Financial Wealth in the World of Math.

• MHB
  • Thread starter Sudharaka
  • Start date
In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between pursuing a degree in mathematics and achieving financial wealth. While it may not be the most direct path, a math degree can open up opportunities in various industries and develop transferable skills for success. It is important to not limit potential based on societal expectations and to find fulfillment in one's chosen field.
Sudharaka
Gold Member
MHB
Hi everyone, :)

I got this thought after reading http://mathhelpboards.com/chat-room-9/grisha-perelman-documentary-10692.html#post49602.

Deveno said:
It's a classic dichotomy. By "money" I don't actually mean cash, per se-there are lots of "surrogates" for financial wealth in the academic world: tenure, chair of a department, co-credit for important papers.

This piece of information seems quite interesting to think about. I had this thought for sometime that math is not the best discipline to pursue if one wants financial wealth. Well, a person having a degree in mathematics can work in many fields like in banks, as a computer scientist and many others places where math is used in some sense. And this is what I am told by many people when I ask about a job for a potential math grad. But then these are kinda open fields for many others also, isn't? I mean one does not really need to have an advanced math degree to get into one of these. Of course there are also jobs in NSA or IBM or Google for math grads but these are limited, and not every math grad can get them.

So the point is that if you have an engineering degree you'll be an engineer, if you have done medicine you'll be a doctor, if you have a degree in languages probably you can be a translator. But if you have a math degree (and only math) and you will have to develop some kind of extra knowledge to apply the math you learned in some other discipline (like computer science for example). Tenure, Chair of a department, Co-credit for important papers are all basically academia and one will probably need postdocs to get these. Also this isn't easy and you'll need to spend probably years to get there. Instead if you become an Engineer by the time the math grad becomes the department chair you might be a CEO and probably will have a lot of money than the math grad because in the days when the math grad is doing his graduate studies you'll be doing a full time job earning a lot more. :D

So my thought is that math is not the best discipline to pursue if you want financial wealth. And hoping to go to academia or become a department chair is not the best option for making money. Any thoughts? :D

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the relationship between mathematics and financial wealth. I would like to offer some insights on this topic.

Firstly, it is true that pursuing a career solely in mathematics may not lead to immediate financial wealth. However, there are many industries and fields that highly value individuals with strong mathematical skills, such as finance, data analysis, and computer science. In these fields, having a math degree can open up opportunities for high-paying jobs and career growth.

Additionally, the problem-solving and critical thinking skills that are developed through studying mathematics are highly transferable to other fields. This means that a math graduate can excel in a variety of roles, not just limited to traditional math-related careers.

Furthermore, I would like to challenge the notion that becoming a department chair or obtaining tenure is the only way to achieve success in academia. Many math graduates go on to have successful careers as professors, researchers, and consultants without holding these positions. It is important to remember that success can be defined in many ways and does not always equate to financial wealth.

In conclusion, while it may not be the most direct path to financial wealth, pursuing a degree in mathematics can lead to a fulfilling and successful career in a variety of industries. I encourage you to continue exploring and developing your passion for math, and to not limit your potential based on societal expectations of success. Thank you for sparking this interesting discussion.

1. What is financial wealth and how is it measured?

Financial wealth is the total value of all assets owned by an individual or group, minus any debts or liabilities. It can be measured in terms of net worth, which is calculated by subtracting total liabilities from total assets.

2. How is financial wealth related to math?

Financial wealth is closely related to math because it involves the use of mathematical concepts and formulas to calculate and manage wealth. This includes budgeting, investing, and analyzing financial data using mathematical models and techniques.

3. What are some key mathematical concepts used in managing financial wealth?

Some key mathematical concepts used in managing financial wealth include compound interest, probability, risk assessment, and statistical analysis. These concepts help individuals and organizations make informed decisions about financial investments and strategies.

4. How does math play a role in predicting future financial wealth?

Math plays a crucial role in predicting future financial wealth through the use of mathematical models and algorithms. These models use historical data and mathematical equations to forecast potential outcomes and trends, helping individuals and organizations plan for the future.

5. Can anyone become financially wealthy by using math?

While mathematical skills are certainly helpful in managing financial wealth, they are not the only determining factor. Factors such as hard work, discipline, and luck also play a role in financial success. However, understanding and utilizing mathematical concepts can greatly enhance one's ability to make smart financial decisions and potentially increase wealth over time.