Transition Matrix of T

In summary: Transformation on the other hand suggests a change of space from one vector space to another.A transition matrix is a linear map from one vector space to another, typically a change of basis.A transformation matrix is also a linear map but it is more general. It could be a change of basis, but it could also be a projection, rotation, reflection, dilation, etc., or a combination of these. A transformation matrix does not have to be invertible, but a change of basis matrix must be invertible.So a transition matrix is a special type of transformation matrix.
SetepenSeth

Homework Statement

Find the transition matrix ##P## of a transformation defined as
##T:ℝ_2→ℝ_3##
##T:\begin{bmatrix}a\\b\end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}a+2b\\-a\\b\end{bmatrix}##

For basis

##B=\begin{bmatrix}1\\2\end{bmatrix},\begin{bmatrix}3\\-1\end{bmatrix}##

##C=\begin{bmatrix}1\\0\\0\end{bmatrix},\begin{bmatrix}1\\1\\0\end{bmatrix},\begin{bmatrix}1\\1\\1\end{bmatrix}##

Verify this matrix by calculating ##Pv## and comparing the result with the actual transformation ##T(v)## for

##v=\begin{bmatrix}-7\\7\end{bmatrix}_B##

Homework Equations

##[x]_C=P_C←_B[x]_B##

The Attempt at a Solution

When applying ##T## the results shows

##T(v)=\begin{bmatrix}7\\7\\7\end{bmatrix}##

However, my attempts to find the transition matrix ##P## have been unsuccessful, apparently my struggle is with the fact that ##ℝ_2## maps to ##ℝ_3##, therefore the transition matrix ##P## has to be ##3x2##, thus non invertible, so I can't find it through its inverse, I attempted separating the transformation into its components like

##T(v)= a \begin{bmatrix}1\\-1\\0\end{bmatrix} + b\begin{bmatrix}2\\0\\1\end{bmatrix}##

Or ##T(B_1), T(B_2) ##

##T(B_1)= \begin{bmatrix}5\\-1\\2\end{bmatrix}##
##T(B_2)= \begin{bmatrix}1\\-3\\-1\end{bmatrix}##

But neither ## \begin{bmatrix}1&2\\-1&0\\0&1\end{bmatrix}## nor ##\begin{bmatrix}5&1\\-1&-3\\2&-1\end{bmatrix}## are the same as on my answer key therefore I believe my approach to this matrix is flawed.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
SetepenSeth said:

Homework Statement

Find the transition matrix ##P## of a transformation defined as
##T:ℝ_2→ℝ_3##
##T:\begin{bmatrix}a\\b\end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}a+2b\\-a\\b\end{bmatrix}##

For basis

##B=\begin{bmatrix}1\\2\end{bmatrix},\begin{bmatrix}3\\-1\end{bmatrix}##

##C=\begin{bmatrix}1\\0\\0\end{bmatrix},\begin{bmatrix}1\\1\\0\end{bmatrix},\begin{bmatrix}1\\1\\1\end{bmatrix}##

Verify this matrix by calculating ##Pv## and comparing the result with the actual transformation ##T(v)## for

##v=\begin{bmatrix}-7\\7\end{bmatrix}_B##

Homework Equations

##[x]_C=P_C←_B[x]_B##

The Attempt at a Solution

When applying ##T## the results shows

##T(v)=\begin{bmatrix}7\\7\\7\end{bmatrix}##

However, my attempts to find the transition matrix ##P## have been unsuccessful, apparently my struggle is with the fact that ##ℝ_2## maps to ##ℝ_3##, therefore the transition matrix ##P## has to be ##3x2##, thus non invertible, so I can't find it through its inverse, I attempted separating the transformation into its components like

##T(v)= a \begin{bmatrix}1\\-1\\0\end{bmatrix} + b\begin{bmatrix}2\\0\\1\end{bmatrix}##

Or ##T(B_1), T(B_2) ##

##T(B_1)= \begin{bmatrix}5\\-1\\2\end{bmatrix}##
##T(B_2)= \begin{bmatrix}1\\-3\\-1\end{bmatrix}##

But neither ## \begin{bmatrix}1&2\\-1&0\\0&1\end{bmatrix}## nor ##\begin{bmatrix}5&1\\-1&-3\\2&-1\end{bmatrix}## are the same as on my answer key therefore I believe my approach to this matrix is flawed.

Any advise would be appreciated.
Usually transition matrix is between different spaces for the same vector space. How are you defining it?

Likes SetepenSeth
I agree with WWGD that normally "transition matrix" means a mapping from and to the same vector space. Putting that aside...

I did not follow your method. I would write B as (b1, b2) etc. then see how to write ##\begin{bmatrix}a\\b\end{bmatrix}## as a linear combination of the vectors b1, b2. Similarly, how to write ##\begin{bmatrix}a+2b\\-a\\b\end{bmatrix}## in terms of the ci basis vectors.

Likes SetepenSeth
haruspex said:
I agree with WWGD that normally "transition matrix" means a mapping from and to the same vector space. Putting that aside...

I did not follow your method. I would write B as (b1, b2) etc. then see how to write ##\begin{bmatrix}a\\b\end{bmatrix}## as a linear combination of the vectors b1, b2. Similarly, how to write ##\begin{bmatrix}a+2b\\-a\\b\end{bmatrix}## in terms of the ci basis vectors.

Thank you both.

Indeed my problem is that I was missing the step to write the vectors in terms of Ci basis.

However I've found I have a conceptual mistake in my question. Apparently, a transition matrix is completely different from a matrix associated to a transformation, and it was the later the one I was looking for. How different are these two?

Last edited:
SetepenSeth said:
a transition matrix is completely different from a matrix associated to a transformation
Transition suggests a change of state within a system. In a vector space context that would mean a transition from one state vector to another state vector within the same space.

1. What is a transition matrix?

A transition matrix is a mathematical tool used to represent the probabilities of transitioning between different states in a system. It is often used in fields such as statistics, economics, and engineering to model and analyze complex systems.

2. How is a transition matrix calculated?

A transition matrix is calculated by organizing the probabilities of moving from one state to another into a matrix format. The sum of each row in the matrix must equal 1, representing all possible outcomes. The resulting matrix can then be used to make predictions and analyze the behavior of the system.

3. What is the importance of a transition matrix?

A transition matrix allows for the analysis and prediction of the behavior of a system by quantifying the probabilities of transitioning between different states. It is a valuable tool for understanding complex systems and can be used to make informed decisions and strategies.

4. How is a transition matrix used in real-world applications?

A transition matrix has a wide range of applications in various fields, such as finance, biology, and sociology. For example, it can be used to analyze stock market trends, model population growth and migration, and study the spread of diseases.

5. Are there any limitations to using a transition matrix?

While a transition matrix can be a powerful tool for analyzing systems, it also has its limitations. It assumes that the probabilities of transitioning between states remain constant over time, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, it may not account for external factors that can influence the behavior of the system.