Find ##\frac{dh}{dt}## in the problem involving related change.

• Thread starter chwala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Change
In summary, the steps to solving the problem are clear and the author makes use of implicit differentiation.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
See attached
Relevant Equations
Related change- differentiation.
Find the problem here with solution. My interest is on part (a) only.
1656942385703.png
Solution;

1656942543621.png

1656942579508.png

The steps to solution are very much clear...the author made use of implicit differentiation. Now, would i be right to have;

##\dfrac{dV}{dt}=\dfrac{dV}{dh}\cdot \dfrac{dh}{dt}+ \dfrac{dV}{dr}\cdot \dfrac{dr}{dt}##

##-2=\dfrac{1}{3}π×\left[\dfrac{5}{14} h\right]^2\dfrac{dh}{dt}+\dfrac{2}{3}π ×\left[\dfrac{5}{14} h\right]h\dfrac{dr}{dt}##

We know that ##r=\dfrac{5}{14} h,## therefore ##\dfrac{dr}{dt}=\dfrac{5}{14}\dfrac{dh}{dt}##

##-2=\dfrac{1}{3}π×4.5918\dfrac{dh}{dt}+\dfrac{2}{3}π×12.857×\left[\dfrac{5}{14} h\right]h\dfrac{dr}{dt}##

##-2=4.8084\dfrac{dh}{dt}+9.6170\dfrac{dh}{dt}##

##-2=14.4254 \dfrac{dh}{dt}##

##\dfrac{dh}{dt}=-0.1386##

Your thoughts...i hope i did not just go round and round on the implicit approach...but hey that's how i think on this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:
The steps to solution are very much clear...the author made use of implicit differentiation. Now, would i be right to have;
##\dfrac{dv}{dt}=\dfrac{dv}{dh}\cdot \dfrac{dh}{dt}+ \dfrac{dv}{dr}\cdot \dfrac{dr}{dt}##
##-2=\dfrac{1}{3}π\cdot \left[\dfrac{5}{14} h\right]^2⋅\dfrac{dh}{dt}+\dfrac{2}{3}π\cdot \left[\dfrac{5}{14} h\right]⋅h⋅\dfrac{dr}{dt}##
Certainly volume V is a function of both r and h, but due to the fact that every vertical cross-section of the cone is a triangle, it's much more convenient (and a lot easier) to treat r as a linear function of h (or vice versa), which makes V a function of a single variable.

Later edit: Another problem with your approach is that you're given neither dr/dt nor dh/dt. In what I described in the previous paragraph, the text you quoted actually gives the linear relationship between h and r; namely, ##r = \frac 5{14}h##. By replacing r in the equation for V for the cone, V can be written as a function of h alone.

Nits:
  • Your total derivative above, ##\dfrac{dv}{dt}## should be written in terms of the partial derivatives of volume with respect to r and h respectively. That is, in terms of ##\frac{\partial V}{\partial r}## and ##\frac{\partial V}{\partial h}##, not as ordinary derivatives.
  • Stylewise, V is traditionally used for volume while v (lowercase) is used for velocity.

Last edited:
Likes chwala
Hey @Mark44 ...i've been busy marking scripts as an Examiner. Hope all well...

Last edited:

What is "Find ##\frac{dh}{dt}##" and why is it important in problems involving related change?

##\frac{dh}{dt}## is the derivative of the function h with respect to time. It represents the rate of change of h over time, which is important in problems involving related change because it helps us understand how one variable is changing in relation to another.

How do you find ##\frac{dh}{dt}## in a problem involving related change?

To find ##\frac{dh}{dt}##, you need to first identify the function h and the variable it is changing with respect to (usually time). Then, you can use the rules of differentiation to find the derivative of h with respect to that variable. This will give you the value of ##\frac{dh}{dt}## at a specific point in time.

What does a positive or negative value of ##\frac{dh}{dt}## indicate in a problem involving related change?

A positive value of ##\frac{dh}{dt}## indicates that the function h is increasing with respect to time, while a negative value indicates that h is decreasing. This can help us understand the direction and magnitude of change in h over time.

Can you use the chain rule to find ##\frac{dh}{dt}## in a problem involving related change?

Yes, the chain rule can be used to find ##\frac{dh}{dt}## in a problem involving related change. This is especially useful when h is a composite function, meaning it is made up of multiple functions nested within each other.

How can you interpret the units of ##\frac{dh}{dt}## in a problem involving related change?

The units of ##\frac{dh}{dt}## will depend on the units of h and the variable it is changing with respect to. For example, if h represents distance and t represents time, then the units of ##\frac{dh}{dt}## would be distance per time (e.g. meters per second). This can help us understand the rate of change in real-world terms.