Find points of inflection from f''(x) = 12x + 18? A bit confused

In summary, the conversation is about finding the points of inflection of a given function and the confusion over why the question asks for "points" instead of "point." The expert explains that the wording is simply a way of testing the understanding of the concept and that there could be either one or multiple inflection points.

Homework Statement

In my book it specifically asks to "find the points of inflection" of f (x) = 2x^3 + 9x^2 - 24x - 10.

Homework Equations

f (x) = 2x^3 + 9x^2 - 24x - 10
f'(x) = 6x^2 + 18x - 24
f''(x) = 12x + 18.

The Attempt at a Solution

What I don't get is why it asks for pointS. Isn't there just a single point here? Or can you get them not only by using the second derivative?

I.e., set f"x = 0. Yet here only one point does that, not multiple ones? :S Could it be just a typo in the book?

Physics news on Phys.org
939 said:

Homework Statement

In my book it specifically asks to "find the points of inflection" of f (x) = 2x^3 + 9x^2 - 24x - 10.

Homework Equations

f'(x) = 6x^2 + 18x - 24
f''(x) = 12x + 18.

What I don't get is why it asks for pointS.
They are just asking the question in a general way, to include the possibility of multiple inflection points.
939 said:
Isn't there just a single point here? Or can you get them not only by using the second derivative?

I.e., set f"x = 0. Yet here only one point does that, not multiple ones? :S Could it be just a typo in the book?

Mark44 said:
They are just asking the question in a general way, to include the possibility of multiple inflection points.

That's what I was thinking, but why wouldn't they write point(s) or point/points then? :mad:. But yea you simply have to be right, I don't see how it's possible to find two from that...

You're blowing a really minor thing way out of proportion. When they say "find the points of inflection ..." the possibilities are

*no such points
*one point
*two or more points

You should find something else to worry about.

Mark44 said:
You're blowing a really minor thing way out of proportion. When they say "find the points of inflection ..." the possibilities are

*no such points
*one point
*two or more points

You should find something else to worry about.

:blushing:

939 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

f'(x) = 6x^2 + 18x - 24
f''(x) = 12x + 18.

What I don't get is why it asks for pointS. Isn't there just a single point here? Or can you get them not only by using the second derivative?

I think the wording is their way of testing you. If they said inflection "point" that would be giving you a hint that there is only one. By saying "points" they are making you think about it.

RGV

Related to Find points of inflection from f''(x) = 12x + 18? A bit confused

1. What is an inflection point?

An inflection point is a point on a curve where the concavity changes. This means that the curve changes from being concave up to concave down, or vice versa.

2. How do you find the points of inflection from f''(x) = 12x + 18?

To find the points of inflection from f''(x) = 12x + 18, you first need to find the second derivative of the original function. Then, set the second derivative equal to zero and solve for x. The resulting values of x are the points of inflection.

3. Can a function have more than one point of inflection?

Yes, a function can have multiple points of inflection. This occurs when the concavity changes more than once on the curve.

4. How can I graph a function and identify its points of inflection?

To graph a function and identify its points of inflection, you can use a graphing calculator or software. Simply input the function and look for points where the concavity changes. These points will be the points of inflection.

5. Is it possible for a function to have no points of inflection?

Yes, it is possible for a function to have no points of inflection. This would occur if the concavity of the function remains constant throughout the entire curve.