Find all orthogonal matrices in R

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of defining the set of all orthogonal matrices. The definition of an orthogonal matrix is provided, along with a formula for finding the set of orthogonal matrices in ##\mathbb{R}##. However, it is acknowledged that the task may be too simplistic and there may be other considerations to take into account. The conversation ends with a discussion about the precise wording of the problem and the impossibility of finding a matrix in ##\mathbb{R}##.
nuuskur
Science Advisor

Homework Statement

Assuming I understand the problem correctly, I need to define the set of all orthogonal matrices.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Per the definition of orthogonal matrix: Matrix ##A\in Mat_n(\mathbb{R})## is orthogonal if ##A^tA = I##
If ##O## is the set of all orthogonal matrices in ##\mathbb{R}## then:
[tex]O = \bigcup_{k=2}^n \{X\in Mat_k(\mathbb{R})\ |\ \ X^tX = I \}[/tex]
I don't see anything wrong with this set, but it seems too naive. Can it be this simple?

Physics news on Phys.org
What, exactly, do you mean by "find" the set of all orthogonal matrices? What you have written is, essentially, just that "the set of all orthogonal matrices is the set of all matrices satisfying the definition of orthogonal matrix".

What was the precise wording of the problem? If it was, say, "find the set of all 2 by 2 orthogonal matrices" then you would want a relation to be satisfied by a, b, c, and d, such that [itex]\begin{bmatrix}a & b \\ c & d \end{bmatrix}[/itex] is an orthogonal matrix.

HallsofIvy said:
What, exactly, do you mean by "find" the set of all orthogonal matrices?

I agree, it's impossible to find a matrix on ##\mathbb{R}##.

I very much agree, but that is how the problem is worded word for word.

1. What is an orthogonal matrix?

An orthogonal matrix is a square matrix in which all the rows and columns are orthogonal to each other. This means that the dot product of any two rows or columns is equal to 0. Orthogonal matrices are also known as orthonormal matrices, as they have unit length vectors in all directions.

2. How can I determine if a matrix is orthogonal?

To determine if a matrix is orthogonal, you can perform a simple test by multiplying the matrix by its transpose. If the resulting matrix is equal to the identity matrix, then the original matrix is orthogonal. Another way is to check if all the rows and columns are orthogonal to each other.

3. What is the significance of orthogonal matrices in mathematics?

Orthogonal matrices are important in many areas of mathematics, including linear algebra, geometry, and physics. They have many useful properties, such as preserving distances and angles, and can be used to simplify calculations in various mathematical problems.

4. How can I find all orthogonal matrices in R using a computer program?

There are several methods for finding orthogonal matrices in R using a computer program. One approach is to use the Gram-Schmidt process, which is an algorithm for finding an orthonormal basis for a given set of vectors. Another method is to use the Singular Value Decomposition (SVD) technique, which can be used to decompose a matrix into orthogonal and diagonal components.

5. Can all matrices in R be converted into orthogonal matrices?

No, not all matrices in R can be converted into orthogonal matrices. Only square matrices can be orthogonal, and they must also have a determinant of either 1 or -1. Additionally, matrices with complex numbers cannot be orthogonal, as the dot product is only defined for real numbers.