Solve the problem that involves partial fractions

In summary: In this case, since x = 1 makes the first term on the right vanish, and x = -1 makes the second term vanish, the equation becomes ##\frac {1}{1-x}+\frac {-2}{1+x}+\frac {2}{(1+x)^2}=0##. So, A = 1, B = -2, and C = 0.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Given that; $$y=\frac {1+3x^2}{(1+x)^2(1-x)}$$

i. express ##y## in partial fractions.
ii. expand ##y## as a series in ascending powers of ##x##, giving the first three terms.
Relevant Equations
partial fractions and binomial theorem
Let $$y=\frac {1+3x^2}{(1+x)^2(1-x)}= \frac {A}{1-x}+\frac {B}{1+x}+\frac {C}{(1+x)^2}$$
$$⇒1+3x^2=A(1+x)^2+B(1-x^2)+C(1-x)$$
$$⇒A-B=3$$
$$2A-C=0$$
$$A+B+C=1$$
On solving the simultaneous equations, we get ##A=1##, ##B=-2## and ##C=2##
therefore we shall have,
$$y=\frac {1}{1-x}+\frac {-2}{1+x}+\frac {2}{(1+x)^2}$$
$$y=2(1+x)^{-2} +(1-x)^{-1} -2(1+x)^{-1}$$
Now on using binomial theorem we shall get;
$$y=2(1-2x+3x^2+...)+(1+x+x^2+...)+ -2(1-x+x^2+...)$$
$$y=(6x^2-4x+2...)+(x^2+x+1+...)+(-2x^2+2x-2+...)$$
$$y=1-x+5x^2+...$$ Bingo, any other variation would be appreciated guys!:cool:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:
Am still posting..., i like sharing my approach and further explore other available ways of solving from members...i hope this is allowed in the forum...if not then do advise me...
OK, looks better now.

Likes chwala
Here's a shorter version that uses a different technique.
$$\frac {1+3x^2}{(1+x)^2(1-x)} = \frac {A}{1-x}+\frac {B}{1+x}+\frac {C}{(1+x)^2}$$
$$⇒1+3x^2=A(1+x)^2+B(1-x^2)+C(1-x)$$
If x = 1, then 4 = 4A, so A =1
If x = -1, then 4 = 1(0) + B(0) + C(2), so C = 2
If x = 0, then 1 = 1(1) + B(1) + 2(1), so B = -2
Summarizing, A = 1, B = -2, C = 2

The technique you (@chwala) used equates the coefficients of the polynomials on either side of the equation. The technique I used relies on the fact that the equation ##\frac {1+3x^2}{(1+x)^2(1-x)} = \frac {A}{1-x}+\frac {B}{1+x}+\frac {C}{(1+x)^2}## is identically true: it must be true for all values of x. What I did was to pick values of x that made some of the terms on the right side vanish.

Likes DaveE and chwala

1. What are partial fractions and why are they used?

Partial fractions are a mathematical technique used to break down a complex rational expression into simpler fractions. They are often used in integration and solving differential equations.

2. How do you identify when a problem involves partial fractions?

A problem involving partial fractions will typically have a rational expression with a polynomial in the numerator and denominator, where the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator.

3. What is the process for solving a problem involving partial fractions?

The process for solving a problem involving partial fractions involves breaking down the rational expression into simpler fractions, finding the unknown coefficients, and then combining the fractions back together to form the original expression.

4. What are the common methods used to find the unknown coefficients in partial fractions?

The common methods used to find the unknown coefficients in partial fractions are the method of undetermined coefficients and the method of equating coefficients. These methods involve setting up equations using the given expression and solving for the unknown coefficients.

5. Are there any tips for simplifying the process of solving problems involving partial fractions?

One tip for simplifying the process of solving problems involving partial fractions is to factor the denominator of the rational expression before breaking it down into simpler fractions. This can help to reduce the number of unknown coefficients and make the process easier.