Find Convolution Product of f*g on P_4 given f,g

In summary, the convolution product f*g for the functions f and g on P_{4} is given by (f*g)[n]=f[0]\cdot g[n]+f[1]\cdot g[n-1]+f[2]\cdot g[n-2]+f[3]\cdot g[n-3]. When plugging in values for n=0,1,2,3, we get the corresponding values for f and g and can calculate the convolution product. However, for n=1, we encounter an issue with g[-1], which corresponds to g[3] on P_{4}.
BustedBreaks
I need to find the convolution product f*g when the functions f, g on [tex]P_{4}[/tex] are given by:

(a) f:=(1,2,3,4), g:=(1,0,0,0)
(b) f:=(1,2,3,4), g:=(0,0,1,0)

I know that [tex](f*g)[n]=f[0]\cdot g[n]+f[1]\cdot g[n-1]+f[2]\cdot g[n-2]+...+f[N-1]\cdot g[n-(N-1)][/tex]

and

[tex]\sum_{m=0}^{N-1}f[m]g[n-m] [/tex] when f, g, and f*g are functions on [tex]P_{N}[/tex]

I need to find (f*g)[n] for n =0,1,2,3. when I plug in 0 for n in the sum above, I get f[0]g[0] which is fine. f[0] and g[0] both correspond to 1 considering what is given in (a). However, when I plug 1 into the sum above, I get f[1]g[-1] . f[1] corresponds to 2 from (a) but I don't know what g[-1] corresponds to. Am I doing this right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wait, on [tex]P_{4}[/tex] does g[-1]=g[3]?

Related to Find Convolution Product of f*g on P_4 given f,g

1. What is a convolution product?

A convolution product is a mathematical operation that combines two functions to create a new function. It is often used in signal processing and image processing to analyze the relationship between two signals or images.

2. How is the convolution product of f*g calculated?

The convolution product of f*g is calculated by multiplying the two functions together, shifting one of the functions by a certain amount, and then integrating the product over the range of the shifted function. This process is repeated for different amounts of shift and the results are added together to create the final convolution product.

3. What is P_4 in the context of finding the convolution product?

In this context, P_4 refers to the set of polynomials with degree less than or equal to 4. This means that both f and g are polynomials with degree less than or equal to 4.

4. Can the convolution product be calculated for any two functions?

Yes, the convolution product can be calculated for any two functions as long as the integral required for the calculation exists. However, the process may be more complex for certain functions and may require advanced mathematical techniques.

5. What is the significance of finding the convolution product of f*g?

The convolution product of f*g provides information about the relationship between the two functions. It can be used to determine properties such as symmetry, periodicity, and smoothness. It is also used in various applications such as filtering, deconvolution, and pattern recognition.