Find Ansatz for this ODE (3.5.15)

• MHB
  • Thread starter ognik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, the speaker is trying to find the particular solution for a given equation, but is having trouble and suspects there may be a typo in the book. The expert suggests that the problem may not have a solution expressible in elementary functions and asks for confirmation about the correctness of the problem.
ognik
Hi - I'm given: $ y'' + y' - 2y = \frac{e^{x}}{x} $

What is a good Ansatz to find the particular solution? I've tried a few that haven't worked...Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
ognik said:
Hi - I'm given: $ y'' + y' - 2y = \frac{e^{x}}{x} $

What is a good Ansatz to find the particular solution? I've tried a few that haven't worked...Thanks

According to W|A, the particular solution is not expressible in terms of elementary functions. Are you certain you have the problem copied correctly?

Copied OK, probably typo in book - if the driving function was just $e^x$ it would be more sensible

Related to Find Ansatz for this ODE (3.5.15)

1. What is an Ansatz for an ODE?

An Ansatz is an educated guess or proposed solution to a differential equation, typically used when an analytical solution is difficult or impossible to find. It involves assuming a functional form for the solution and then using this form to determine the unknown parameters of the equation.

2. Why is finding an Ansatz important for solving an ODE?

Finding an Ansatz can greatly simplify the process of solving a differential equation, especially when it is not possible to find an analytical solution. It allows for the use of numerical methods to approximate the solution or for the application of other techniques such as separation of variables or variation of parameters.

3. How do I know if my chosen Ansatz is correct?

There is no definitive way to determine if an Ansatz is correct, but there are some guidelines you can follow. Your Ansatz should satisfy the original differential equation and its initial or boundary conditions. It should also be able to produce a solution that is physically meaningful and consistent with the problem at hand.

4. What are some common types of Ansatz used for solving ODEs?

Some common types of Ansatz include polynomial, exponential, trigonometric, and power series solutions. However, the type of Ansatz used will depend on the specific form of the differential equation and the problem being solved.

5. What are some tips for finding an appropriate Ansatz for a given ODE?

Some tips for finding an appropriate Ansatz include examining the form and structure of the differential equation, considering the initial or boundary conditions, and drawing on knowledge of common types of solutions for similar equations. It may also be helpful to try different Ansatz forms and see which one leads to a solution that satisfies the equation and conditions.