Find C in general sine function

In summary, if you have a graph of y=asinbx+d and you substitute x by x-c, c will show up as the displacement of the graph to the right by c units.
Endorser
Hello All,

I am just wondering how to find c in the sine function (y=asinb(x-c)+d).

I understand wat the values mean and how to find a b and d but c i am not to sure how to find unless there is a already given graph.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
c is the horizontal displacement of the graph: it shifts the graph of a sin(bx) + d to the right by c units.

I understand [...] how to find a b and d but c i am not to sure how to find unless there is a already given graph.
I don't quite get that. You cannot get a, b and d without a given graph either, or you need some other information to find them but then you can usually also find c...

CompuChip said:
I don't quite get that. You cannot get a, b and d without a given graph either, or you need some other information to find them but then you can usually also find c...

I will give you an example of what i mean, check attachments below

Attachments

• Example.png
    Example.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 2,888
The value of c is hidden in the sentence "high tide is at midnight".
If the c weren't there (or would be 0) then the maximum of the sine would be at [itex]b x = \pi / 4[/itex].
Replacing x by (x - c) shifts it horizontally, such that you can put the maximum at t = 0 (if that would be midnight).

CompuChip said:
If the c weren't there (or would be 0) then the maximum of the sine would be at [itex]b x = \pi / 4[/itex].
Replacing x by (x - c) shifts it horizontally, such that you can put the maximum at t = 0 (if that would be midnight).

ahh so in this case i must place the highest tide at midnight and then find point d to find c
I am still confused because if u graph y=asinbx+d which is water your saying to do then find c but the graph of y=asinb(x-c)+d (provided that a b and d are constant) the graph is different

Related to Find C in general sine function

What is the general sine function?

The general sine function is a mathematical equation of the form y = A*sin(Bx + C) + D, where A, B, C, and D are constants. It represents a periodic function that oscillates between a maximum and minimum value.

How do you find the value of C in a general sine function?

To find the value of C, you need to have the coordinates of at least two points on the graph of the sine function. Then, you can use the formula C = (2π/B) - x, where x is the x-coordinate of one of the points.

What is the significance of C in a general sine function?

C represents the horizontal shift of the graph of the sine function. It determines where the graph starts on the x-axis and affects the position of the maximum and minimum values.

How does changing the value of C affect the graph of a general sine function?

Changing the value of C shifts the graph horizontally to the left or right. If C is positive, the graph will shift to the left, and if C is negative, the graph will shift to the right.

Can the value of C be negative?

Yes, the value of C can be negative. A negative value of C means that the graph is shifted to the right, while a positive value of C means that the graph is shifted to the left.