Find region for which F(x,y) = (x+y)^2 is Lipschitz in y

• Thread starter jamesb1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lipschitz
In summary: The Lipschitz condition is satisfied for any x and K, but for specific values of x and K there are intervals that satisfy the condition for y1 and y2, which creates a region. In summary, the conversation discusses the need to find a region in the (x,y)-plane where a function is Lipschitz with respect to y, with a given Lipschitz constant K. The speaker suggests fixing x and finding an interval for y that satisfies the Lipschitz condition, but notes that this method may not work for all values of x. They ask for any insights on how to determine a region that does not depend on the variables x and y.
jamesb1
As the title says, I need to find such a region.

Taking any x, and any y1 and y2 I used the expression |F(x,y1) - F(x,y2)| and plugged in the function respectively for y1 and y2.

Now I have to find values for x and y such that the following condition (Lipschitz condition) is satisfied:

| 2x + (y1 + y2) | 0 (indeed after having simplified out the previous expression w.r.t the Lipschitz condition)

My initial idea was to find x for which y = 0 and then the same thing for y1 and y2. This method though is not enough since for x = 0 the region of y1 and y2 for which the condition is satisfied, will have to depend on y1 and y2 directly. It will be better to attain a region such that it will not depend on the variables (obviously). I hope I am not incorrect here.

I cannot seem to find a way to get this region and I would very much appreciate any insight given.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jamesb1 said:
As the title says, I need to find such a region.

Taking any x, and any y1 and y2 I used the expression |F(x,y1) - F(x,y2)| and plugged in the function respectively for y1 and y2.

Now I have to find values for x and y such that the following condition (Lipschitz condition) is satisfied:

| 2x + (y1 + y2) | 0 (indeed after having simplified out the previous expression w.r.t the Lipschitz condition)

My initial idea was to find x for which y = 0 and then the same thing for y1 and y2. This method though is not enough since for x = 0 the region of y1 and y2 for which the condition is satisfied, will have to depend on y1 and y2 directly. It will be better to attain a region such that it will not depend on the variables (obviously). I hope I am not incorrect here.

I cannot seem to find a way to get this region and I would very much appreciate any insight given.

Thank you.

For each [itex]x \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] and each [itex]K > 0[/itex] there exists an interval [tex]L_K(x) = \left[-\tfrac12K - x,\tfrac12K - x\right][/tex] such that if [itex]y_1 \in L_K(x)[/itex] and [itex]y_2 \in L_K(x)[/itex] then [itex]|F(x,y_1) - F(x,y_2)| \leq K|y_1 - y_2|[/itex], so [itex]f_x : y \mapsto F(x,y)[/itex] is lipschitz with respect to [itex]y[/itex] with lipschitz constant [itex]K[/itex].

Note that you must fix [itex]x[/itex] and then determine the interval; if you want a region of the [itex](x,y)[/itex]-plane in which [itex]F[/itex] is lipschitz with respect to [itex]y[/itex] with constant [itex]K[/itex] then the condition is
[tex]
|F(x_1,y_1) - F(x_2,y_2)|
= |x_1^2 - x_2^2 + 2x_1y_1 - 2x_2y_2 + y_1^2 - y_2^2| \leq K|y_1 - y_2|.
[/tex]

Please post such questions in the homework forum in the future :smile: I'll move it to there now!

Shouldn't the interval not contain variables though, to have a definite region? I know you can choose any x and fix it, but it seems indefinite to me.

x should remain fixed instead of having x1 and x2, no? I am unsure how to attain values for both x and y such that the following inequality is satisfied:

| 2x + (y1 + y2) | <= K

Related to Find region for which F(x,y) = (x+y)^2 is Lipschitz in y

1. What is the definition of Lipschitz continuity?

Lipschitz continuity is a mathematical concept that describes the smoothness of a function. A function is considered Lipschitz continuous if there exists a constant number, called the Lipschitz constant, that bounds the ratio of the change in the function's output to the change in its input. In other words, the function's rate of change is limited by a constant value.

2. How is Lipschitz continuity related to the function (x+y)^2?

The function (x+y)^2 is Lipschitz in y if there exists a Lipschitz constant that bounds the change in the function's output when the input y changes. In this case, the Lipschitz constant is equal to 2x+2, which means that the function's rate of change in the y-direction is always bounded by this value.

3. Is the function (x+y)^2 Lipschitz in x as well?

Yes, the function (x+y)^2 is Lipschitz in both x and y. This is because the Lipschitz constant for x is also equal to 2x+2, meaning that the function's rate of change in the x-direction is also bounded by this value.

4. How can I determine the region for which the function (x+y)^2 is Lipschitz in y?

To determine the region for which the function (x+y)^2 is Lipschitz in y, you can take the derivative of the function with respect to y and set it equal to the Lipschitz constant. This will give you the boundary values of y that define the region.

5. Why is it important to know the Lipschitz region for a function?

Knowing the Lipschitz region for a function is important because it helps us understand how smooth and well-behaved the function is. Functions that are Lipschitz continuous have well-defined rates of change, making them easier to analyze and work with in mathematical models and applications.