Find potential between 2 conc. cyl. with grounded strip

In summary, the problem involves finding the potential \Phi(r,\phi) for two concentric cylinders with given potentials \phi_1 and \phi_2, with a grounded strip along the z-direction. The solution must satisfy the Laplace equation in polar coordinates and the boundary conditions at r=a and r=b. An ansatz is used to find the solution, but it may be incorrect as it does not account for the strip being situated between the cylinders. Further considerations need to be made, such as allowing ##n## to be a non-integer and exploring different scenarios for the positioning of the strip.
vemarli

Homework Statement

Two concentric cylinders with radii a & b (b>a) with an infinitely long grounded strip along the z-direction are given potentials [tex]\phi_1[/tex] and [tex]\phi_2[/tex].

Find [tex]\Phi(r,\phi)[/tex] for a<r<b

Boundary conditions:
[tex]\Phi(r,2n\pi)=0[/tex]
[tex]\Phi(a,\phi)=\phi_1[/tex]
[tex]\Phi(b,\phi)=\phi_2
[/tex]

Homework Equations

The laplace equation in polar coordinates (as the solution is independent of z)
[tex]
\Delta^2\Phi=0[/tex]
Ansatz:
[tex]\Phi=R(r)Q(\phi)[/tex],
compute
[tex]\frac{r^2}{R(r)Q(\phi)}\Delta^2(R(r)Q(\phi))=0[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{r}\frac{d}{dr}(r\frac{dR}{dr})+\frac{1}{Q(\phi)}\frac{dQ(\phi}{d\phi^2}=0[/tex]

Assume that the first term equals n^2, which means that the second one equals -n^2
-> Solutions: (n=0):
[tex]R(r)=a_0 +b_0ln(r);[/tex]
[tex]Q(\phi)=A_0+B_0\phi[/tex]

and (n>1):
[tex]R(r)=a_nr^n +b_nr^{-n};[/tex]
[tex]Q(\phi)=A_ncos(n\phi)+B_nsin(n\phi) [/tex]

[tex]\Phi(r,\phi)=(a_0 +b_0ln(r))(A_0+B_0\phi)+\sum_{n=1}^\infty(a_nr^n +b_nr^{-n})(A_ncos(n\phi)+B_nsin(n\phi))[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
From the boundary conditions we see that the solution needs to be periodic in [tex]\phi=2n\pi; n=0,1,...[/tex] which leads to

[tex]A_n=A_0=B_0=0[/tex]
This gives the solution:
[tex]\Phi(r,\phi)=\sum_{n=1}^\infty(a_nr^n +b_nr^{-n})sin(n\phi)[/tex]
Where I have now put B_n coefficients into a_n and b_n.
Now I need to satisfy
[tex]\Phi(a,\phi)=\phi_1[/tex]
[tex]\Phi(b,\phi)=\phi_2[/tex]

[tex]\Phi(a,\phi)=\sum_{n=1}^\infty(a_na^n +b_na^{-n})sin(n\phi)=\phi_1[/tex]
[tex]\Phi(a,\phi)=\sum_{n=1}^\infty(a_nb^n +b_nb^{-n})sin(n\phi)=\phi_2[/tex]

The problem with this is that I would say that the solutions need to be symmetric for phi = [0,pi] and phi = [0,-pi] i.e. The solution should be mirrored in these two domains Phi(r,phi)=Phi(r,-phi), and thus it would be sufficient to solve the boundary conditions only in one of these domains. But only having sinus functions would lead to a discontinuity at phi=plusminus pi... which makes me question the legitimity of this solution.

Furthermore I don't know how to satisfy the boundary conditions on r=a,b; I guess that if I assume phi_1>phi_2 then a_n=0, likewise, phi_1<phi_2 gives b_n=0 and phi_1=phi_2 gives R(r) = constant.

But, to satisfy the finite constant potentials at r=a,b means that we can not have sin(n\phi) solutions i.e. n=0 Which also means that we can't satisfy the fact that the strip is grounded (Phi=0).

So all in all I would assume that the ansatz is wrong... can anyone give a helping hand??

Physics news on Phys.org
Obviously, if I may comment, the strip is situated at a<r<b and thus not in contact with the two cylinders (which would otherwise mean that they would all be equipotential and grounded). I wonder if the solution is a combination of two cases, r=a,b and a<r<b? What if I made the strip such that it was between a+d<r<b-d and then let d->0 (but never reach d=0?). Or is the ansatz simply wrong?

Consider whether or not the boundary conditions can be satisfied with ##n## not being an integer.

1. What is the purpose of finding the potential between two concentric cylinders with a grounded strip?

The purpose of finding the potential between two concentric cylinders with a grounded strip is to determine the electric field and potential distribution between the two cylinders. This information can be used to understand the behavior of charged particles and to design electrical systems.

2. How is the potential calculated between the two cylinders with a grounded strip?

The potential is calculated using the Laplace equation, which relates the potential to the electric field. The boundary conditions, such as the grounded strip, are also taken into account in the calculation.

3. What factors affect the potential between the two cylinders with a grounded strip?

The potential between the two cylinders is affected by the distance between the cylinders, the radius of the cylinders, and the charge distribution on the cylinders. The presence of other conductors or insulators nearby can also affect the potential distribution.

4. How does the potential change as the distance between the cylinders is increased?

As the distance between the cylinders increases, the potential between them decreases. This is because the electric field weakens with distance, resulting in a decrease in potential. However, the potential will still follow the same general distribution pattern, with higher potential at the smaller cylinder and lower potential at the larger cylinder.

5. Can the potential between the two cylinders ever be zero?

Yes, the potential between the two cylinders can be zero if they are both grounded or if the charge distribution on the cylinders is symmetric and balanced. In these cases, the potential at any point between the cylinders would be equal to the potential of the grounded strip, which is typically set to zero.