Find angle of polarizing sheet given original & transmitted intensity

In summary, a beam of polarized light is transmitted through two polarizing sheets at angles θ and 90°. The intensity of the beam after the second sheet is 0.10 of the original intensity. To find θ, the intensities are equated and solved for θ, resulting in two possible solutions: 70.38° and 109.62°. This is due to the fact that the inverse trig function can have multiple valid answers. The correct answer of 20° can be obtained by considering cos x = cos -x.
MrMoose

Homework Statement

A beam of polarized light is sent through a system of two polarizing sheets. Relative to the polarization direction of that incident light, the polarizing directions of the sheets are at angles θ for the first sheet and 90° for the second sheet. If 0.10 of the incident intensity is transmitted by the two sheets, what is θ?

Homework Equations

I1 = Io /2

I2 = I1 * cos^2(θ)

The Attempt at a Solution

The intensity of the beam after the first polarizing sheet is as follows:

I1 = Io /2

The intensity of the beam after the second polarizing sheet is as follows:

I2 = I1 * cos^2(θ)

Where θ is the angle difference between θ1 and θ2.

The problem tells you that the transmitted beam is 0.10 of the original beam:

I2 = 0.10 * Io

Substituting with the equations above:

I2 = 0.10 * Io = (Io/2) * cos^2(θ) and therefore:

0.10 = cos^2(θ)/2

Solving for θ:

θ =arccos([itex]\sqrt{0.2}[/itex])= 63°

Which means the angle of the first polarizing sheet is 63° out from 90° so the answer I get is:

27° or 153°

But this isn't correct according to the back of the book. Please help. Thanks in advance, MrMoose

Physics news on Phys.org
MrMoose said:
I1 = Io /2
That would be true if the original beam were unpolarized, but it isn't.

Thank you! I read that question over so many times and missed that part every time. I think I got it now:

I1 = Io*cos^2(θ1)

I2 = I1*cos^2(θ2)

Where θ2 = 90 - θ1

We also know that I2 = 0.10 * Io, therefore:

I2 = 0.1 * Io = Io * cos^2(θ1) * cos^2(90-θ1)

Io cancels out and you have:

0.1 = cos^2(θ1) * cos^2(90-θ1) = (cos(θ1) * cos(90-θ1))^2

Had to look up how to combine cosine functions for this next part:

2*Sqrt(0.1) = cos(2*θ1- 90) + cos(90)

Solving for θ1

θ1 = (arccos(2*sqrt(0.1)) + 90) / 2

θ1 = 70.38° which is one of the correct answers.

My final question is this: The book also says that 20° is correct. How do they get this solution?

MrMoose said:
My final question is this: The book also says that 20° is correct. How do they get this solution?
Whenever you execute an inverse trig function you need to be aware that there may be multiple valid answers. In this case, consider that cos x = cos -x.

Great, Thanks Haruspex.

So when I consider the following:

θ1 = (arccos(-2*sqrt(0.1)) + 90) / 2

I get θ1 = 109.62° , which is also 19.62° off the normal. That wraps it up!

1. How do you measure the original and transmitted intensity of light?

The original intensity of light can be measured using a light meter or a photometer. The transmitted intensity can be measured by placing a light sensor behind the polarizing sheet and recording the intensity of light that passes through.

2. What is the equation for calculating the angle of a polarizing sheet?

The equation for calculating the angle of a polarizing sheet is: θ = arccos(√(It/Io)), where θ is the angle of the polarizing sheet, It is the transmitted intensity, and Io is the original intensity.

3. Can the original and transmitted intensity be measured using any type of light source?

No, the original and transmitted intensity can only be accurately measured using a monochromatic light source, such as a laser, to ensure that the light is polarized in a single direction.

4. How does the angle of a polarizing sheet affect the intensity of light?

The angle of a polarizing sheet determines the amount of light that is transmitted through it. When the angle is 0°, the sheet allows all of the light to pass through, resulting in a maximum intensity. As the angle increases, the amount of light that can pass through decreases, resulting in a decrease in intensity.

5. Can the angle of a polarizing sheet be adjusted to change the intensity of light?

Yes, the angle of a polarizing sheet can be adjusted to control the intensity of light. By changing the angle, the amount of light that can pass through the sheet can be increased or decreased. This is useful in applications such as photography and polarized sunglasses.