http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/2142/bbridgeap8.jpg

4. turbo-1
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8899/wirebridgeos4.jpg

5. Dmitri
http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/7530/img0608gl8.jpg

6. Janus
hawthorne.jpg

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
And what are we supposed to do?

Wow! Every one of these could be a postcard. I think I am going to go with Janus's pic because it's kind of a romantic view. :!)

Last edited:
Same two choices as before, and after careful consideration, same decision. Maybe the Brooklyn Bridge is just too familiar to me, but I liked Hypatia's wonderful shot just a tad better.

This thread is funny, becuase they are going to blow up the wilson bridge today.

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0806/355052.html

Bye bye!

I had to go with Janus again for this one. It just looks so warm and inviting. :smile:

Same here.

I went with Turbo because I am a sucker for any pic with that bike in it haha

kurdt's, cool shape and I love the shot of that water.

There's this weird series of posts (they don't look like buoys) sticking out of the water in that pic. I can't imagine what they're for.

Gokul43201 said:
There's this weird series of posts (they don't look like buoys) sticking out of the water in that pic. I can't imagine what they're for.

Looks like a channel to make sure boats go under the highest part of the bridge.

-GeoMike-

GeoMike said:
Looks like a channel to make sure boats go under the highest part of the bridge.
That was my first thought. But you'd think they'd use buoys for that, wouldn't you? Or are those things buoys after all?

Yeah its to protect the bridge in case a ship strays off course while traveling underneath (the posts are concrete). As you can see the size of boat or ship is severely limited by the bridge. Recently they installed a modern art feature in the area enclosed by these posts which consists of some old cars made to float with their tops just above the water.

Actually I managed to find some amusing footage of the bridge fully open, you'll see why its amusing as the footage progresses.

[MEDIA=youtube]RJJ5cCO6R3M[/MEDIA]&mode=related&search=[/URL]

looks like it was taken from the baltic modern art centre near the bridge.

scorpa said:
I went with Turbo because I am a sucker for any pic with that bike in it haha
Thanks, scorpa. That was one hot Wide-Glide. Dave Perewitz did the head-work, https://www.perewitz.com/default.asp it had an EV3 cam with adjustable push-rods, a K&N filter, high-flow petcock and fuel filter, S&S Super E racing carb with Yost Power Tube pre-atomizer, and low-restriction pipes with anti-reversion rings. My new Softail has a larger-displacement Twin Cam engine and I have installed a K&N filter, low-restriction pipes and a programmable Power Commander, but for raw power it couldn't hold a candle to the Wide Glide.

One year, I asked my cousin's 16-year-old daughter what she wanted for Christmas, expecting her to ask for my teriaki chicken, hot beef jerky, or maybe shrimp egg-rolls (we always had them over to our house and cooked everybody's favorite dishes), and she said "I want a ride on your Harley!" As luck would have it, the morning was in the mid-40's, so I picked her up and we went on a 40-mile circuit of local towns with me driving and her smiling and waving like a beauty queen (not far off the mark!) at families heading for church. She was thrilled, and wore a grin that could not be erased all day. Her older sister got to "help" me with the spicy smoked beef jerky, including the incremental taste tests, and was pretty happy, too, so we had a great day.

If you haven't cast your vote for this contest, you have less than a couple of days left. Vote count so far is VERY tight, with 3 votes separating 1st and 4th place. So every vote counts!

Zz.

Related to FINAL VOTE - Bridge Over Troubled Water

1. What is the purpose of the "FINAL VOTE - Bridge Over Troubled Water" project?

The purpose of the "FINAL VOTE - Bridge Over Troubled Water" project is to study the impact of human activities on the environment, specifically on water quality and bridge infrastructure.

2. How is the data collected for this project?

The data for this project is collected through various methods such as water sampling, bridge inspections, and satellite imagery analysis.

3. What is the expected outcome of this project?

The expected outcome of this project is to identify potential sources of water pollution and determine the structural integrity of bridges in the study area. This information can then be used to develop strategies for improving water quality and maintaining safe infrastructure.

4. Who is funding this project?

This project is funded by a combination of government grants, private organizations, and academic institutions.

5. What are the potential benefits of this project?

The potential benefits of this project include improved understanding of human impacts on the environment, more effective management of water resources, and safer infrastructure for communities. This information can also inform policy decisions and lead to more sustainable practices in the future.