Does light intensity change with two polarizing sheets?

It would depend on the angle relative to the polarization axis of the sheet. In summary, the conversation discusses the effect of two polarizing sheets on the intensity of unpolarized light. The first sheet is expected to have no effect on the intensity, while the second sheet would greatly reduce it depending on the angle relative to its polarization axis. The relevant equation for intensity is I=(Imax)cos^2(Θ).
jdroidxw

Homework Statement

Unpolarized light of intensity Io is incident on two polarizing sheets whose axes are perpendicular.
A) what is the intensity of the light after the first sheet?
B) what is the intensity of the light after the second sheet?

Homework Equations

I=(Imax)cos^2(Θ)

The Attempt at a Solution

A) I thought the intensity would not change since you need two polarizing sheets at certain angles to change the intensity.

B) Intensity is 0? If I plug 90° into the relevant equation, I=0 since cosine at 90 degrees is zero.

Would I be correct in my steps?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, two linear polarizers tilted at 90 degrees relative to each other will absolutely (or nearly absolutely) block all light from reaching the observer at the other end.

Okay thank you! And what about the one sheet? Would I be correct in saying that it would not have any effect regardless of the angle?

There would be some reduction in intensity with one polarizer.

I would say that your steps are correct. The intensity of light does not change when passing through a single polarizing sheet. However, when two polarizing sheets are placed with their axes perpendicular to each other, the intensity of light passing through will be reduced to zero. This is because the second polarizing sheet blocks all the remaining polarized light from the first sheet, resulting in a complete blockage of light. This phenomenon is known as crossed polarization and is commonly used in polarizing filters in photography and other applications.

What is polarization of light?

Polarization of light refers to the orientation of the electric field vector in an electromagnetic wave. It is a phenomenon that occurs when light waves are restricted to vibrate in a single plane.

How does light become polarized?

Light can become polarized through various processes such as reflection, refraction, scattering, and transmission through certain materials. These processes can align the electric field vector of the light wave in a specific direction, resulting in polarization.

What are the types of polarization?

The two main types of polarization are linear polarization and circular polarization. Linear polarization occurs when the electric field vector of the light wave is restricted to vibrate in a single plane. Circular polarization occurs when the electric field vector rotates in a circular motion as the light wave travels.

Why is polarization important?

Polarization has many important applications in various fields such as optics, telecommunications, and astronomy. It allows for the manipulation and control of light waves, which is essential in technologies such as 3D glasses, polarized sunglasses, and optical filters.

How is polarization measured?

Polarization is measured using a polarimeter, which is a device that can analyze the orientation of the electric field vector in a light wave. It typically uses polarizing filters to determine the degree and angle of polarization of the light.