Find Energy of Antinode & Node in Standing Wave of Time Period T

• Thread starter varunika
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nodes
In summary: No, the potential energy at the anti-node is always zero and the kinetic energy at the node is always zero. The energy flips back and forth between Kinetic and Potential as it bounces back and forth between the anti-node and the node.So you would connect the time variable with the energy variable by using the equation v=λf and f=1/T.
varunika
a standing wave of time period T is set up in a string clamped between two rigid supports. at t=0 antinode is at its maximum diaplacement 2A. at what time will the energy of antinode be equal to that of a node?

what i know is...
that node has zero amplitude..n antinode has maximum amplitude. and that the maximum potential energy= 1/2*ρ*ω2A2. which also equals the kinetic energy..
moreover it can be seen that the amplitude of the given wave is 2A.
T=2∏/ω.
but i am unable to relate the above information in order to solve the given query.
please tell me how can i find the energy of an antinode and a node?

i am very weak in physics... please guide me through it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume by 'energy' of a point on the string the question means the sum of KE and PE at that point.
What form does the PE take in a vibrating string? How will that be distributed along the string?

energy of a point on a string= 1/2Δmvy2 + 1/2Δmω2y2 (where y is the amplitude of that point)
so this means at a node total energy woul become equal to 1/2Δmvy2 since y=0 and the total energy at the anti node would become equal to 1/2Δmvy2 + 1/2Δmω2(2A)2.

am i right about this?

and if so... how do i get to know the velocity at the node and antinode? and how do i relate this to the timepriod of the wave?

is the velocity of an anti node zero?

moreover value of ω is also not given..

please please guide me more..

The velocity at the nodes is zero since they don't move. The formula you provided for the energy looks right but it isn't.

dauto said:
The velocity at the nodes is zero since they don't move. The formula you provided for the energy looks right but it isn't.

then how do i find the formula? i searched it all over.. and even thought as much as i could... but i am getting nowhere :cry:

Your expression for the kinetic energy is correct but the expression for the potential energy isn't. The potential energy is given by the stretching of the spring, not by its displacement.

it is proportional to the square of the derivative of the wave function (dy/dx)2

dauto said:
Your expression for the kinetic energy is correct but the expression for the potential energy isn't. The potential energy is given by the stretching of the spring, not by its displacement.

it is proportional to the square of the derivative of the wave function (dy/dx)2

sir... but the following link says exactly what i said: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/waves/powstr.html (please refer to the section: "energy in a string wave" of this link)

varunika said:
sir... but the following link says exactly what i said: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/waves/powstr.html (please refer to the section: "energy in a string wave" of this link)

That page is wrong, unfortunately. The final result for the total energy propagation is correct (for a traveling harmonic wave), but the details of the derivation are not.

so according to you.. the potential energy should be equal to 1/2Δmω2(dy/dx)2 ??

dauto said:
The velocity at the nodes is zero since they don't move.

this means the total energy at the node is zero.. am i right?

varunika said:
so according to you.. the potential energy should be equal to 1/2Δmω2(dy/dx)2 ??

Almost, but not quite. It's given by

ΔW = (1/2) Δm v2 (dy/dx)2

where v is the wave speed.

dauto said:
The velocity at the nodes is zero since they don't move.
this means energy at a node is zero. am i right?

varunika said:
this means energy at a node is zero. am i right?

No, the potential energy at the anti-node is always zero and the kinetic energy at the node is always zero. The energy flips back and forth between Kinetic and Potential as it bounces back and forth between the anti-node and the node.

so... back to the asked question..
in the query.. we have to find the time wen energy at node=energy at anti node.
KE of node = PE of anti node
∴ i/2Δmv2 = 1/2ΔmV(dy/dx)2
v=√T/μ
would i be wrong if i relate this in the equation... since we must need to relate the timeperiod with energy?

dauto said:
No, the potential energy at the anti-node is always zero and the kinetic energy at the node is always zero. The energy flips back and forth between Kinetic and Potential as it bounces back and forth between the anti-node and the node.

∴ 1/2Δmv2 = 1/2ΔmV(dy/dx)2
v=λf and f=1/T
∴ v=λ/T
would i be wrong if i relate this in the equation... since we must need to relate the timeperiod with energy?
and my other doubt is... that equation of wave is not given... so how to find dy/dx and λ?

varunika said:
∴ 1/2Δmv2 = 1/2ΔmV(dy/dx)2
v=λf and f=1/T
∴ v=λ/T
and my other doubt is... that equation of wave is not given... so how to find dy/dx and λ?

The formula for a standing wave is just the product of two sinusoidal functions.

y = A sin(kx + δ) sin(ωt + ø),

Where δ and ø are just phases

well... i seem to be going no where towards solving my question :(

What is a standing wave?

A standing wave is a type of wave where the individual particles of the medium do not move along with the wave, but rather oscillate in place. This causes areas of high and low amplitude, known as antinodes and nodes, to form.

What is an antinode and a node?

An antinode is a point in a standing wave where the amplitude is at its maximum. It is characterized by the particles of the medium moving with the highest displacement. A node, on the other hand, is a point where the amplitude is at its minimum, and the particles of the medium do not move at all.

How do you find the energy of an antinode and a node in a standing wave?

The energy of an antinode in a standing wave is directly proportional to the amplitude of the wave. This means that the higher the amplitude at the antinode, the more energy it contains. On the other hand, the energy at a node is zero, as there is no displacement or movement of the particles at that point.

What is the relationship between time period and standing waves?

The time period, denoted by T, is the time it takes for one complete wave cycle to occur. In a standing wave, the time period is related to the wavelength and the speed of the wave according to the equation T = λ/v, where λ is the wavelength and v is the speed of the wave.

How does the energy of antinodes and nodes change with time period?

The energy of antinodes and nodes in a standing wave remains constant regardless of the time period. However, the number of antinodes and nodes present in the wave may vary depending on the time period and the length of the medium in which the wave is traveling.