Find closest possible points between lines? (vectors)? Edit

So differentiate ##E(s,t)## wrt s and t, set to 0 and solve for s and t.In summary, to find the points P and Q that are closest possible with P lying on the line x=8+1t y=8+1t z=7−3t and Q lying on the line x=231−6t y=−10−17t z=71−13t, we can minimize the distance function D(s,t) between points on the two lines using calculus methods. Alternatively, we can minimize the squared distance function E(s,t) to avoid the use of square roots.
mathlabrat

Homework Statement

[/B]
Find points P,Q which are closest possible with P lying on the line

x=8+1t
y=8+1t
z=7−3t

and Q lying on the line
x=231−6t
y=−10−17t
z=71−13t

3. Attempt at solution

Hi,
I am at loss as to how to do this.

I know that from the equations I can get point (8,8,7) and direction vector (1,1,-3) for the first line and similar for the second line. Then I found the normal to both lines as the shortest distance points should form a perpendicular.

I don't know how to proceed from there.

Any help will be appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
mathlabrat said:

Homework Statement

[/B]

x=8+1t
y=8+1t
z=7−3t

and Q lying on the line
x=231−6t
y=−10−17t
z=71−13t

3. Attempt at solution

Hi,

I know that from the equations I can get point (8,8,7) and direction vector (1,1,-3) for the first line and similar for the second line. Then I found the normal to both lines as the shortest distance points should form a perpendicular.

Welcome to PF!

If you have found the normal of both lines (what did you get?) you can write the equation of the plane defined by this normal and the first line e. The second line f have to intersect that plane at point Q. The normal drawn from this point intersects the first line at P.
distancelines.jpg

Last edited:
mathlabrat said:

Homework Statement

[/B]

x=8+1t
y=8+1t
z=7−3t

and Q lying on the line
x=231−6t
y=−10−17t
z=71−13t

3. Attempt at solution

Hi,

If line L1 is ##x_1 = 8+t, y_1 = 8 + t, z_1 = 7 - 3t## and line L2 is ##x_2 = 231 - 6s, y_2 = -10 - 17 s, z_2 = 71 - 13 s## we can let
[tex] D(s,t) = \sqrt{(x_1-x_2)^2 + (y_1 - y_2)^2 + (z_1 - z_2)^2} [/tex]
be the distance between points ##(x_1,y_2,z_1)## on L1 and ##(x_2,y_2,z_2)## on L2. We can minimize ##D(s,t)## using standard calculus methods. Even easier, we can solve the equivalent problem of minimizing ##E(s,t) = D(s,t)^2##, which does not have a ##\sqrt{\;\;}## in it.

1. What is the purpose of finding the closest possible points between lines?

The purpose of finding the closest possible points between lines is to determine the shortest distance between two lines in space. This can be useful in various applications such as computer graphics, robotics, and physics.

2. How is the distance between two lines calculated?

The distance between two lines is calculated by finding the shortest distance between any two points on the two lines. This is done by finding the perpendicular distance between the lines, which can be determined using vector math.

3. What are the steps involved in finding the closest possible points between lines?

The steps involved in finding the closest possible points between lines include:

• 1. Finding the direction vectors of the two lines
  • 2. Setting up a system of equations to find the shortest distance between the lines
  • 3. Solving the system of equations to find the coordinates of the closest points on the lines

4. Is it possible for two lines to not have any closest points?

Yes, it is possible for two lines to not have any closest points. This occurs when the lines are parallel and do not intersect, meaning there is no shortest distance between them.

5. Can the closest points between lines be found if they are not in the same plane?

Yes, the closest points between lines can still be found even if they are not in the same plane. This is because the shortest distance between two lines is independent of the planes they are in.