Find Coefficient of Friction: Force of Friction Homework

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the coefficient of friction for different surfaces using the given information of mass, acceleration, and time. The equation F=ma is mentioned as a way to find the force, and a suggestion is made to look up the μ values in a table unless there is additional information provided. The conversation also mentions using a law that relates force, mass, and acceleration to solve the problem.
JJtheJetPlane

Homework Statement

Mass: .034kg
Acceleration: -.3644
Time:2.744sec
Inital Velocity: 1m/s
The path is on a flat surface

Homework Equations

Ff=mu(Fn)
F=m*a

The Attempt at a Solution

I need help find the coefficient of friction. I'm trying to find the difference of mu between oil, water, and a dry surface, and I lack Ff, or I do not know how to find it without mu. Is there anyway to find the solution. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless you were given varying information for each case, you'd need to look those μ values up in a table

JJtheJetPlane said:
I need help find the coefficient of friction. I'm trying to find the difference of mu between oil, water, and a dry surface, and I lack Ff, or I do not know how to find it without mu. Is there anyway to find the solution. Thank you

You know the mass and the acceleration.
What/who's law relates Force, mass and acceleration?

1. What is coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a unitless value that represents the level of resistance between two surfaces in contact. It is a measure of how difficult it is to slide one surface over another.

2. How is coefficient of friction calculated?

Coefficient of friction is calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force between two surfaces. The normal force is the force that is perpendicular to the surface of contact.

3. Why is it important to find the coefficient of friction?

It is important to find the coefficient of friction because it can help determine the level of resistance or slipperiness between two surfaces. This information is useful in fields such as engineering, physics, and materials science.

4. What factors can affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by factors such as the types of materials in contact, the roughness or smoothness of the surfaces, the presence of any lubricants or contaminants, and the temperature of the surfaces.

5. How can I use the coefficient of friction to solve for the force of friction?

To solve for the force of friction, you can multiply the coefficient of friction by the normal force between two surfaces. This will give you the amount of force needed to overcome the resistance between the surfaces and cause them to move or slide against each other.