Find all numbers x which satisfy the following inequality

In summary, an inequality is a mathematical statement that compares two quantities using symbols such as <, >, ≤, or ≥. Finding all numbers x means determining all possible values of x that satisfy the given inequality by solving it and listing all possible solutions. The process of solving an inequality is similar to solving an equation, but with the additional step of reversing the inequality symbol when multiplying or dividing by a negative number. A number satisfies an inequality if it makes the statement true when substituted into the inequality. It is important to find all numbers x that satisfy an inequality because it provides a complete understanding of the problem and allows for a thorough analysis of the problem.
r0bHadz

Homework Statement

(1/x) + (1/(1-x)) > 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1+x-x/(x-x^2) > 0
1/(x-x^2) > 0
x-x^2 > 0
x> x^2 only occurs when 0<x<1

but in the solutions Spivak tells me

"x>1 or 0<x<1"

Physics news on Phys.org
And if you try it for some ##x>1## you see that Spivak may well be right. Where do you suspect the flaw in your reasoning ?

Oops: [Edit] needed: if you try it for some ##x>1## you see that Spivak may well be wrong

(Provided you gave a truthful rendering of the problem statement and the corresponding solution !)

By the way: some brackets needed here ! :
r0bHadz said:
1+x-x/(x-x^2) > 0

Last edited:
Likes r0bHadz
r0bHadz said:

Homework Statement

(1/x) + (1/(1-x)) > 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1+x-x/(x-x^2) > 0
1/(x-x^2) > 0
x-x^2 > 0
x> x^2 only occurs when 0<x<1

"x>1 or 0<x<1"

When you write 1+x-x/(x-x^2) > 0 you are saying
$$1+x-\frac{x}{x-x^2} > 0,$$
which is wrong. If you mean to say that
$$\frac{1+x-x}{x-x^2} > 0$$ then you need to use parentheses, like this: (1+x-x)/(x-x^2) > 0.

The problem statement represents a quite easy problem. I can't see what connection there is between the problem statement in the first line and the calculation you do. Start again- it is just straightforward combination of fractions into one and then the answer is almost obvious.

epenguin said:
The problem statement represents a quite easy problem. I can't see what connection there is between the problem statement in the first line and the calculation you do. Start again- it is just straightforward combination of fractions into one and then the answer is almost obvious.

I don't understand how he got x>1 from the problem statement

r0bHadz said:
I don't understand how he got x>1 from the problem statement
He got it by making a mistake; your answer is the correct one.

Likes BvU
epenguin said:
The problem statement represents a quite easy problem. I can't see what connection there is between the problem statement in the first line and the calculation you do.
He omitted some necessary parenthesis and should have shown some intermediate steps.

@r0bHadz , you should get in a habit of doing calculations in small, very safe, steps and using parenthesis whenever there is ambiguity. Do not try to do too much in your head. The calculations will go much easier and more reliably.:
1/x + 1/(1-x) = (1-x)/(x(1-x)) + x/(x(1-x)) = (1-x+x)/(x(1-x)) = 1/(x(1-x))

PS. It is very common for me to see beginners trying to do more in their head than I do. And I have a PhD in math.

Likes BvU
r0bHadz said:

"x>1 or 0<x<1"
That is the solution for something like ##\ \displaystyle \frac 1 x + \frac 1 {|1-x|} > 0 \,.##

Likes FactChecker
Ah I see, the calculation is simple but Spivak's x>1 is a mistake.

epenguin said:
Ah I see, the calculation is simple but Spivak's x>1 is a mistake.
Or, as @SammyS points out, some absolute value signs may have been misprinted / misinterpreted as parentheses.

What is an inequality?

An inequality is a mathematical statement that compares two quantities using symbols such as <, >, ≤, or ≥. It indicates that one quantity is greater than, less than, or equal to another quantity.

What does it mean to "find all numbers x"?

Finding all numbers x means determining all possible values of x that satisfy the given inequality. This involves solving the inequality and listing all possible solutions.

How do I solve an inequality?

The process of solving an inequality is similar to solving an equation. You need to isolate the variable on one side of the inequality symbol and simplify the other side. However, remember to reverse the inequality symbol when multiplying or dividing by a negative number.

What does it mean to "satisfy" an inequality?

A number satisfies an inequality if it makes the statement true when substituted into the inequality. This means that when the number is plugged in for the variable, the inequality remains true.

Why is it important to find all numbers x that satisfy an inequality?

Finding all numbers x that satisfy an inequality is important because it gives a complete understanding of the possible solutions to the problem. It also allows for a thorough analysis of the problem and helps to identify any patterns or relationships between the numbers.