Find Heat Energy Needed to Expand Gas to Triple Volume

In summary, in order to triple the volume of 0.40 mol of oxygen gas at constant pressure and starting at 0 degrees C, 6.426 kJ of energy must be added to the gas as heat. This was found using the equations pV=nRT, p1V1/T1=p2V2/T2, and Q=mcdT, with the given value of Cp for oxygen. A mistake in the conversion factor for molar mass was corrected to arrive at the correct answer of 6.426 kJ.
Munir M

Homework Statement

When 0.40 mol of oxygen(O2) gas is heated at constant pressure starting at 0 degrees C, how much energy must be added to the gas as heat to triple its volume? (The molecules rotate but do not oscillate)

Homework Equations

pV=nRT
p1V1/T1=p2V2/T2
Q=mcdT
Value of Cp for Oxygen I used is 0.919 kJ/kg K

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the equation pV=nRT to get the value of pV at 273K which was pV=907.5. I tripled that value to get 2722.5. Then, using p1V1/T1=p2V2/T2, I plugged in the values to get the final temperature(819K). From that I used Q=mcdT which gave me the answer of 3211kJ. The answer in the back was 6.4 kJ.

Physics news on Phys.org
You must have missed a conversion factor somewhere, your temperatures are correct. For an isobaric process and constant heat capacity:
[tex]Q= \Delta H = m C_P \Delta T[/tex]
[tex]Q = 0.4 \ mol \left(0.032 \frac{kg}{mol} \right) \left( 0.919 \frac{kJ}{kg \cdot K} \right) (819.45 \ K - 273.15 \ K) = 6.426 \ kJ[/tex]

MexChemE said:
You must have missed a conversion factor somewhere, your temperatures are correct. For an isobaric process and constant heat capacity:
[tex]Q= \Delta H = m C_P \Delta T[/tex]
[tex]Q = 0.4 \ mol \left(0.032 \frac{kg}{mol} \right) \left( 0.919 \frac{kJ}{kg \cdot K} \right) (819.45 \ K - 273.15 \ K) = 6.426 \ kJ[/tex]

My mistake was using gmol-1 instead of kgmol-1 for the molar mass. Thanks!

1. What is the formula for finding the heat energy needed to expand a gas to triple its volume?

The formula for finding the heat energy needed to expand a gas to triple its volume is Q = nRT(ln 3), where Q is the heat energy, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

2. How do you calculate the number of moles of gas when given the volume and pressure?

The number of moles of gas can be calculated using the ideal gas law, n = PV/RT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

3. Is the gas constant different for each type of gas?

No, the gas constant (R) is the same for all gases and has a value of 8.314 J/mol*K.

4. Can the temperature of the gas affect the amount of heat energy needed for expansion?

Yes, the temperature of the gas has a direct effect on the amount of heat energy needed for expansion. As temperature increases, the amount of heat energy needed also increases.

5. How is the heat energy needed for expansion related to the work done by the gas?

The heat energy needed for expansion is equal to the work done by the gas. This is known as the first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or converted from one form to another.