Find inflection points of polynomials.

In summary: I have been for the last 12 hours. I am having trouble with what comes after it. But I'll go review my algebra. Thank you both for nothing.
Orson

Homework Statement

Find critical points and inflection points of:
1/[x(x-1)]

Homework Equations

1/[x(x-1)]

The Attempt at a Solution

using quotient rule, we obtain
(0-(2x-1)/(x^2-x)^2
set -2x+1=0 we get 1/2 for critical point.

for second derivative,
i get -2(x^2-x)^2-(-2x+1)4x(x^2-x)(2x-1)
the -(-2x+1) gives two terms of (2x-1) but i have no idea how to factor out both the (x^2-x) and the( 2x-1) and have only terms remaining that are joined by multiplication.

Physics news on Phys.org
Factor out (x^2-x), and then just multiply out everything else and see what you get. You'll see another factor to take out later.

mfb said:
Factor out (x^2-x), and then just multiply out everything else and see what you get. You'll see another factor to take out later.
i don't know what to do with the extra (2x-1)

Orson said:
also that -2, can that move in front of the derivative?

I get left with
-2(x^2-x)(x^2-x)+2x-1(4x+1)

Orson said:
Multiply out everything.
Orson said:
-2(x^2-x)(x^2-x)+2x-1(4x+1)
It looks like you made more than one error. It would help to see the steps.

mfb said:
Multiply out everything.It looks like you made more than one error. It would help to see the steps.
I'll start again.

Ok first step in factoring out (x^2-x) I get

-2(x^2-x)(x^2-x)+(2x-1)(4x)(2x-1)

Should I have canceled the second (x^2-x) because of the denominator ?

Orson said:
That doesn't have (x2-x) factored out. Otherwise it would look like (x2-x)(something)

mfb said:
That doesn't have (x2-x) factored out. Otherwise it would look like (x2-x)(something)
Are you saying get rid of the -2

Orson said:
Ok first step in factoring out (x^2-x) I get

Should I have canceled the second (x^2-x) because of the denominator ?

(x^2-x)(x^2-x)+(2x-1)(4x)(2x-1)(-2)

(x^2+x)(x^2+x) +(2x-1)(4x)(2x-1)(-2)
= (x^2+x)(x^2+x)+ -8x(4x^2-4x+1)
=(x^2+x)(x^2+x)+ -32x^3-32x^2-8x

Last edited:
It should look like (x2-x)(something). In other words, (x2-x) multiplied by something is the full expression. As long as it doesn't look like that, you didn't factor out (x2-x) properly.

mfb said:
It should look like (x2-x)(something). In other words, (x2-x) multiplied by something is the full expression. As long as it doesn't look like that, you didn't factor out (x2-x) properly.
Can you help me see where it's wrong ?

Orson said:
Should the parenthesis come off the second factor ? So the values are included with the rest ?

Orson said:
I don't understand what is unclear.

##-2(x^2-x)^2-(-2x+1)4x(x^2-x)(2x-1) = (x^2-x)(something)## - find "something"

mfb said:
I don't understand what is unclear.

##-2(x^2-x)^2-(-2x+1)4x(x^2-x)(2x-1) = (x^2-x)(something)## - find "something"
I am having trouble finding the something. Is that clear?

Perhaps you need to review your algebra. You are having the same problem factoring that we discussed in your earlier post. You are factoring out ##(x^2 - x)## and the "something" that goes in the other parentheses is what is left. You did it before after some prompting and hopefully you can do it again.

LCKurtz said:
Perhaps you need to review your algebra. You are having the same problem factoring that we discussed in your earlier post. You are factoring out ##(x^2 - x)## and the "something" that goes in the other parentheses is what is left. You did it before after some prompting and hopefully you can do it again.
i am quite aware that the (x^2-x) comes out. I have been for the last 12 hours. I am having trouble with what comes after it. But I'll go review my algebra. Thank you both for nothing.

1. How do you find inflection points of polynomials?

To find the inflection points of a polynomial, you need to take the second derivative of the polynomial and set it equal to zero. Then, solve for the x values to find the potential inflection points. Finally, plug these x values back into the original polynomial to find the corresponding y values.

2. What is the significance of inflection points in polynomials?

Inflection points mark the points where the concavity of the polynomial changes. This can indicate important changes in the behavior of the polynomial's graph, such as when the graph shifts from being concave up to concave down or vice versa.

3. Can a polynomial have more than one inflection point?

Yes, a polynomial can have multiple inflection points. The number of inflection points depends on the degree of the polynomial and the complexity of its terms.

4. Do all polynomials have inflection points?

No, not all polynomials have inflection points. For example, a linear polynomial (degree 1) will not have any inflection points, while a quadratic polynomial (degree 2) can have at most one inflection point.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for finding inflection points of polynomials?

There are some shortcuts for finding inflection points of certain types of polynomials, such as using the quadratic formula to find the inflection point of a quadratic polynomial. However, in general, finding inflection points requires taking the second derivative and solving for the x values, so there is no universal shortcut for all polynomials.