Find all prime numbers that divide 50

In summary, the proof provided shows that all primes equal to or less than 47 divide 50!, as each prime less than 50 is a factor of 50!. The Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic is used to prove that all non-prime terms of 50! have a unique prime factorization, and since 48, 49, and 50 are not primes, it follows that all primes equal to or less than 47 divide 50!. Further justification is needed to prove that there are no prime factors larger than 50 in 50!, but it can be shown using the definition of factorial and the fundamental theorem of arithmetic that all factors of 50! are primes less than 50.
Math100
Homework Statement
Find all prime numbers that divide 50!.
Relevant Equations
None.
Proof:

Note that all primes less than 50 will divide 50!,
because each prime is a term of 50!.
Applying the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic produces:
Each term k of 50! that is non-prime has a unique prime factorization.
Since 48, 49 and 50 are not primes,
it follows that all primes ##\leq47## divide 50!.
Therefore, all primes ##\leq47## divide 50!.

Physics news on Phys.org
##50!## is so large, why can't there be prime factors above ##50##?

I haven't thought about that.

Math100 said:
I haven't thought about that.
In my opinion there aren't any prime numbers larger than 50 that divide 50! but you need to provide a justification for that.

The fundamental theorem of arithmetic and the definition of factorial will aid you towards that.

Last edited:
Math100 said:
because each prime is a term of 50!.
Technically, a term is an expression that is part of a sum. I think what you meant was each prime less than 50 is a factor of 50! .

Delta2 said:
In my opinion there aren't any prime numbers larger than 50 that divide 50! but you need to provide a justification for that.

The fundamental theorem of arithmetic and the definition of factorial will aid you towards that.
So is my proof correct or not? Do I need to revise anything?

Math100 said:
So is my proof correct or not? Do I need to revise anything?
It is correct as all primes less than 48 divide 50!. But you need to prove, too, that no other prime divides 50!.

Think about the definition: A prime is a number that divides already at least one factor if it divides a product.

Likes Delta2 and Math100
By definition, factorial of a number is the function ## n!=(n-1)! ## that
multiplies the number by every natural number below it.
Note that all primes less than ## 50 ## will divide ## 50! ##,
because each prime less than 50 is a factor of ## 50! ##.
Applying the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic produces:
Each term k of ## 50! ## that is non-prime has a unique prime factorization.
Since 48, 49 and 50 are not primes,
it follows that all primes ##\leq47## divide ## 50! ##.
Therefore, all primes ##\leq47## divide ## 50! ##.

• Wow
Likes Delta2
Math100 said:
By definition, factorial of a number is the function ## n!=(n-1)! ##
No on two counts: 1) n! = n * (n - 1)!, and 2) what you've written is not a function.

Likes Math100
Can you prove, using the fundamental theorem of arithmetic, that 50! can be written as a product of primes that are less than 50 (ok less than 48 to be more precise). Then according to the fundamental theorem again this prime factorization is the only factorization , hence 50! does not contain primes larger than 50.

You have prove it actually using your proof, you just don't state it explicitly.

## n!=n\times(n-1)\times\dotsb\times1 ##

Math100 said:
Each term k of 50! that is non-prime has a unique prime factorization.
This statement of yours has actually an implication that proves what we want.

Delta2 said:
This statement of yours has actually an implication that proves what we want.
What should be the implication after this statement then?

Math100 said:
What should be the implication after this statement then?
That the number x=50! has a unique prime factorization where all primes present are smaller than 50.

Likes PeroK
Delta2 said:
That the number x=50! has a unique prime factorization where all primes present are smaller than 50.
A prime factorization means that ALL of the factors are primes. Are all of the factors in 50! primes?

phinds said:
Are all of the factors in 50! primes?
No but I didn't say that. I said that in the unique prime factorization of 50! all primes are smaller than 50.

Delta2 said:
No but I didn't say that. I said that in the unique prime factorization of 50! all primes are smaller than 50.
But what I am saying is that 50! does not HAVE a "prime factorization" because it cannot be expressed as a multiple of only primes.

phinds said:
But what I am saying is that 50! does not HAVE a "prime factorization" because it cannot be expressed as a multiple of only primes.
It can't be, then the fundamental theorem of number theory is wrong, we know that every natural number can be expressed as a multiple of only primes.

Delta2 said:
It can't be, then the fundamental theorem of number theory is wrong, we know that every natural number can be expressed as a multiple of only primes.
Oh, I get it. The non-prime factors all have prime factorizations. My bad.

Likes Delta2
phinds said:
For a simpler example than 50!,
##6! = 2 * 3 * 4 * 5 * 6 = 2 * 3 * 2^2 * 5 * 2 * 3 = 2^4 * 3^2 * 5##
We can express any natural number as a product of primes or primes raised to powers. The representation is unique up to the order in which the factors appear. For the reason that @Delta2 gave, 6! couldn't possibly have any prime factors larger than 6.

Likes phinds and Delta2
phinds said:
Yes that's right. So every one of the fifty factors of 50! can be expressed as a product of primes that each is smaller than 50 (because the factor itself is smaller than 50) and the whole thing is a prime factorization of 50! , hence it is the unique prime factorization according to the fundamental theorem.

Last edited:
Likes phinds
phinds said:
The trick is that for each prime ##p## less than 50 we have:

One factor for every multiple of ##p##; another factor for every multiple of ##p^2##; another for every multiple of ##p^3## etc. E.g. for ##p = 2## the total number of factors in ##50!## is:

##25 + 12 + 6 + 3 + 1 = 47##

And:$$50! = 2^{47} \times 3^{22} \times 5^{12} \times 7^8 \times 11^4 \times 13^3 \times 17^2 \times 19^2 \times 23^2 \times 29 \times 31 \times 37 \times 41 \times 43 \times 47$$And, in particular, the last ##12## digits of ##50!## are all zeroes! You get this by looking at the powers of ##5## (as there are always more powers of ##2##).

Likes Delta2 and phinds
One can also simply work with the definition of a prime, no fundamental theorem of arithmetics is necessary.
\begin{align*}
p\,|\,50!=50\cdot 49! &\Longrightarrow p\,|\,50 \text{ or } p\,|\,49!\\
p\,|\,49!=49\cdot 48! &\Longrightarrow p\,|\,49 \text{ or } p\,|\,48!\\
&\ldots\\
p\,|\,2!=2\cdot 1! &\Longrightarrow p\,|\,2 \text{ or } p\,|\,1!
\end{align*}
Thus ##p\,|\,50! \Longrightarrow p\,|\,50\text{ or }p\,|\,49\text{ or }\ldots p\,|\,2.##

Likes Math100 and Delta2

1. What are prime numbers?

Prime numbers are positive integers that are only divisible by 1 and themselves. They have exactly two factors, making them unique compared to other numbers.

2. How do you find all prime numbers that divide 50?

To find all prime numbers that divide 50, we can use a method called prime factorization. This involves breaking down 50 into its prime factors, which are 2 and 5. Therefore, the prime numbers that divide 50 are 2 and 5.

3. Is 1 a prime number?

No, 1 is not considered a prime number because it only has one factor (1) and does not meet the criteria of having exactly two factors.

4. Can any number divide 50 evenly?

Yes, any number can divide 50 evenly. However, for a number to be considered a prime number that divides 50, it must have exactly two factors and be a positive integer.

5. What is the largest prime number that can divide 50?

The largest prime number that can divide 50 is 5, as it is the largest prime factor of 50. Any other numbers that divide 50, such as 10 or 25, are not considered prime numbers.