Find Center of Mass of Thin Plate w/ y^2=4Ax & x=A

In summary, you integrate ksqrt(4Ax)dx from -A to A to get M, and integrate k(xtilda)*(ksqrt(4Ax))dx from -A to A to get My. Finally, you integrate k(ytilda)*(ksqrt(4Ax)dx from -A to A to get Mx.
Punkyc7
Suppose that A is a positive constant. Find the center of mass of a thin plate covering the region bounded by y^2= 4Ax and the line x=A. Assume that mass density at (x,y) is proportional to x.

y=sqrt(4Ax)

K is what I am saying is proportional to x

xbar=My/m
ybar=MX/m

Im not concerned with the answers of xbar and ybar, just the concept of setting up the integrals.

For M we integrate ksqrt(4Ax) dx from -A to A

for My we intgrate k(xtilda)*(ksqrt(4Ax)) dx from -A to A, xtilda=x

for Mx we integrate k(ytilda)*(ksqrt(4Ax) dx from -A to A, ytilda= (ksqrt(4Ax)-ksqrt(4Ax))/2

I just want to make sure I am doing this right. Also I am not sure if the second k term should be included in My and Mx

Physics news on Phys.org
Both the integrand and the limits on your integrals are incorrect. Did you sketch the region?

Explain how you derived your integral for M so we can see where your mistakes are.

The limits should be from 0 to A, multiplied by two because of symmetry

M is the integral of the dA * rho

Right. So you now have

[tex]M = \int_0^A \rho 2\sqrt{4Ax}\,dx[/tex]

What do you want to plug in for the density ρ?

so since rho is proportional to x you would let rho =kx
and another thing, how do you do the math symbols?

Check the following thread for links about LaTeX.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=386951

You can also click on a typeset formula to see the code used to generate it.So you're pretty much set for M and [itex]\bar{x}[/itex]. The one for [itex]\bar{y}[/itex] is a little more complicated, though you may be able to just say what the answer should be.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the formula for finding the center of mass of a thin plate with y^2=4Ax & x=A?

The formula for finding the center of mass of a thin plate with y^2=4Ax & x=A is given by (A,4A/3).

2. How do you calculate the center of mass of a thin plate with y^2=4Ax & x=A?

To calculate the center of mass of a thin plate with y^2=4Ax & x=A, you can use the formula (A,4A/3) or follow the steps of finding the x-coordinate and y-coordinate separately and then combining them to get the final result.

3. Can the center of mass of a thin plate with y^2=4Ax & x=A be located outside of the plate?

No, the center of mass of a thin plate with y^2=4Ax & x=A will always be located within the boundaries of the plate. This is because the formula for the center of mass takes into consideration the dimensions and shape of the plate, so it will always be a point within the plate.

4. How does the value of A affect the center of mass of a thin plate with y^2=4Ax & x=A?

The value of A affects the center of mass of a thin plate with y^2=4Ax & x=A by determining the position of the center of mass along the x-axis. As the value of A increases, the center of mass will move towards the right of the plate, and as it decreases, the center of mass will move towards the left.

5. Can the center of mass of a thin plate with y^2=4Ax & x=A be located at the origin?

Yes, it is possible for the center of mass of a thin plate with y^2=4Ax & x=A to be located at the origin (0,0). This would occur when the value of A is 0, meaning that the plate is a point and its center of mass is also at that point.